Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Counter Strike since Windows Update ?!?

• 11-05-2005 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Windows Update did its thing last night (was inadvertently set to auto-update), since then I have been unable to play Counter Strike, HalfLife 2 Deathmatch or Call of Duty online.

There was one update - some sort of antispyware junk Microsoft claim to have thrown together. Doesn't show in add remove prog.s to remove damn thing.

Other possibility is that Clicksilver were having technical issues in my area(?)

Thought if it was Windows update then other folk might be affected - let me know please if this is same for you......

- Otherwise think twice about installing this latest patch - may block a port somewhere or something. & Internet connection is brutally slow.

Thanks,

Raiser.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

What excatly was it updating. it is highly possible that it installed SP2 or an ICF update, and enabled the windows firewall, which you should disable.

Other than that, it should work ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

PC is XP SP2, has been updated periodically via Windows update since a fresh rebuild in Jan. This update last night was one particular patch - wish I had the KBXXXXXXX number - must google it.

Anyway its meant to be an anti-spyware patch which Microsoft say "shouldn't replace your anti-virus software" ever since I have no multiplayer & went to a speed test page last night, ADSL was performing miserably @ around speed of 56K modem.

Maybe Bill just wanted to make a beta-tester of me..... :mad:

EDIT * Sorry should have mentioned that Counter Strike never cared about Firewall before & turned it of just to test.

** Also forgot to thank you for taking time to respond - appreciate your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This isn't a Broadband Issue. Moved.

With all due respect Gimlet (sic)....Did you even read the initial post? Was a query to users of Clicksilver Broadband to see if they have also had this issue with their Broadband connections.

Online gaming is a reason why very many Broadband users bother to sign up for Broadband.

I don't know what caused this Broadband issue - & you sure as hell certainly don't.

What qualifies you to mess up this thread? Did your brother or cousin set the site up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Raiser wrote:
    What qualifies you to mess up this thread? Did your brother or cousin set the site up?
    You had 4 posts, Giblet is a moderator of the Broadband forum (with 9,150 posts) - I'll let you figure it out ;)

http://eu.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200505_windows.mspx - only one patch this month and it's for windows 2000. So it's not obvious what changed. When was the PC patched up to date - because patches come out on second tuesday of each month..

To rule out Windows XP updates use system restore to undo the update
    Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

I take it you have done a trawl through - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4 as well ?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your prompt, thorough and informative reply.

I'll roll back that update later and I'll ring Clicksilver on their 3 hour helpline to rule out technical difficulties in general/my area.

Giblet irrated me with his daemon-like response and dismissive attitude.
    - Mods should remember that they aren't just censors - a good Mod uses judgement and guidance also.

PS: I only had 4 posts on this site. This merely means that I had posted to boards.ie 4 times previously. This statistic is not a measure of who I am - or my abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok, the thread title contains the word WINDOWS!

The first two paragraphs are:
    Windows Update did its thing last night (was inadvertently set to auto-update), since then I have been unable to play Counter Strike, HalfLife 2 Deathmatch or Call of Duty online.

There was one update - some sort of antispyware junk Microsoft claim to have thrown together. Doesn't show in add remove prog.s to remove damn thing.

Please feel free to use the Feedback forum if you think I didn't use good judgement or acted improperly.

Advertisement