Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions again?

• 11-05-2005 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anbody want to get racing trivia questions again,

I'l start:

Name 5 racecourses (UK & IRE) that have NOT got the any of the letters RACE in it.

Took me all morning (without cheating)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

nah couldnt be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sligo
    Ludlow
    Damn......
    Huntingdon
    Plumpton

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

I got one.......RACING DEMON...............DAMN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Goodwood !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I've one for ya:

Who won the 1839 Grand National, and who was the trainer?

• Advertisement

Crumbs wrote:
    Goodwood !!
    tits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Morgans

Mr Elmore's Lottery.

What have the horses Topsham Bay and Docklands Express have in common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tiedcottage

Thank God for Morgans, gotta be that DE and TB both won Whitbread Gold Cups on the disqualification of other horses. It's something to do with the Whitbread anyway.

Here's one, who's the last trainer to hold the reigning champions in the Champion Chase, Gold Cup and Grand National at any one time (forgive me if it's been used before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

chump wrote:
    I've one for ya:

Who won the 1839 Grand National, and who was the trainer?
    the horse was called lottery and erm mr. trainer mc train

fade2black wrote:
    Sligo
    Ludlow
    Damn......
    Huntingdon
    Plumpton

:D

and york

• Advertisement

Dont know the answer to TiedCottage's question.

Dickenson and Dreaper were the two that sprung to mind but only guessing really.

i doubt anyone does....

Okay, guys, answer time. The last trainer to traint he current winner of the Gold Cup, Champion Chase and Grand National at the same time was quite recently, in 1989 - DRC Elsworth. After the 89 Festival he won the Champion Chase with Barnbrook Again, the Gold Cup with Desert Orchid and still had the reigning Grand National winner from the previous year Rhyme N'Reason.

Who trained Rhyme N Reason to win the Irish Grand National in 1985? (i think)

DRC Elsworth i presume

You'd presume wrong. Its a trivia test not a reading one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

PS I don't think your allowd use google, that's just cheating

Who came 3rd in the 1905 Grand National?

Morgans, horse was carrying 11st! bred by Mrs. Judy Maxwell at Ballee, Brendan Powell(now a trainer) was jockey and trained by ...

Manifesto I'd guess Chump.

goin'_to_the_PS - D Elsworth wasnt always the horse's trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

Name 5 racecourses (UK & IRE) that have NOT got the any of the letters RACE in it.

and york

Eh maybe you should read the question again

• Advertisement

Not sure who trained Rhyme N Reason back in 85 (you were right), Morgans, old boy, but something tells me David Murray Smith. Only I seem to recall he often had his horses running in nose bands, and RNR never did.

Here's another, RN Reason's National win is identical to that of another horse for two differen reasons. The other horse ran in the National four time consecutively, winning at his last attempt at the age of 12 and also won the Scottish National. Who was the horse and what two facts does he share with RNReason.

allin-king wrote:

Eh maybe you should read the question again
    :o sorry don't know where i got that from

chump wrote:
    PS I don't think your allowd use google, that's just cheating
    sorry i have to stop mis reading questions i thought his question read "who trained it to win the grand national in 1989" and since i was sure he hadn't won it twice i did some investigation, sorry again

sorry i have to stop mis reading questions i thought his question read "who trained it to win the grand national in 1989" and since i was sure he hadn't won it twice i did some investigation, sorry again

:D Back to bed with you I think.....

Tied Cottage is correct. David Murray Smith was the trained.

I take a stab at Little Polvier for the 12yo grand national winner. Did win the Scots National, and had multiple attempts at the race.

Red Rum won the GN as a 12yo (fifth run in the race) and had previously won the scots.

Morgans again right about the horse, the connection was two-fold that both he and RNR were previously trained elsewhere prior to their National wins (from D Murray Smith and J Edwards to D Elsworth and G Balding respectively), and that both had retired prior to the following National. Indeed, following Maori Venture in 1987, it made it three in a row.

One more, named seven horses who, since 1980, have won more than one of the canonical four nationals?

We've already had Little Polveir and Rhyme N Reason

Earth Summit
    Run For Free
    Bobbyjo
    Bindaree

for starters

are LP and RNR included in the seven.

Right again, Morgans, I came up with those six, plus Corbiere, who wont he Welsh then the English on 82-83, there may be others, but that's the seven I had.
    Of course someone could have cheated and said Androma, who won the Scottish National twice in 84 and 85 at the age of seven and eight, but whose career was sadly cut short.

Advertisement