Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Called off over smell of smoke

Options
  • 11-05-2005 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Todays motoring section of the IT has this one.

Chap (non-smoker) shows up in Instructors car, has been cleaned inside and out. Instructor refuses to take him on the basis of the smell of the car.

No refund, no right to resit promptly. Effectively at the whim of the tester.
    I'd defend the testers right to a smoke free working environment.

Car was 'regularly used by the insructors students, with no problem before'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

No Wonder there is Long Waits, this is the kinda thing that have 120,000 people waiting to do a test, person should appeal and be proactive as the Tester is a total Gobs1te, it is not like there was someone smoking, what if the person had farted, would he have done the same:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I'd defend the testers right to work in a fart free environment. :)

Arsehole should have opened the window.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i heard that this morning on the radio
    this is really taking the p*ss, no wonder there is over a year wait to get your test when there are complete w*nkers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Hold on a minute...

Is this tobacco smoke
    OR
    Is this "engine smoke"
    Because if it was the engine and if it was bad enough you can see the testers POV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote:

ok, maybe the tester had a job interview later that day, because he heard about ethics and can no longer stand arbitrarly failing drivers, and he didn't want even a whiff of smoke on his interview suit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

kbannon wrote:

Just read that . What a load of complete bollox. If the ashtray in a car is used, the smell of stale cigarettes lingers. But that's not smoke. The smell of stale cigarettes is not detrimental to one's health.

As for not allowing a test to go ahead because of a scuff on the door? Jesus Christ. What the f*ck is wrong with these people? Are they on a poxy commision or something?

And I thought the wanker that tested me 20 years ago was a cantankerous old fart. They're getting worse. Never mind that many people would rather have a root canal than do a driving test but pricks like this just make it worse and screw up the whole system. We must be the laughing stock of the whole f*cking world.

Jesus.

Right, I'm finished.

OK. Now I'm finished.

Tony

The problem with arbitrary failures is two-fold

*Personal annoyance and loss of approx e40 fee

but more imporanty

*Another 6+ months on loaded insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its more like 12 months in most of the country unless you're willing to take cancellations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

uberwolf wrote:
    Todays motoring section of the IT has this one.

Chap (non-smoker) shows up in Instructors car, has been cleaned inside and out. Instructor refuses to take him on the basis of the smell of the car.

No refund, no right to resit promptly. Effectively at the whim of the tester.
    I'd defend the testers right to a smoke free working environment.

Well until we get a definition of In a statement it said: "Vehicles presented for driving tests are regarded as an enclosed workspace, and therefore must be smoke-free as defined in the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2004."
    We'll have to relax.
    ie, is an enclosed space that has and will again, but not at the time used for smoking defined in this act.

I see a complaint was lodged, good.

However, this behaviour without any warning of any kind, given the car had been used for the same purpose in the past, deserves a hot cigar in the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Thats so typical of irish ways :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

One would have thought that an average of 20-30% of cars presented would reek of stale cigarette smoke! Could the instructor be fined for smoking in the workplace????

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The car was owne by a driving instructer and is a work vehicle, does that not mean its iilegal to smoke in it?

The first thing I thought of when I read the title was that he deserved to fail if he turned up in a car that was on fire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

wow, if that happened to me i'd go ballistic, it manages to combine two of my biggest irritants, irish driving test procedures and fúcking anti-smoking nazis.
    When I asked the driving tester what I was supposed to do now, he said, 'reapply'. I was given no refund.

Fair play to him for not hospitalising that instructor in a fit of rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

So what will happen when one goes to test on their own car and that one is a smoker? :D I see this case will not be the last one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

echomadman wrote:
    wow, if that happened to me i'd go ballistic, it manages to combine two of my biggest irritants, irish driving test procedures and fúcking anti-smoking nazis.

And I think I would have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

What gets me more than the tester failing the car is that the instructor's car stinks of smoke. If I'd got into an instructor's car for a lesson and it reeked, I'd like to think I'd have got out and asked for my money back. More likely I'd have taken the lesson, not booked any more with the same guy and bad mouthed him for weeks.

Stephen wrote:
    Its more like 12 months in most of the country unless you're willing to take cancellations.

Ah no, its bad but 8 months at most, saying 12 is just tabloid-ish

re cancellations: you are supposed to tell then 10 days in advance if you want to cancel, and you get a refund, but lets say you want to cancel 5 days in advance, why bother? you're money is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

my wife waited 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Tabloidish, but true. I know several people who waited 14+ months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jlang wrote:
    Tabloidish, but true. I know several people who waited 14+ months.

My younger bro, 13 months and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Shocking :(

I sincerely hope that a formal complaint will lead to the most serious reprimand for the tester and an apology in person to the guy taking the test

An apology from a Gov official.... 100:1 against.

echomadman wrote:
    wow, if that happened to me i'd go ballistic, ......

too true, I'd not think you are alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Idiots like this are giving the country a bad name, That instrcutor should be given a prepremand and fined a days wages. The person he refused to do test should get a test FOC within a week.

Who gives muppets like this the choice to cancel teh test on a whim, f**kin anti smoking nazi. Ireland is becoming a joke that civil servant muppets can go " Oh Oh i'll die of cancer cause i see a (stubbed)cigarette butt in a ashtray". god help the bumbling idiot. ffs. :mad:

Theres just too much Health & safety workshy wasters in the employ of public services.
    He should apaolgize to teh person he cancelled the test on.......or they break his legs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

All the same, I wouldn't fancy spending the 40 min it takes to do a driving test sitting in a car reeking of stale smoke or any odours. Wjile it seems a bit whimsical of the tester he is well within his rights to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Applied last January ..taking in a couple of weeks..the waiting list is beyond a joke..and if I fail and have to wait another 16 months for a test..well.. I will not be a happy bunny.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

BrianD wrote:
    All the same, I wouldn't fancy spending the 40 min it takes to do a driving test sitting in a car reeking of stale smoke or any odours. Wjile it seems a bit whimsical of the tester he is well within his rights to refuse.

Umm seriously, could he not just have opened the window??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Unless there was an actual bonafide electrical fire in the car, the tester deserves to have his nails pulled out and fed to him. Bad enough you have to wait between 6 and 12 months(sometimes more) for a test, either taking public transport or getting fisted by an insurance company, and then you have to contend with uppity civil servants. Load of bollocks. Im all for proper testing(God only knows there are enough muppets on the road as it is), but the backlog is chronic altogether.

Advertisement