Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which PC game should I get?

Options
  • 11-05-2005 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Rite, my monthly buying of a game is almost upon me -

3 possibilities:

SWAT 4 - Ive only seen a few reviews and they are mixed, Have not played any SWAT game, a police FPS would be a nice change - any good?

Close Combat: First to Fight- Looks pretty intresting, does it do anything better that FSW?

Silent Hunter 3: I aint heard a bad thing about this game but I just finished Rome Total war and I dunno if my brain can handle another life sucking game.
    It looks fab tho. Intresting to play as a Kraut also.

Posting this as I cant DL any Demos :(

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

HL2, rome total war, darwinia, lego star wars, or hold off for the new Rainbow six.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I didn't like the Swat 4 demo at all :( Splinter Cell:Pandora tomorrow was an excellent game, so going by that, I'd say the new release Splinter Cell:Chaor Theory is just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

HL2 - nearly finished it, moved flat, no internet. 'unable to find account info' have not been able to play in in 6 months, Im not even gonna start winging about it.
    I'll never touch HL agian, I dont like being made to feel a criminal.
    but DOD Source is out soon.......

ROME - Been there done that. Game of the year for me. I never played that kinda game b4 but Im hooked now. Barbarian Invasion out soon :D

Lego Star Wars looks a rite laugh but I think you can finish it in an few hours?

Are splinter cell games quite open, i.e. non liniar?
    I like the tactical thang, but dont like puzzle solving stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

splinter cell is very linear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

the splintercell games are liniar to a certain extent.
    you have fixed missions an a level, but there are tons of ways to finish your mission.
    have played all three, only the SP demo of the third sofar but will be my this months buy.
    also the multiplayer coop mode in SC3 is supposed to be quite amazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

SWAT 4 is great, the only real downside to it (imho) is that the rules of engagement mean you have to shout a warning to the bad guys before you can shoot them. This means that often as not they'll shoot you first. The only workable way around this is to use the non-lethal shotgun to subdue them, which doesn't have great range, and also your team will often shoot someone once with it and stand there shouting at them untill they recover and wipe your team out. Great fun in general though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

S.W.A.T. 4 is a great game IMHO!!!

Yeah rules of engagement if you want to get full points but for the Disco level you just got to go in shooting.

Gun Toting Radical Passivists
    http://www.cogink.com/cleese/

Oh man that was a giggle, good show

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

sprinkles wrote:
    or hold off for the new Rainbow six.
    The PC version seems to have been pushed back till sometime in 2006, it looks like it's going to go the way of Ghost Recon 2 (PC): "It's nearly ready", "Almost Done", "Any month now", "Oh wait, we've actually cancelled that..... but Ghost Recon 3 will be even better, and it'll be out soon ...." etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

juno75 wrote:
    Gun Toting Radical Passivists
    http://www.cogink.com/cleese/

Oh man that was a giggle, good show

Thats damn funny and with the exception of the US being under British control is something that the Americans should take a serious look at.
    The "chips" thing is really annoying as many friends of mine have asked for a plate of chips with their burger and were given a plate of crisps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

your right bout lego star wars u will have it done in around 4 hours it is good fun though but i would say swat 4 its great game although rules of engagement do get frustrating at times if a room is entered and cleared properly u should have no problems also the multiplayer is enjoyable too

Looks like SWAT 4 is in the lead!

So no one play first to fight yet?

I should check if its out actually, soz if it aint

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Go for silent hunter 3, its far more fun than it should be. You go out, you kill ships, and you try to survive, and thats it for the duration of the war. It hasnt got repetitive yet for me because almost every kill is tense in its own way.

Only last night I stalked a C3 Cargo ship into the bay of firth of forth (didnt want to let up on the kill), sliding past two british patrol boats, getting a shock when another nearly snuck up on me before i managed to dive without getting spotted (I really dont know what my watchmen were up to, it was only I went to the coning tower that I saw them barely 2km off), and then I managed to intercept the cargo ship as I was surrounded by British destroyers and patrol boats - bout 10 km out from me. Torpedoed the ship and surfaced as fast as possible, finished the ship off with the deck gun then dived and ran as fast as I could away before the british ships could catch me.

Its a great game, Id reccomend it without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Of my recent purchases I recommend:
    Silent Hunter 3
    Splinter Cell chaos theory- good game but certainly not the 9.godknowswhat IGN gave it, and I usually agree with them.
    Star Wars Republic Commando- Much more fun than the reviews suggest, plus it gets you in the mood for the new movie.

Thinking of buying Rome Total War once my exams are over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SH3: (amended copy and past from another site I posted in so it's longish)

Graphics: superb.

Audio: Amazing, I mean really amazing specially if u have 5.1 sound.

Gameplay: Good initially. The idea is the game runs in real time and u set out from port (u can speed time up to *1024). U are basically given a grid sector to patrol and shoot anything along the way and while yur there although you can go wherever the hell you want really.

Initially this is great but given the randomness of it and the fact that that's all there is (no go there and shoot that type mission) the game feels shallow in oooooh about a day with boredom settling in about another half a day later. There are also other annoying things like having to manage yur crew which just involves putting tired men to bed and keeping okay guys on duty, departments suffer depending on how the crew is (ie a torpedo takes longer to load if there are less men or tired men in the reload bay).

To cut a long review short (cos there is lots of little things to mention) The game looks and sounds brill, it's also a great subject (das boot anyone?) but it's shallow and really suffers from a lack of a directed mission structure (where the fun blowing up yur 1 millionth identical cargo vessel when it makes no difference) and ultimately Germany lost the war so nothing you do has an outcome on the game.

Good initially but gets boring faster than it takes to sink your 10th ship.

Avoid. (unless your a real sub sim fan, personally I played it for 3 days)

SWAT4, probably the best choice (I don't know first to fight) but also gets VERY repetitive and becomes a little nuts towards the end when your enemies are heavily armoured ****ers who dont wait around for you to ask them to get on their knees (no jokes ppl)

It's a good game, probably worth your money but don't expect any real longevity as it's basically the same thing over and over again with baddies in different coloured body armour.

Personally I'd advise you to get a demo of Chronicles of Riddick and see what you think if you havent played it. I go the demo of it the other day and I reckon I'll buy the game on the strength of it. Great atmosphere and great graphics/sounds and good game play with pretty good unarmed combat as well for a FPS. Give it a whirl. Apart from that I can't think of a single recent PC game worth bothering about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Well heres my opinion, i have got the three games, although i haven't played first to fight all that much

Swat 4: I personally don't know what drives reviewers to give this game such a high score, its got shoddy graphics (by todays standards), bad sound (the gun sounds are terrible, or is that just me?) and the AI....well i've found them to just get in my way every time i want to shoot an enemy.

First to Fight: From what I've played of it, its an alright game, doesn't really provide anything new....then again, i have not played it that much, so i can't really say

Silent Hunter 3: Ahh the game that i was surprised with, the one that has kept me hooked since i bought it, i am not usually a submarine sim fan....but this is brilliant, its tense, graphics are excellent, sound is very good...i keep going back for more.

I guess though its down to taste, if you want a shooter or a sim...i just didn't find Swat 4 all that amazing at all...it might seem i am alone in thinking that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd keep away from Close Combat. It's just more annoying thatn anything else and you really don't get any satisfaction out of playing it.

Silent Hunter is a great game, but be prepared to put in the effort.

Chaos Theory is visually amazing and plays pretty well, but it isn't that much of a step up from the previous versions. Although, it's still a great game.

And if you haven't got it already, I recommend Black Hawk Down. It's one of the greatest multiplayer games ever! And it's now out in a double pack with it's add-on, Team Saber.

Lads Lads!! Ye got me all confused. SWAT and SH sound class. SH I think may have the edge.

Like I said I just finished Rome (amazing) so I may needa qucik brainless fix of FPS before I fight for the Riech

Black Hawk Down is in shop for E20. May get that and SH - Compromise.

Reading Amazon reviews for First to fight -sounds muck. A pity.
    Another case of big hype=Bad game

Every fekking game webby is blocked in here!
    Suppose it makes me work though..

Advertisement