Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incentives for JC

Options
  • 11-05-2005 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Do you think parents should offer incentives to us for doing well in the JC?
    Like something that would encourage us to do well in the JC eg "I'll give you €20 for every A you get" or "I'll bring you to DisneyLand if you get over 5 A's"

What do you guys think?

Do you think incentives for doing well are good? 8 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Brian017MimikyuDiarmsquidCutie18Ireland[Deleted User]anzNewaglishhappy.pi.day 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

nah thts a load of crap it should be your own personal ambitions that lead ya to do well in the JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I don't think that should happen. The Jc has nowt to do wiht your parents, and therefore you should keep yourself motivated and not ask for rewards for doing good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Depends really. I was already motivated, I made a deal with my parents in order to gain from all the work I was putting in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

No
    yea thats what i was thinking too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 katiewobbles

My dad has given me an in centive. rrewards, like 20 for an a 10 for a b 5 for a c nothing for anything less. doesnt push me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

broadband is what im getting (yeah right)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 helenstar

my parents said they would get me a fender for after my jc.......id say ill be getting it myself now! just 4 weeks left...! way too long.

i should really start studying.

ohh! and just to make e laugh (and me cry) im not finished my stupit civics project yet. errrrr . its all the teachers fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

[Off-topic]Get a real Fender, too many Squier's around for my liking.[/Off-topic].

My parents are giving me some money depending on grades (ie 20 for an A, 10 for a B, nothing for anything else...), but I honestly don't think €50 is enough to make me study hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 anz

No
    I did my junior last year and the insentive of a trip to Newyork was the only thing that made me study!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

No

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 anz

No
    Diarmsquid wrote:

:rolleyes:

Why are you commenting on my location??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's misspelt in your 'location' thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think it just puts more pressure on people, instead of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

What we do is everyone in our two highest classes puts in a tenner which equals 600 Euro and whoever gets the highest result gets 500. The 2nd highest gets 75 and the 3rd gets 25

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Sweet wrote:
    What we do is everyone in our two highest classes puts in a tenner which equals 600 Euro and whoever gets the highest result gets 500. The 2nd highest gets 75 and the 3rd gets 25
    Good idea. But I'd say it'd be pretty predictable. At least in my year (*everyone* knows (thinks) Mr. X is gonna do the best).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

No
    Shouldn't name people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

500 for 4 As, 300 for 3 As. What a joke. For some it might work but for the majority who I'd imagine are nervous enough as it is will put even more pressure on them. Plus alot of parents are having enough trouble making ends meet as it is and these "middle class" ideas just are nt viable for many. Any kid that works hard, survives it, go's in there and does his/her best should be rewarded. But the idea of giving them targets as if they were working in some office job selling hoovers is ludicrous. There 15 not 35. What they need and what I needed was support doing mine, just being there giving me some slack, aware that I was under pressure. Parenting. Leave the motivational strategies for the office.

Advertisement