Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn extension

Options
  • 11-05-2005 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

if i want to setup a second pc for isdn 64k internet in a room 20meters from ther isdn wall box what's the best way to set it up .do i use a router or can i run an extension from one of the isdn sockets(how? and what cable?),and can i extend the second analogue number from the box(how?) thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could run a second cable from the box to another ISDN card in the other PC. Cable should be twisted pair for that distance. Then either pc would be able to connect directly to the internet at 64Kb , but if both connect you are paying for two phone calls.

Routers for ISDN might be a better idea - but you have to be bloody careful because the slighest mis configuring and they will auto dial, if you put in the wrong password or your ISP account is disabled then it could redial every 30 seconds any you've to pay for every call.

You could setup a proxy server on the first PC and then a network cable to link them - the first PC would have to connect to the internet first - but less chance of auto dialling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

does the isdn use a single pair or two pairs for the extension thanks

Advertisement