Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goods to export from Ireland

Options
  • 11-05-2005 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi there

A friend from Argentina was asking me recently about products from Ireland that he could import. I finding it hard to think of anything at present.... i do not know much about manufacturing I can´t think of many things we make that would interest him.
    My list so far: High quality whiskey, some artisan food products such as smoked fish, crystal and glass products distinctive to Ireland.
    Then again, many of these would be prohibitively expensive for him.

Can anyone help me think of other products that Ireland is good at producing that the rest of the world might want to buy?
    Thanks to anyone who replies

Michel :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Argentina have a large polo league, so how about horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

What about bubble gum

I know Zed Candy export to many countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MichelRichmont

Very interesting comments, thanks guys

Re things to Import to Ireland I was thinking furniture, leather goods, wine.....what other things do we need/like in Ireland that can´t be produced here?

Keeping on the horse theme you could import equesterian goods such as saddles, bridles, blankets etc. its all very expensive in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

fintan wrote:
    Keeping on the horse theme you could import equesterian goods such as saddles, bridles, blankets etc. its all very expensive in Ireland

because there are very few bought every year..................

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    because there are very few bought every year..................[/QUOTE

true one person would not buy many saddles, but bankets / rugs / bridles / stirrups / boots / jodpers and everything else, would be purchased regularly as they break or wear out easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MichelRichmont

Thanks guys, the suggestion re horse equipment could be very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Lidl and Aldi had a big sale of horse gear recently.

Basically, you have to think about one thing: China. It is very hard for somewhere like Argentina to compete with China.

There is great furniture in Argentina. A friend of mine took over a few container-loads of it after the currency crashed (it had always been far too expensive previously). I don't know if the value is still there. The margin has to be pretty substantial to make it worthwhile.

Advertisement