Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows PDA's - best programming tools ?

Options
  • 11-05-2005 6:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I guess the microsoft one is the first port of call, but what other tools are there out there to write apps for PDA's or recompile GNU apps from sourceforge ?

The enivronment would be Windows CE / Pocket PC MINIRANT why do they confuse versions CE vs. 2002 etc. /MINIRANT

Are there any decent reference sites out there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

I used IBM's J9 JVM with J2ME.

TBH I wouldn't recommend it, far too limited for my liking.

IMO stick to Microsoft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aspnet

I would use the .NET compact framework and Visual Studio .NET

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Visual Studio .Net is definitly a very easy way to go about it (especially if you've already done some .Net). It gives you a choice of languages (C#, VB.Net etc), excellent UI designer and all kinds of wizards for data and other tasks. It also has a built in emulator or can automatically transfer you program to your PDA if it's connected, and I think can run it in debug mode. Basically click the run button, pick between the internal emulator and your pda and it runs, simple as that. I think VS.Net 2005 beta 2 is still available free on microsofts site somewhere.

Some sites that may be usefull:
    PocketPC Developers Network
    MSDN .NET Compact Framework

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When I ported BusSched from Windows (written C++/MFC) to Pocket PC I downloaded a compiler from Microsoft along with the Pocket PC SDK. Similar for TrainSched - Windows first, then port to Pocket PC.

I can check the version when I get home.
    I used the Pocket PC Emulator for testing as I only own a Palm PDA.
    I had to change a few things for where Windows and Pocket PC APIs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use:
    * Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++
    * Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SDK

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/

• Advertisement
Advertisement