Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any innovative ideas???

Options
  • 11-05-2005 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey dude's me gotta do a final year project in college this comin year...
    it can be something new and ground breaking or something which improves an industry...
    Any ideas would be a huge help...
    Thanks gang

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

a) What are your interests?
    b) Were you given any advice by a lecturer?
    c) Any thoughts yourself on the matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

i was thinkin about doin a delivery system for a shop my parents own a shop so could bring it together wit a business...
    it would be for home deliveries...
    be able to allocate deliveries to certain vans which are allocated to certain areas, allow drivers to print out their day plans...
    keep accounts, add new account etc...
    wat u think???
    i was goin to involve online shoppin but seems too difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

WizZard wrote:
    a) What are your interests?
    b) Were you given any advice by a lecturer?
    c) Any thoughts yourself on the matter?

d) What are you studying
    e) What should the fyp involve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

What technologies are you taught in college?

Can you give a sample of FYP's from previous years.

What course are you doin.

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Search Programming archives for "project ideas".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

i'm doin bis in ucc
    covered programming languages such as java vb javascript and html....
    an example of one fyp from last year was to calculate the time it should take
    to do a project the fella did this wit fidelity in boston used some theorms they gave him....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How about something that translates various dialects like txt speak / predictive text etc. into English. It could also add punctuation. Could be used for sms messages and emails etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Go with something mobile or highly distributed.

try to avoid standard run of the mill web front end with some crap db in the background, it just been done too many times before.

If you are a highly competent java programmer, look into J2EE and attach this to some type of mobile device, i.e. a mobile phone. (J2ME)

alternatively you could try something like ontologies, don't know much about this myself, but i guess it would be new to your course and that would get you extra cred.

If you are in 3rd year now, hold off on deciding on your project for as long as possible, mess around with different technologies first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aspnet

something that makes use of location based services and mobile devices would be good. On the wireless forum they mentioned some websites to do with Wi-Fi location based services......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deedebee

you could try this
    http://www.theapplegallery.com/cchess/drag.html

it's about a chess game in colour. it's uniqueness lies in the fact that it's not a game about attacking but rather co-operation

i'm developping it as i go along (i'm not a programmer but getting titbits left right and center)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Chess game is far from esy, as you have to write your ow nphysics engine to cover the moves of the pieces!! :(

With regard to your original idea, the online shopping isnt ot hard, its a simple shopping cart and can be done using Java servlets, a shopping cart program can be found easily enough on the net or I can send you one for comparisson.

I did an online banking system last year, what a disaster! Had to go write my own protocols and a lot harder than I had anticipated! Wont be making that mistake again, but the only advice I would give you is to make sure you dont leave it until the last couple of weeks!! :eek: (like me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chess game is far from esy, as you have to write your ow nphysics engine to cover the moves of the pieces!!

In the words of Harry Molloy, "Ye Wha!?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Chess game is far from esy, as you have to write your ow nphysics engine to cover the moves of the pieces!! :(

Physics Engine? are the chess pieces gonna be banging off walls and blowing each other up?

id buy that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

The chess pieces are clearly going to be people (ala Mr. Burns full sized chess set) and the physics engine has to take care of the blood and body parts.

I'd like to see anyone call that a boring game of chess. :p Would be a nice project though...if you were insane. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Stupid idea, but seeing as you're doing business, you could do something where you try to model behaviours in a market.

You could do this in an object oriented way. You could have your market object, which repsonds to actions by Consumer Objects which want to consume certain things. The mechanics of which could be filled in by your business knowledge. You could also have supplier/producer objects, which will have their own demands and needs.

You could set it up so that each consumer could have different priorities (either randomly generated or preset before you run your simulation). The market could have various rates preset and so forth.

Is that any help ideas wise?

As for physics chess, does anyone remember battle chess in the 80s? For some reason I now have an idea of chess pieces throwing grenades and sending other pieces flying around the board (thanks to the physics bit)

Take care,
    P.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How about pulling stock information from a database, graphing it and then creating a GUI which can zoom in on certain years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

cddc3 wrote:
    Hey dude's me gotta do a final year project in college this comin year...
    it can be something new and ground breaking or something which improves an industry...
    Any ideas would be a huge help...
    Thanks gang

You see, the funny thing is, when people have new ground-breaking industrial ideas, they're often unwilling to give them out arbitrarily.

Advertisement