Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Central Heating - Materials Only

• 11-05-2005 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all

Any knowledgeable souls out there who could give me a ballpark figure for the cost of the MATERIALS-ONLY for a new Oil-Fired Central Heating System?

Approx 10 rads
    Pipes and Fittings
    Water Tank
    Cylinder
    Pumps
    Boiler
    Oil Tank
    etc

Heres hoping that someone who has dealt with this sort of thing recently is reading this....

Many Ta Tas

TJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

I know a lad in a plumber suppliers so he gave me good rates on the following:

Hot water cylinder, 42" x 18", indirect immersion, insulated - €230
    50 gallon PVC cold water tank - €80
    ST55 1.5 bar shower pump (plumbers' preference) - €240
    100 metre 1/2inch qualplex piping - €128
    thermostatic radiator valves - €15 for one set (for one rad)

each elbow,nuckle fitting should be a couple of euro

Ballpark for a condensing boiler is about €1100 and I think rads are about €200 each but I didnt need to get either of these so cant confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

"The Lad" obviously doesn't know too much about plumbing, the minimum storage should be 60 gallons, in fact most will install two tanks married together to achieve 100 gallons.

Do the arithmatic, 2 x 60 = 100 gallons of storage.

1 x 50 =

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

To many variables Rubens.

The total output of the rads and the cylinder determines the size of the boiler.

How many bathrooms, ensuites etc? this will determine the size of the cylinder.

Is the house to use a pressurised system this will determine the type of cylinder.

A ball park figure could be € 2500 equally it could be € 5000 dependant on the type of system you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jayc

Check out heatmerchants.ie to give you an indication of the prices of materials, however you will need to know what you are looking for as otherwise you could spend hours on the site

This link to a British site has a calculator to help work out the required boiler size for your house
    http://www.est.org.uk/bestpractice/tools/

As flocker said there are too many variables involved for soembody to accurately quote you other figures here.
    You'll need to know the btu's required for the rooms to know rad sizes etc. Also how many zones are you planning on having......there are loads of questions to be answered.

You'll really need to speak to a plumber for accurate costing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Thanks for the usual mix of helpful and erm.. other information.

Fortunately I do know what I'm looking for and heatmerchants.ie was most helpful for an idea of prices.

The one thing that confuses me is that my requirements come in at approx 5k for Materials only yet I quote somebody on this board saying that a new central heating system for a 3-bed semi (very similar in size to what I'm doing) would be 4-5k INSTALLED???

Help please (from non-patronizing and genuine non-self-obsessed users only )

T Ta

RJ :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Rubens wrote:

Help please (from non-patronizing and genuine non-self-obsessed users only )

T Ta

RJ :cool:

Naughty, naughty, :D:D

kadman :)

kadman wrote:
    Naughty, naughty

Well Kadman I'm sure you understand the type of reply I speak of!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Rubens,

Rolls Royce or Mini ? that about covers the difference in quality in radiators alone, Rad sizes ?

Each radiator is designed for a specific output and each room has specific requirements, so do we price for €30.00 rad or €260.00 rad ? or how many of each and all in between.

Boilers cost again on quality, internal, external, boiler house, garage ? take your pick, next look at the radiators and room requirements anything from 60,000 to 140,000 BTU's

Oil tank size ? capacity ? type ?.

Pipework, Copper, Qualpex, Other ?

New house ? old house ? upgrading existing or clean new fit ?

Fittings, Conex, Yorkshire, Qualpex ?

Must agree with Kadman,

Hi Rubens,

Rooferpete' s famous quote, " How long is a piece of string " I think appies here Rubens.

I think you may have to supply a bit more specific information, if you are in a position to, Rubens. As correctly pointed out in previous posts, its impossible to guide you on cost , given the vague info, even the rad numbers alone. 10 rads, what size are they, single/double panel, output. :confused:

As Rooferpete correctly identifies ( again :) ) rads are sized on the basis of room size, u values of walls, floor insulation, wall insulation, living requirements, and other heat sources, room location ect. So you can see that the room for error on giving you a quote is enormous. :eek:

Definitely the guys here can give you excellent advise, as previous topics discussed can testify to. So give us a chance and , give us more info. :D

Will try to specify my requirements via the medium of research and then re-ask this trying question....

Incidently ... how long is a piece of string?
    metric answers on a postcard please.

• Advertisement

Rubens wrote:
    Will try to specify my requirements via the medium of research and then re-ask this trying question....

Incidently ... how long is a piece of string?
    metric answers on a postcard please.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there , Rubens. he.he. Now you're getting into it . Throw a few smilies in your next post, and then we will know you're a friendly.

Seriously though , did you search any of the previous topics posted here. I may be wrong but I seem to remember a similar question regarding costs, posted here recently.

kadman wrote:
    Do I detect a note of sarcasm there , Rubens. he.he. Now you're getting into it . Throw a few smilies in your next post, and then we will know you're a friendly.

I'M FRIENDLY ALREADY (nice americanism)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D;):p:):D;):p:):D;):p:)

(Really I am)

Hi Folks - its me - Im back with another question about central heating....

I have been studying the heating/water system in my 3-bed semi all day and have worked out the system as being an indirect system and I have accounted for all pipes and labelled same(yes I'm a fanatic)

There is one thing....This may sound strange but I cant find the central heating pump. Is it possible that it is built into my gas boiler ???

Just curious Rubens. Why are you tagging all your pipes, and trying to locate your pump, if you're ripping it out to replace it with a new oil fired system.

kadman :confused:

Sorry to confuse Kad... I am studying my system in the 3-bed semi(my residence) and I am renovating a second property(the oil central heating one)

Sorry for confusion he he he

Advertisement