Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal - Everton (scores)

• 11-05-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

5 nil to the Arsenal at the moment and it seems Everton are really justifying their 4th place finish..

Bring on Everton and CL next season. I cannot wait!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seems harsh since Arsenal beat liverpool well just 3 days earlier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I'm loving every minute of this!

Glad Bergkamp got his goal aswell :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

come on henry get on the score sheet, reyes too while your at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

7-0 Flamini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

season finished last week for everton to be honest....

Its been a long hard season and their mission has already been accomplished. I'm not going to read to much into this really...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

season finished last week for everton to be honest....

Its been a long hard season and their mission has already been accomplished. I'm not going to read to much into this really...

I bet! Get used to thrashings like this in the CL if you qualify...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what the hell happened to everton? :eek: Did they just not give a toss having secured 4th place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

That was hilarious. I cried tears of laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Jesus 7-0 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

What the hell? I just saw the result on BBC.co.uk and had to verify it elsewhere just to make sure they hadn't somehow screwed up. 7-0... even for a team that has let it go, that's pretty harsh. Arsenal are hardly playing to win the league either anymore - so you could argue 'lack of motivation' for either side really.

Not being a blind Liverpool fan here or anything but 7-0 is... well...let's face it, end of season or not, a monumental defeat.*

*3-1 is also a pretty bad defeat though ;) and they're both worth 0 points, so probably best that we Liverpool fans don't get on our high horses!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    I bet! Get used to thrashings like this in the CL if you qualify...

Mike.

I dont think so to be honest...

Well it'll be the start of the season again and they will be well rested and be in a better frame of mind again. New additions to the squad etc.

Their squad this season has been stretched and everyone has worked really hard and it showed tonight. As long as we get to the CL, get some money in, get the experience and improve as a club that'll suit me down to the ground.

Part of learning and gaining experience is to play the big teams at the highest level and well they are going to meet europe's best in the CL and they will be beaten by these teams... but who cares. We'll be there on merit and deserve our chance to grow as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Didn't see any of the game, and the season may be over now for Everton, however 7-0 is nothing other than an embarrassment.

Everton are proberly the first team to qualify for CL with a zero goal difference.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fourth in the league with a goal difference of 0. Oh dear. Whatever you say about end of season yadda yadda, a horrendous thrashing like this is a bad sign - Everton better pray they don't make the CL group stages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'm beginning to wonder could Everton end up like Ipswich after they qualified for the UEFA cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

we'll actually finish with a minus goal difference if we lose at bolton,
    i believe this is everton's biggest defeat in their 127 year history

not good, not good :(

as for the CL next season, i wouldn't look into this result at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

NoelRock wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder could Everton end up like Ipswich after they qualified for the UEFA cup?

don't think so

everton have a lot more money available than Ipswich would have,
    another 10 million due from the Rooney transfer and they only spent 6 of the initial 10 received last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Oh dear 7-0 saw two goals myself. Everton probably won't even qualify for the CL.
    You're watching the champions-elect of nxt season:D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jasus, there are some bitter liverpool supporters around. Everton qualified for the CL over the season. There place was guarnteed on Sunday when Arsenal played liverpool off the park, and beat them 3-1. This was a meaningless game for Everton tonight. Ok the took a beating, but I dont think it will bother them to much.

Where as, I being a Man U fan am pretty worried with this result and the FA Cup final only 10 days away and especially with our preformance against the Champions last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Leonard wrote:
    . There place was guarnteed on Sunday when Arsenal played liverpool off the park.

you didnt even watch the match did you?

• Advertisement

Its amazing to know that Berkamp is'nt guarenteed a deal.

Mike.

also, whats the deal with everton being seeded in the CL? if there not, good chance of facing a very tough tie. hopefully they will make it through. The more teams challenging the better.

you didnt even watch the match did you?

Read through the thread about the match and you will see if I watched the game. Liverpool had a spell at the beginning of the second half where they played ok and Gerrard got them back into the game, but what did they do besides that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=253867

Leonard wrote:
    Read through the thread about the match and you will see if I watched the game. Liverpool had a spell at the beginning of the second half where they played ok and Gerrard got them back into the game, but what did they do besides that.

they dominated in the second half, clinically there where brutal, but possession and territory(sp) they where better then arsenal in the second half. We didnt deserve to win, but we werent played off the park.

well only in the first half we were! :o

well only in the first half we were! :o

So thats a retraction so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I had no doubt that Everton were going to take a thrashing from Arsenal tonight. But Im not stupid enough to read anything into this.

Evertons season finished on Sunday. No doubt the second the final whistle went in the Liverpool game, that cork was popped. Given the nature of many Evertons players and their manager, I have no doubt they were on the lash. A lot of them are old schoolers: Stubbs, Weir, Martyn, Carsley, Ferguson, Watson, and Moyes, their type of celebrations would be very different to the more continental sides like Chelsea and Arsenal.

Arsenal on the other hand are in their best form since last year, and are still very much focused with the cup next week. A lot of players are playing for places in that first XI.

This result means nothing, and while of course it is embarassing to be beaten by such a margin, if anything will make potential CL opponents complacent that Everton are a pack of jokers, which they aren't.

Thank god I took my Everton defenders out of my fantasy football team though. I actually backed Arsenal to win 4-0, I would have done 7-0 but it wasnt on the sheet :p . I was sure it was going to be one way traffic.

This
    Leonard wrote:
    Jasus, there are some bitter liverpool supporters around.

followed by this
    Leonard wrote:
    on Sunday when Arsenal played liverpool off the park, and beat them 3-1.

only paints you as a bitter Man U fan. Arsenal were far superior in the first half, but the second half Liverpool more than struck back at them. The last goal was a slick move but Liverpool were chasing the game at that stage and was always a danger.

As regards Arsenals form going into the FA Cup final, if I were a United fan obviously Id be worried. But the fact that Arsenal are in such great form and United are not playing too well just sets it up for the inevitable.......United upset. If United were playing ok Id definatley be going with Arsenal, but as it stands there is no way Id write United off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Leonard wrote:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=253867
    Too true. Arsenal hammered the pool and destroyed eveton. Things looking good for Arsenal but can't say the same about Utd.

Moyes spoke very briefly after the game and said "embarrassed"

Mike.

How does this make me a bitter Man U fan. I am only stating the obvious here. Many of Liverpool's supporters cant accept that Everton beat them to the fourth position, mainly due to the fact that they are their bitter rivals. Liverpool have no one, but themselves to blame for not claiming fourth place. 11 away defeats in one season is nearly relagation form.

As regards my statements about Liverpool been played off the park on Sunday, you have to admit that they were thought a lesson during the first half.

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    How does this make me a bitter Man U fan. I am only stating the obvious here. Many of Liverpool's supporters cant accept that Everton beat them to the fourth position, mainly due to the fact that they are their bitter rivals. Liverpool have no one, but themselves to blame for not claiming fourth place. 11 away defeats in one season is nearly relagation form.
    Almost every Liverpool fan has paid their dues to Everton. And rightly so. And to be honest the bitterness you speak of doesnt really exist amongst Irish Liverpool fans because, we dont live there so aside from derby days, Everton are just another team, who are rarely fighting against Liverpool for league position. Id consider Newcastle a bigger rival (obviously not this year though) because Liverpool are usually battling with them for position.
    Leonard wrote:
    As regards my statements about Liverpool been played off the park on Sunday, you have to admit that they were thought a lesson during the first half.
    Of course,
    Very selfish by Rise there, Liverpool should really be ahead now
    but according to you, just not for the first 20 minutes.

And originally "they were taught a lesson" on Sunday. Now we have narrowed it down to a 25 minute spell of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In fairness, Arsenal had nothing to play after the weekend either. You would have thought Everton would have been trying a little harder once they realised the score was heading towards 7 nil.

Tis a shambles to be honest I would be disgusted if it happened to my club. I was horified by Liverpools first half display on Sunday but the second half partially allayed my fears.

To compare a 7 nill drubbing with a 3 - 1 loss were the loosing team had just as many attempts on goal is ****ing hilarious to be honest.

In fairness, Arsenal had nothing to play after the weekend either.
    Of course they do... there were 11 guys on the pitch tonight playing for a starting place for the cup final...
    You would have thought Everton would have been trying a little harder once they realised the score was heading towards 7 nil.
    Yeah because busting your @ss to recover 7 goals in a game that doesn't matter is really important...
    Tis a shambles to be honest I would be disgusted if it happened to my club.
    Well it didn't happen to your club so there's no point trying to make an issue out of a game that didn't really matter to anyone.... Its a bit embarassing actually that a liverpool fan is trying to make something out of this.. :D
    To compare a 7 nill drubbing with a 3 - 1 loss were the loosing team had just as many attempts on goal is ****ing hilarious to be honest.
    Different scenarios... Liverpool had to win. Everton didn't.
    Good luck in the UEFA Cup next season. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Of course they do... there were 11 guys on the pitch tonight playing for a starting place for the cup final...

Yeah because busting your @ss to recover 7 goals in a game that doesn't matter is really important...

Well it didn't happen to your club so there's no point trying to make an issue out of a game that didn't really matter to anyone.... Its a bit embarassing actually that a liverpool fan is trying to make something out of this.. :D

Different scenarios... Liverpool had to win. Everton didn't.
    Good luck in the UEFA Cup next season. ;)

Plenty of "witty" comebacks there, am nearly speechless. I don't which is actually funnier, the quality of your posts, your attempts at humour, taunts or how you trivialise the worst defeat in the history of your club..

I remember you coming up with a similar excuse last season after ye just about escaped relegation when Man City bet the team below ye. What was it, something like 4 defeats in a row with the team below ye only needing 1 point on the last day of the season?

"The team had nothing to play for" is a running joke with Everton it seems.

Will see ye in the UEFA cup next season too ;)

Everton were probably on the beer since sunday as the result secured 4th place. players like kilbane who normally give their all didnt even get a touch on the ball tonight. arsenal are trying to go into the cup final in the right frame of mind on the other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

**** my ass and call me Charlie, that was a scary prospect.
    I think we can all guess who the bookies favorite will be for the final after this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

OMG will everyone get over it! so much bitterness from Liverpool and Man u fans FACE IT: Chelsea have won the league, Liverpool are in the final of the CL, Everton have got forth, Man U and Arenal are in the Fa cup final

although i did like the smugness being wipped of moyes face after the game i for one hope that everton do well in the CL (and yes that comes from a Liverpool fan)

as for liverpool being played off the park??????? in the first half yes in the second half hell no i think 3-1 was harsh 2-1 would probably have been a fair result, relation to the everton game 7-0 may have been harsh but 5-0 wouldnt (but then again the everton game counted for jack but wouldn't be the best confidence boost in the world)

As for leonards comment of liverpool being thought a lesson is that just like Chelsea though Man U one?

but according to you, just not for the first 20 minutes.

And originally "they were taught a lesson" on Sunday. Now we have narrowed it down to a 25 minute spell of the game.

Yes if he had completed that pass, chances were Liverpool, would have taken the lead. A part of the game which probably only lasted a minute or two.

Take it wrote:

As for leonards comment of liverpool being thought a lesson is that just like Chelsea though Man U one?

Your exactly right, Chelsea brushed Man U aside no arguments there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

also, whats the deal with everton being seeded in the CL? if there not, good chance of facing a very tough tie. hopefully they will make it through. The more teams challenging the better.
    The won't be seeded.

I doubt they'll qualify when you look at the seeded teams in last years CL 3rd round:

Real Madrid
    Manchester United
    Deportivo La Coruña
    Liverpool
    Juventus
    Internazionale
    PSV Eindhoven
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Sparta Prague
    AS Monaco
    Anderlecht
    Club Brugge
    Glasgow Rangers
    Rosenborg BK
    PAOK Thessaloniki
    Dinamo Kiev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

poor everton.

the 4th place achieved this year will be remembered for the first game v Arsenal and the penultimate game v Arsenal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus I expected Arsenal to win just not like that. The Everton lads must be ashamed of that performance. Good confidence booster for the Cup Final.

I actually expect Everton to get to the group stages in the CL and I hope they do well (would love Arsenal to meet them in it next season based on last nights game as well :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Bloody hell I enjoyed that....Bring on the mancs!!*

*Although the inevitable will happen, United will turn it into a scrap, bring us down to their level and get the win :/

Leonard wrote:
    Yes if he had completed that pass, chances were Liverpool, would have taken the lead. A part of the game which probably only lasted a minute or two.
    Yes but your use of the word, "by now" indicates that Arsenal didnt have any similar hypothetical goal scoring chances. When it comes down to it Liverpool were not "taught a lesson" on Sunday as you first suggested. They got blitzed by an on-fire Arsenal team for about 30 minutes of the first half before giving a lot back in the second half.

However, I dont want to continue the discussion about that game as its completely off-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

elbow316 wrote:
    Bloody hell I ennjoyed that....Bring on the mancs!!*

*Although the inevitable will happen, United will turn it into a scrap, bring us down to their level and get the win :/

That's it cover your bases.

I wouldn't read too much into the result, As has already been said it's likely Everton have been on the beer since the weekend. As for the goal difference well it's a poor indictment of the teams below them that they can get 4th with such a low difference..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did not see game but hats off, must have been a great display.
    Will give them great confidence for the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Jaysus I'd say the likes of Juve, Barca and AC are cacking themselves at the prospect of playing Everton in the Champions League next season.........

Plenty of "witty" comebacks there, am nearly speechless. I don't which is actually funnier, the quality of your posts, your attempts at humour, taunts or how you trivialise the worst defeat in the history of your club..
    Nothing witty at all there... I speak only the truth young man...

Jesus man, get over it FFS. It was a game of football, which we lost; big deal. We got no points for the game. Same as losing 3-1. You get no points for the game no matter how much you lose by.

Our season had finished last weekend. We achieved our goal. Champions league qualification. The team went on the batter on sunday night apparently and i think that showed as well :D

You can harp on all you like, but to be honest, the fact that you keep going on about it is quite flattering to Evertonians. Just show's that they have a chip on their shoulder about Everton finishing 4th. GET OVER IT.
    I remember you coming up with a similar excuse last season after ye just about escaped relegation when Man City bet the team below ye. What was it, something like 4 defeats in a row with the team below ye only needing 1 point on the last day of the season?
    Not quite. We were 6 points clear in the end, so we had plenty of games that we could afford to lose. We had a bad run at the end. We knew we were safe. It would have been nice to win the last game or two and get some more prize money, but the premiership safety was reached, which was worth a lot more...
    "The team had nothing to play for" is a running joke with Everton it seems.
    Running joke? :rolleyes:
    Will see ye in the UEFA cup next season too ;)
    Perhaps if it was still the 2 league rounds in the CL with the losers going into the uefa after the first league stages, but that doesn't happen any more, so I guess we won't be seeing you in the UEFA cup after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

The FA should review allowing Everton into the Champions League, after that miserable unprofessional display against Arsenal. Clearly they didn't give a shlt as they are already secured 4th spot. They're paid professionals they should try their hardest anyway.

^^^ yawn :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The FA should review allowing Everton into the Champions League, after that miserable unprofessional display against Arsenal. Clearly they didn't give a shlt as they are already secured 4th spot. They're paid professionals they should try their hardest anyway.
    Why cause u are a liverpool fan.....? FFS!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement