Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coppola

• 11-05-2005 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

does anyone know what traits or characteristics of Coppola's appear in his films?
    its in relation to the auteur theory. Ive an exam on it soon.
    ive watched a fair few of his films but im rubbish at looking at them all in a broader sense :confused:

all help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

does it have to be coppola?

the director usually used as the basis for auteur theory is hitchcock.

but coppola...hmm i'll have to watch a few of his movies again to answer your question (any excuse :D)

quick question:

Do you have to be pro-auteur theory? You can always take the opposite side to the argument. That he's not an auteur and that you believe the theory does'nt work (will require you to prove it though, so work on your genre theories and know the background of your choice director, elements such as screenwriters etc can help disaprove such theories)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Loretta.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

does it have to be coppola?

Do you have to be pro-auteur theory? You can always take the opposite side to the argument. That he's not an auteur and that you believe the theory does'nt work (will require you to prove it though, so work on your genre theories and know the background of your choice director, elements such as screenwriters etc can help disaprove such theories)

yeah it has to be coppola cuz we r gonna be shown a 3 min clip from one of his films and have to make an argument using auteur theory,spectatorship theory,postcolonialism. u can use all theories in the argument but i reckon postcolonialism will be handy too, particularly if the clip is from 'apocalypse now'
    yeah u r probs right about him not bein part of the auteur theory so i might just do a comparison with hitchcock as well as a bit on postcolonialism.

hmm

All i can say is brush up on your theories before you go in. What University is this for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coppola is'nt an auteur, he's a control freak which is completly different!

Properly his most notable stylistic charactaristic is his ability to create period atmosphere and detail. From Godfather through Rumble Fish, Tucker, Peggy Sue Got Married etc he has clearly had a love for Amercias mythic past and recreating that.

Mike.

You can say that about alot of directors. Hitchcock was considered a control freak (his control over the female cats members is legendary) but is also considered an auteur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Loretta.

cheers lads!

at least i know what direction im heading in now.
    im sure ill get sum inspiration on the day!

its for NUI Maynooth btw. tho i wudnt call it a university :rolleyes:

just its an interesting approach to the topic.

i just had to do two huge esseys on the topics. (Groan theorising the specular...HOW I HATE THEE!)

dont think i did auteur theory in the end...cant remember what i did...AHHH thats gonna bug me for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

mike65 wrote:

Properly his most notable stylistic charactaristic is his ability to create period atmosphere and detail. From Godfather through Rumble Fish, Tucker, Peggy Sue Got Married etc he has clearly had a love for Amercias mythic past and recreating that.

Mike.

Not to mention, "Jack" theres a film that fits the laws of the diminishing returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead Jack

Coppola was part of a wave of directors that were mostly auteur, and is famously an auteur because he was in that wave.

Unlike some of the others he experimented with many different types and styles of film.

All the films have at least one dark moment of fear, and few if any have truly happy endings.

Many of his characters are thought to be based on his own life, particularly in the conversation and the godfather trilogy, and I think this means he's happier with what he knows, which goes against the methods of a true Post Colonial director, who for the most part like exploring other traditions.

Dead Jack wrote:
    Coppola was part of a wave of directors that were mostly auteur, and is famously an auteur because he was in that wave.

How do you mean they were mostly auteur?

I mean you are or you aren't........

• Advertisement

he's referring to the *film school brats* that Coppala jammed the door to hollywood open for. (he got both Lucas and Spielberg into hollywood)

great documantry on it called Raging bulls and easy riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead Jack

there were plenty of them and more than some were auteur, and as such he's considered to have helped auteur cinema out as much as Penn, Kubrick, Scorcese, Spielberg or Altman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Found some info here that might be useful

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    he's referring to the *film school brats* that Coppala jammed the door to hollywood open for. (he got both Lucas and Spielberg into hollywood)

great documantry on it called Raging bulls and easy riders.

I was making a joke.......

It's a very good book as well.

Auteur theory is less and less popular at the moment, I read recently that Goddard is a little more dismissive of it lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

His control over the female cats members is legendary

ohhh man I got a dirty mind :D:D

Meeaow

dont blame you. Hitchcock always had the sort of female leads of the women who he was attracted to and had turned him down when he was younger, so it was sort of a revenge fantasy in alot of his films (the ice blonde bimbo's)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    dont blame you. Hitchcock always had the sort of female leads of the women who he was attracted to and had turned him down when he was younger, so it was sort of a revenge fantasy in alot of his films (the ice blonde bimbo's)

So basically one fat bloke with a weird obessesion with "icy" blondes who rejected him, is justification of auteur theory?

"Ugly guy gets turned down by attractive woman, justifies complex film theory in inane concept"

is a justification for film theory. It expresses the insane amount of control hitchcock had over his work. I dont agree with AUtuer theory myself but i had to study it and Hitchcock's ability to get his way with almost anything involving his films is believed to be one of the main reasons for the films success. Hence Auteur theory.

Have you every read any of Laura Maulvey's (sp? i dont know it well) male gaze theory, seems really messed up but if you stop and think about it and then picture really bad hollywood films (like Resident Evil) you cop on that most of it is true.

Advertisement