Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite pub, and why

Options
  • 11-05-2005 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I know this is a bit like my 'where will I go for my birthday' query but just in the name of getting a chat going (and so I can also rediscover Dublin)...what do you all think?

I was in Kehoes the other Saturday and man, I really like that pub, it's like being in someones front room.

Oh and I HATE those new 'superpubs' like Sansara and that sort of a thing. BORING and no atmosphere, you could be in any city in the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

Superpub? does it have super powers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RuthC

It can hear from at least 1.2 miles away. That's pretty super, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

Kehoe's, without a doubt. Great staff, great pints, great mood. Even if you lost yer marbles and went and banned the old tobacco.

Stag's Head and Grogan's are pretty up there, too.

I haven't been in the Stags Head in years, it's going up for sale today don'tcha know?

Grogans is pretty good too, full of auwl book readers and paper scribblers though..at least that what they think..

I have to say for a fancy drink I do like The Mandarin Bar in The Westbury. Yum.

Stag's up for sale??? Hope they don't mess around with the place. Grogan's was a haunt of mine for aeons, I used to do a bit of the old writing/reading/romancing on the premises :)

• Advertisement

See I can understand the reading and the romancing bit, but could you not have done the like um writing at home?

ah well I write when the muse takes me, on the bus, in the pub, under the stars (needs torch) or in transit... all sounds very pretentious mais c'est moi ;);)

I hope you don't write and drive at the same time, there's laws agin that you know...

Not a chance, I've seen the results of reckless on the road writing :)

Ah what I wouldn't give for a kind pint in Kehoe's right about now

Mmmm, me too. And I'm just about ten minutes walk away too.
    Oh and then onto Cafe Bar Deli for something to eat....I'll just have to contend with a walk on Sandymount strand and some pasta (no alcohol included...)

• Advertisement

10 mins? Lucky, lucky, lucky. Be a while before I'm that close again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I don't really have a favourite pub any more. It used to be the Oak, but then that lost it's appeal.

Now I like a pub where I can sit and chat to friends over a decent pint without being subjected to aural sodomy of any kind. I prefer old man type bars like O'Neills where there's no music and you can sit there comfortably. It's more relaxed and not as pretentious as some spots around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

RuthC wrote:

I was in Kehoes the other Saturday and man, I really like that pub, it's like being in someones front room.

The one on Mount St.?
    xm

No Kehoes is just off Grafton St, South Anne st I think. You should check it out.

Actually I ended up going out by accident last night, checked out Gleesons in Irishtown, Hogans, Whelans and Carnival...all very cool. Same as someone else was saying, at the moment I'm into old man pubs.

Half bicycle - where are you? do you not live in Dublin anymore then?

Where am I? City of lost souls and broken dreams or whatever you want to call it. One thing for sure, I'm not in Kansas anymore!

(London)

Hmm, just got back from London after spending 5 years there. Don't envy you much mate...

Been here 6 years, doing ok but it's not Dublin. Like any big city it's got its good and bad points...

Yeah I loved and hated London in equal measures but just had to come home at the end of the day. Am so much happy here now.

I'll prob give it a wee while longer, see how it goes. I'm not sure about the curent Dublin vibe but I guess that's me being old and farty about it

Would I be gay if I said The George?

• Advertisement

Where are you living there? How old are you then?

Well SF - I don't know if we could question your sexuality if you said The George, but we could certainly question your taste

i like the cut of your jib young lady

RuthC wrote:
    Where are you living there? How old are you then?

Do you mean me? I live in Sarf London out Tooting way and I am (ahem) thirtysomething :D

Why thank you, I got the pattern from womans own.

Do you mean me? I live in Sarf London out Tooting way and I am (ahem) thirtysomething :D

I see I see, yes I know Tooting a bit, I'm was South London lady myself, Rotherhithe and all that carry on, Canary Wharf and the Thames...

Now by thirtysomething do you mean forty?

RuthC wrote:
    Now by thirtysomething do you mean forty?

:eek: Not quite. I'll be hitting my mid-thirties very soon (he said, cagily) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

God I hope u dont write and drive cos if u crashed ur car would be a write off gwahahaha (i know it was bad, sorry lol)

i gotta say sin e down on the quays (ormond quay i think) is really good, and for all you wine drinkers out there ye can get a half bottle for bout €6.70 or so, the only drawback is that they dont sell bulmers but the place itself is good and the music is usually a good live act. I also like the legal eagle, they do a kickass open mic night and in my experience the acts on are usually pretty good. Isaac Butts was brilliant but sadly i think its still closed, i just hope they dont mess with the venue downstairs, i really thought that the dinginess sorta added to the whole atmosphere.

The dank Moe, not the dank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

*on topic*

Doyle's at the top end of D'Olier St.

Quality pub.

*off topic*

Advertisement