Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unjust banning??

Options
  • 11-05-2005 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

I just got banned last night from a board and the reason given was that a 'muppet check' was run on my account and another and we came up as the same person. We are not, we are flatmates. We have one broadband connection and a router so three comps can use the internet similtnaiously. we use seperate comps. Does anyone have any advice, from a technical or boards prespective as to how i can prove this or who i can make my case to as i have already Pm'ed the moderator and didnt even bother his ass replying.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

take it to the feedback forum.

Further the mod in question may not have checked his PMs/logged in today - we are voluntary, not paid 24hr servants to the whims of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What uberwolf said. Dual accounts are a cause for banning and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

i will do thanks,

BTW where is the feedback forum.

No i got a receipt yesterday that he had read the pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

padser wrote:
    i will do thanks,

BTW where is the feedback forum.

No i got a receipt yesterday that he had read the pm
    Fifth forum down, when you look under the System dropdown menu.

Some mods are busy with work/study/fapping, they can't always reply to your pms straight away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not being smart here Padser but if you have been banned from a forum then thats 2 bannings in 3 days.I banned you from Pets and now another one.Think you should look at what youre doing wrong here.

Also yourself and Banterville are playing off each other and generally acting the muppet.
    I get a Pm from you explaining things and I lift the ban and then less than a minute later I get an almost identical word for word pm from "Banterville" with a similar explanation.If you ask me this "flatmate" excuse is an out and out lie and Ive a sneaky feeling that youre one and the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

padser wrote:
    I just got banned last night from a board and the reason given was that a 'muppet check'
    Not strictly true. The reason was that after you were spouting ****e the moderator, being a soft touch if you ask me, did a muppet check before going ahead and banning you.

So what you are complaining about is his going to the effort to see if maybe you were a reasonable poster elsewhere and finding that you aren't.

ok proof coming up. myself and banterville are going to post at the exact same time.

We are going to do it at exactly the same time. This will mean if it was just me i wouldnt EDIT * I meant couldnt *have logged out and in in a quick enough time.

im padser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

Im banterville

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

padser wrote:
    ok proof coming up. myself and banterville are going to post at the exact same time.

We are going to do it at exactly the same time. This will mean if it was just me i wouldnt have logged out and in in a quick enough time.

Eh, couldn't you do that just by opening up two Internet Explorer windows?

i dont tink so...surely the cookies mean you cant log in as two users at the same time???

padser wrote:
    i dont tink so...surely the cookies mean you cant log in as two users at the same time???

I don't know - you tell me. Or ask Banterville - he might know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Padser - you will not get the attn of teh appropriate people here and this thread will be locked shortly.

Start a new thread in feedback and eplain your complaint there.

righto, ill migrate to feedback, i didnt know about feedback when i started this tread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Despatch wrote:
    Eh, couldn't you do that just by opening up two Internet Explorer windows?

or one IE and one FF.

Two different browsers (say IE and Firefox) would do the trick. Still not why he was banned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭lateasever

i too am a victim of unjust banning
    i feel your pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

hey we are not that clever. We can't tell our arse from our elbow when it comes to computers.

Talliesin wrote:
    Two different browsers (say IE and Firefox) would do the trick. .

fine. well iv given you the facts. 2 people. 2 comps. 1 router. 1 connection. how can we prove it?????
    Talliesin wrote:
    Still not why he was banned anyway.

Will you please read the post where is was banned. IT says banned for having 2 accounts!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW stark has now PM'ed me back and said he will pass it onto the admins. Does anyone know what this means

• Advertisement

hey we are not that clever. We can't tell our arse from our elbow when it comes to computers.

So between you, you have only one arse?

Something strange going on here, I can smell it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

padser wrote:

BTW stark has now PM'ed me back and said he will pass it onto the admins. Does anyone know what this means

it means that it is been passed on to the right hand of the god of boards.
    don't think you will have much luck getting your point through but hey..... errr.... Good Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

padser wrote:

It means you 'd want to get your head down. ;)

It a common enought setup you have but difficult for the mods to tell if you are two seperate people. I was accused of the same at one stage and the other user was on a different isp. The fact that the Mod was checking you out means you are on his "Radar" so probably would have been banned anyway.

padser wrote:
    Will you please read the post where is was banned. IT says banned for having 2 accounts!!!!!!!!!!!
    I read a post that said you were a troll, and that your appearing to have 2 accounts didn't exactly speak of extenuating circumstances. It's the trolling that got you banned.

If they even take the trouble to read through banterville's posts and mine you can see they have diffferent writing styles and all. They are abviously written by different people. also you will see some attrocious spelling under my posts that simply dont occur on banterville's cos he is good at spelling.

It is an extremely common set up to have one internet connection and different people using it. If they bother to check the third user is Spazed and he has been on boards a lot longer then either of us. He only browses computer sections (or almost only) and clearly has much more tecnical knowledge then myself or banterville but i suppose most of you believe the three of us are actually the same person.

The reason i was 'on the radar' as you put it in LGB was that my opinions dont tally with al lot of people there, but i was always careful to stay within the rules. He just wanted an excuse to kick me out. They dont like conflicting views in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

have you ever throught that the mods actually HAVE lives as well?
    they don't have the time, not to mention be paid for doing such an investigation everytime someone miffs them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We can't tell our arse from our elbow when it comes to computers.

You managed to set up a router to connect 3 PC's to a broadband connection - if you did that, I'm fairly sure having two browers open isn't beyond you....
    The reason i was 'on the radar' as you put it in LGB was that my opinions dont tally with al lot of people there, but i was always careful to stay within the rules. He just wanted an excuse to kick me out. They dont like conflicting views in there.

There are plenty of conflicting opinions in LGB. To be honest, I was surprised the LGB mods were as tolerant of you as they were - some of your postings were just an inch inside of trolling. I've seen people banned for a lot less than some of the crap you posted there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Padser--Ive just read through the 2 Pms sent to me by yourself and Banterville.The "writing style" is identical and Banterville even quoted back to me something which was in my reply to yourself.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I am Banterville!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

uberwolf wrote:
    take it to the feedback forum.

Further the mod in question may not have checked his PMs/logged in today - we are voluntary, not paid 24hr servants to the whims of users.

No but alot of you sure do ban people on a whim and you waste your time trawling through IP addresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement