Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An old passion Vs A new hope;- Torn between reds

• 11-05-2005 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Nothing frustrates me more than when someone tells me to calm down during a football game. I'm not violent, but I'm vocal, even when watching at home or in the pub. I was watching Liverpool V Chelsea in the pub with my brother, and started mouthing off at the ref or a players mistake, and my bro tells me to calm down. I stared at him and said after a while; "No wonder you so passionless, supporting Everton. You're never in this situation."

I'm never a neutral watching football. It doesn't matter who's playing, I have to pick one team to shout for.

The first team I ever supported was Aston Villa, because Paul McGrath and Staunton played with them. McGrath retired and Staunton went to Liverpool, so I started supporting the pool. (I also have relatives in Liverpool). I was always fond of Milan, even while supporting Villa.

I finally started supporting Milan in 1998. (They finished 10th that year so i didn't jump on a bandwagon), but I've never been as passionate as when I supported Liverpool. I suppose calming with age is a factor. When Man Utd did to us in the FA cup, as they would do to Munich a year later, winning 2-1 with both goals in injury time, I was so hurt, I had to stop supporting Liverpool.

Now, we are faced with a Liverpool- Milan European Cup final. As it stands, of course i want Milan to win. But, deep down there is a doubt. Do I really?
    There's a passion with Liverpool never seen with any other club. New stars rising, like Luis Garcia, who is really striding forwards, IMO will improve furthermore. Morientes, give him time will show his class; too many are writing him off too soon. Carragher is excelling.
    Liverpool now have a good manager, whereas my opinion on Ancelotti is doubtful, a poor tactician.
    I think Milan are doing what Liverpool did, letting their history get ahead of them. Milan seem to be too casual. The get 1-0 ahead and shut up shop attitude is out of place in the modern game. Liverpool, on the other hand are just putting their heads down and grinding out the results.

This final, I can't possibly be dissapointed, whatever the scoreline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Will be shouting for the mighty pool all the way from the states so i hope we can do it.Milan will be very hard to play against but their recent form is very patchy, cant say much for ourselves but anyways. Liverpool can be a bit dire at times but were getting there and in benitez we have a super coach who has already won things like 2 spanisdh leagues and a EUFA cup in 2 seasons.
    Fair play to everton by the way for getting 4th. Moyes did well for ya and the extra money should come in handy when getting new players in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rossonero wrote:
    "No wonder you so passionless, supporting Everton. You're never in this situation."

Controversial. I'm extremely passionate and my team have never even been near that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rossonero wrote:
    Nothing frustrates me more than when someone tells me to calm down during a football game. I'm not violent, but I'm vocal, even when watching at home or in the pub. I was watching Liverpool V Chelsea in the pub with my brother, and started mouthing off at the ref or a players mistake, and my bro tells me to calm down. I stared at him and said after a while; "No wonder you so passionless, supporting Everton. You're never in this situation."

I'm never a neutral watching football. It doesn't matter who's playing, I have to pick one team to shout for.

The first team I ever supported was Aston Villa, because Paul McGrath and Staunton played with them. McGrath retired and Staunton went to Liverpool, so I started supporting the pool. (I also have relatives in Liverpool). I was always fond of Milan, even while supporting Villa.

I finally started supporting Milan in 1998. (They finished 10th that year so i didn't jump on a bandwagon), but I've never been as passionate as when I supported Liverpool. I suppose calming with age is a factor. When Man Utd did to us in the FA cup, as they would do to Munich a year later, winning 2-1 with both goals in injury time, I was so hurt, I had to stop supporting Liverpool.

Now, we are faced with a Liverpool- Milan European Cup final. As it stands, of course i want Milan to win. But, deep down there is a doubt. Do I really?
    There's a passion with Liverpool never seen with any other club. New stars rising, like Luis Garcia, who is really striding forwards, IMO will improve furthermore. Morientes, give him time will show his class; too many are writing him off too soon. Carragher is excelling.
    Liverpool now have a good manager, whereas my opinion on Ancelotti is doubtful, a poor tactician.
    I think Milan are doing what Liverpool did, letting their history get ahead of them. Milan seem to be too casual. The get 1-0 ahead and shut up shop attitude is out of place in the modern game. Liverpool, on the other hand are just putting their heads down and grinding out the results.

This final, I can't possibly be dissapointed, whatever the scoreline.

Dude, how can you change teams that you support. It is reasonable to support a number of clubs across different league but you don't move on from a club..

I cannot ever imagine not totally supporting Liverpool. I used to love Milan when Van Basten and the likes played for them when I was a kid but I sorta grew to dislike Italian football as I grew older..

I think you will be devastated if Liverpool loose that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Dude, how can you change teams that you support. It is reasonable to support a number of clubs across different league but you don't move on from a club..

thats what struck me about the original post too, i cant see how people can change teams they support. i could never in a million years support someone else than liverpool. i just couldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Dude, how can you change teams that you support.

I always liked Milan. The reason I didn't from the beginning was because everyone else was supporting English teams. When I supported Liverpool, I had reasons, Irish players, relatives in Liverpool. Whereas there was no connection to Milan apart that I just liked the club, a natural bonding you might say. Then I saw them play against Bologna at the San-Siro, which solidified my support. I never saw Liverpool play in real life.

I'm kinda missing out on the banter of slagging contests with opposing fans, though. I wind up my bro about Liverpool, but really, I'm just slagging for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rossonero wrote:
    there was no connection to Milan apart that I just liked the club, a natural bonding you might say.

Hmmm, natural bonding eh? Interesting.

I support Southampton because when I was 4 or 5 and playing in the local mini-league competition I was on the team called Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

How can you keep jumping from team to team!!??

Adulterer!

Advertisement