Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Building

• 11-05-2005 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Im talking O'Connell Bridge House, Is it actually used for anything other than D2 on the bottom floor. The side entrance to it in NEVER open and i pass it every day. I know it got revamped a few years back but thats it. The "Heineken" sign on the front of it at one point earned more the the rent on the place, THATS CRAZY! Anyone know if its rented out to anyone? I think it would be a good place for like FM104 or SPIN, Slap bang in the city centre plus direct LOS to Tree Rock and Rock Solid broadcasting sites lol

Pic of the building:
    http://www.carolineconnolly.com/fjp/city/a002/heinekan-building-3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

FM 104 used to be just across the road, so I don't see them moving back into that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's Q Bar actually. And the side door is open at night for smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I love that Heineken Sign. I hope they dont get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Blisterman wrote:
    I love that Heineken Sign. I hope they dont get rid of it.

I hate it. It reminds me of Heineken.

Didn't it used to be a Guinness sign? They should put up a Bulmers sign. I'm not inspired to think of Bulmers nearly enough times each day!

If the upper section of the building is not in use, it's probably only a matter of time untill it's turned into apartments..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Was it a Tennant's sign at one point?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It was definately guinness at one point - preferred it as guinness too - more irishy sense about the middle of the capital city.

Bulmers would be cool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Actually thats strange, because I dont like heineken either, I still like the sign.

Do they sell Tennants In Ireland?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pretty sure it was a harp sign as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

naw it was called the "Harp Bar" before it was Q many moons ago
    and there did used to be a big guinness sign on it alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Just slightly off the point of this thread.... lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

First it was Sony, then Guinness, then Heineken - possibly with another in the middle but unlikely.
    The Sony sign almost generated the same as the rent of the building but not quite.

It is still a very contentious building today - most people hate it, while some love it, but more for its status as a remenant of 60s disaster planning though than its design.
    It was built between 1963-65, while Liberty Hall was going up at the same time in 1960-65. Hawkins House had also just been completed in around 1960-62 so it was a period of major change for this area - for the worse.

It is still vacant - don't know if a tenant is about to move in though, possibly.
    The big problem is that it has absolutely no car parking (one of the major issues that caused outrage when built that the Corpo flouted their own laws on required parking) which puts off even the most environmentally conscious of occupiers; so much easier, cheaper and nicer to rent out a sprawling pile off the M50.

It replaced a key 18th Century building built by the Wide Streets Commission, a grievous loss to the city centre that cannot be underestimated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Granted it is the Joint ugliest building in Ireland along with the Bus Èirean HQ, but how could a building in that location have any troulbe what so ever being rented out???

Surely the space could be used as a shopping mall or some sort of retail premises with a proper revamp (maybe that's what they should have done when revamping the building in the first place? :confused:) e.g. Another Stephens Green/Jervis center type thing?

I find it hard to believe that one of the premiem retail locations in the country has an empty building of that size........only in Ireland.

Advertisement