Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Day Relegation Battle (May contain scores, hopefully Southampton ones)

• 11-05-2005 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

4 days and counting, and my heart is starting to pound... Here's bbc's take on the situation:
    There has never been a Premiership relegation scrap like it.

For the first time in Premiership history, the final day will not dawn with at least one team definitely relegated.

Instead, any three of the four contenders could be relegated - or any one of the quartet stay up.

Only Norwich have the dubious luxury of going into the climax with their fate in their own hands.

NORWICH

After a potentially shattering last-gasp defeat at Southampton the previous week, Norwich began last weekend at the bottom of the table.

Report: Norwich 1-0 Birmingham
    They now effectively control the destiny of the other three teams, thanks in no small part to Birmingham's Damien Johnson.

His dismissal changed the course of the game at Carrow Road where Norwich made their extra-man advantage count.

Last game: Fulham (a).

Form guide
    : It depends entirely on which Fulham team turn up, but Norwich could not pick a better time to pluck out their first away win of the season.

What they have: The worst goal difference of the four.

What they need: A win ends the argument - sealing their survival and relegating the other three. A draw would be enough if West Brom, Saints and Palace all fail to win. A defeat would be enough only if all the other three below them lose.

SOUTHAMPTON
    Began last Saturday outside the bottom three, but were heading towards a fatal defeat until Danny Higginbotham's dramatic injury-time equaliser.

Report: Palace 2-2 Saints
    Last game: Manchester United (h)

Form guide: Second place and automatic Champions League may be beyond Manchester United and they will have one eye on the FA Cup final. But is there any such thing as a weak Man United team? Recent United results against Norwich and West Brom may give Saints hope.

What they have
    : The slimmest of better goal differences of the bottom four.

What they need: A win would relegate West Brom, but would be immaterial if Norwich win. If Norwich fail to win and Crystal Palace win, Southampton would need to win by the same margin as Palace win at Charlton.
    If Norwich fail to win, and Palace win, a Saints victory by one goal less than Palace's margin of victory would keep them up on the next criteria, goals scored. A draw would be enough if Norwich lose and Crystal Palace lose or draw and West Brom lose or draw.

CRYSTAL PALACE
    Palace were seconds away from a win which would have kept their fate in their own hands until Danny Higginbotham scored a timely first goal for Southampton.

Report: Palace 2-2 Saints
    Last game: Charlton (a)

Form guide: Charlton are mentally on their holidays, but would not be in the mood to give their neighbours and former landlords any favours.

What they have
    : The second best goal difference - by one goal - behind Southampton.

What they need
    : A win would relegate West Brom but be rendered irrelevant if Norwich win. If Southampton and Norwich fail to win, victory would keep Palace up.
    If Norwich fail to win but Southampton win, Palace would have to better their margin of victory by two goals. A draw would only be enough if both Southampton and Norwich lose and West Brom fail to win.

WEST BROM
    Albion would just about have been relegated had they not been awarded a rare visitors' penalty at Old Trafford to claim a point that at least keeps their heart beating.

Report: Man Utd 1-1 West Brom
    Last game: Portsmouth (h)

Form guide: Pompey are safe and have got the brochures out. Are they really going to try that hard to get a result that could help their neighbours survive?

What they have: A goal difference considerably worse than Saints or Palace, but possibly significantly better than Norwich's.

What they need: A win would be enough if none of the other three teams win. Draw or lose and the Baggies are down.

17 Norwich
    37 7 5 7 29 32 0 7 11 13 39 -29 33
    18 Southampton ---37 5 9 4 29 28 1 5 13 15 36 -20 32
    19 Crystal Palace --37 6 5 8 21 19 1 6 11 18 41 -21 32
    20 West Brom
    37 4 8 6 15 24 1 8 10 19 37 -27 31

I can see any of the clubs, with the exception of West Brom, getting out of it. My money would have to be on Norwich, even though they have yet to win away, their fate is in their own hands and I believe the players will do a good job for them. I expect Palace to also beat Charlton, but inevitably it won't mean much. Southampton have the toughest task, but I can't make up my mind on whether United will want to play well having lost to Chelsea or whether they will play an under-strength team with the cup-final in mind. West Brom and Pompey will be close, probably a draw.

My Predictions:

Fulham 1-2 Norwich
    Southampton 0-2 Man Utd
    Charlton 0-2 Crystal Palace
    West Brom 1-1 Portsmouth

PS - I'll enjoy it either way, it'll either be a miracle escape or our last day in the Premiership (possibly for a long time).

May the best team survive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This will undoubtedly be a set of matches worth watching. I personally have faith in Norwich, they have yet to win away, but they've showed a lot of fight lately, and I hope that it pays off for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im rooting for Norwich anyways. They have dragged themselves back from the dead, much like WBA. They have actually tried to play football this season, and IMO deserve it most.

It should be a fascinating days action though. Sky must ne loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Im rooting for Norwich to pull this off, cant see Southampton staying in the Premier League for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I always thought Norwich would stay up due to their easy run at the end and I ain't gona change now.
    Come on the canaries!
    p.s. I think Southampton will beat United and somehow manage to escape as they always do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Are they all on Saturday? Same time?

Is RTE2 showing a game? Let me guess, Man U - Southampton?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All games are on sunday. I doubt RTE will have one, as SKY will be wanting exclusivity.

They are showing Fulham Vs Norwich on SS1, and Man U Vs Southampton on SS Xtra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, RTE won't have one, thats why the league ends on sunday, so sky have the rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, RTE won't have one, thats why the league ends on sunday, so sky have the rights.

RTE are showing WBA vs Portsmouth live, can't see that pulling many viewers!

"John Giles, Ray Houghton and Jim Beglin
    join Bill O Herlihy for exclusive live
    coverage of West Bromwich Albion v
    Portsmouth on the last day of the
    Premiership season. Commentary comes
    from George Hamilton and Trevor Steven.

Barclays Premiership live, Sunday 15th
    May @ 2.45pm on RTE One.

Later in the day, Giles, Houghton and
    Beglin are back with all the day's
    highlights. Southampton v Manchester
    United and Liverpool v Aston Villa are
    featured.

Premiership highlights are at 10.35pm
    on RTE Two, repeated @ 2.20am. "

THIS GOT ME IN THE MOOD ! Needs a decent connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MrJoeSoap wrote:

THIS GOT ME IN THE MOOD ! Needs a decent connection

Good link, got me all up for it too, go on the saints! Anything to knock Utd down another peg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sky are only allowed show 2 as anymore and they go above the 88 games per season they paid for.

They are in process of asking to show live goals as they happen.

I looking forward to this for one reason instead of getting to see 1 teams fans crying we get to see 3 :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I would love Norwich to stay up with Ashton scoring a hatrick the last goal of which would be the winning goal coming in the 96th minute or anything that isn't an anti climax that sees Norwich stay up is fine :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaC wrote:
    I looking forward to this for one reason instead of getting to see 1 teams fans crying we get to see 3.

Bit cruel, but I'll feel the same when Pats go down at the end of the season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh come on, everyone loves that. Man Utd Fulham Ports and Charlton fans gonna have a ball if they get to relegate someone. They have nothing to play for. Its always fun watching grown men cry.

Pats wont go down or even near it, we will lose 4 games at home, winning and drawing the rest ensuring mid table crapness. May get to relegate someone tho and thats always fun :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

West Brom are 5/1 with Ladbrokes to stay up. Personally I think this is massive value.

Norwich: no away win all season + huge pressure vs Fulham, decent at home and who played very well last week vs Blackburn. Coleman won't let them roll over. Verdict: Draw

Southampton: Crouch is a massive loss, they are going to have play completly different to the way they have been playing the last 6 months. Utd, even a dodgy team will be good enough to get a draw. Players playing to try get into the cup might just give them the incentive. Verdict: Man Utd win

Palace: Charlton on a horrible run however could give one last big effort infront of the home fans. Palace could very well win however I have a feeling they rue letting in that last minute goal vs Southampton. Palace feeling the presure. Verdict: Draw

West Brom: No team has ever been bottom at Christmas and stayed up.....until now. The force is with Albion. Penalty at Old Trafford, results going for them in other games, it just seems all set up for them. The easiest game of the lot, Portsmouth fans will be cheering them on too. Verdict: West Brom Win

As Palace could possibly get a win vs Charlton will be putting a hedge bet on with them at 3/1 with Boylesports.

Advertisement