Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Reinstalling xp from dell CD

• 11-05-2005 9:57pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭

HI,

My mam bought a computer with XP on it about 8 months ago (non dell) but it has started devoloping a few problems with internet, missing some dll files and a few other bits and bobs.
    Was chattin to a freind who said if there is not anything too important on it a re-install of XP might be a good idea??

ne way, she didn't get the xp backup disk with her computer, but I have one from my dell lappy
    any chance this will work on her machine??

cheers

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

It'll give you a few errors but it should work.

I assume your mam's PC has it's own licence code, otherwise we're venturing into illegal-ville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

prob be missing a few drivers & not sure how the activation will work.. I have a full version of XP pro( sp2 )-if your interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Have plenty of spare install media I can give you, as long as you have a valid key it should be fine...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

My mams comp should have the licence code all right,
    just have to locate it :rolleyes:
    Will sort that out @ da weekend when i get home

cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Dell OS cd's won't let you use them on a none dell machine
    They look at the BIOS and when it's not a Dell they give the two fingers

Been there
    Dec

• Advertisement

Ah,
    a slight problem i see
    gonna have to get my hands on another source so :mad:

to get the cd key download and run magical jellybean finder found here: http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Virus_Inc wrote:
    Have plenty of spare install media I can give you, as long as you have a valid key it should be fine...

Which version of windows do you have Home or pro, is i tOEM or full versions?

Im having problems, need a cd, I have my licence key though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

deckie27 wrote:

Been there
    Dec
    This is not true.

I scratched my XP Pro CD, so I installed XP onto my Fujitsu Siemens PC using my Dell disk. It does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

mik_da_man wrote:
    HI,

My mam bought a computer with XP on it about 8 months ago (non dell) but it has started devoloping a few problems with internet, missing some dll files and a few other bits and bobs.
    Was chattin to a freind who said if there is not anything too important on it a re-install of XP might be a good idea??

ne way, she didn't get the xp backup disk with her computer, but I have one from my dell lappy
    any chance this will work on her machine??

cheers

Mik

Its illegal to provide new computers without backup CD's with all software included.
    This applies for the Operating System as well.

Ring up the computer manufacturer and demand a replacement CD.

When Gateway2000 were still in Ireland I lost/broke my Win98 cd on a number of accasions and they posted me new ones without any questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is not true.

I scratched my XP Pro CD, so I installed XP onto my Fujitsu Siemens PC using my Dell disk. It does work.

It probably depends where the CD came from in the first place. Certainly the Win2k discs they were distributing a few years back were dell-only.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

it should be fine, Since both machines are dell,

Oem's have to tatoo the hard drive in thier computers so that thier disc will only work on their computers....

As long as its the same version of xp - both professional or both home you hall have no problems...Have your valid key handy though...You can dowload all the drivers off the web.

Digiking

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

actually are you sure there isn't a hidden restore partition, Lock in the manual about reinstalling or restoreing windows...Ibm use hidden partionions,, we'll at least they used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

deckie27 wrote:

Been there
    Dec
    Not true i have done this plenty of times on NON dell system - even the laptop using this minute has been done that way,

The only thing you will notice will be press start - go to support and it will be labeled dell -

Activation is fine if you have a valid license enter that you will be fine.

And they do not look in the bios - nothing to do with it.

julius wrote:
    Its illegal to provide new computers without backup CD's with all software included.

Ring up the computer manufacturer and demand a replacement CD.

When Gateway2000 were still in Ireland I lost/broke my Win98 cd on a number of accasions and they posted me new ones without any questions!

I had to do a reinstall for a mate a couple of weeks ago - she bought her laptop from pc world some packard bell laptop- And did not get the OS cd's with

They are optional she was told when she called them up for the cd -
    She rang packard bell they told her the same thing optional -
    Or you can buy a restore cd wich has it on it - and all the drivers

The only thing she got was a pre installed os - no cd's - no driver cd - and the user manual thats it nothing else..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Tech support will send you the OS CD if you ask for it

If you install the LAppy one though it will , from installing a good few it won't even ask for the licence key as it knows its a Dell from the motherboard

Just set the bios to OS install mode , seems to be Dells way of seting the cd as first boot device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

now after reading the first post properly I was only refering to Dell support thinking the machine was a DELL

The lappy Cd most likely won't install are they are bios locked

Most dell bios you can access via F12 - select the cd rom driveas first boot device - it should work fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

julius wrote:
    Which country ?
    'Cos I can remember Windows 95 being shippped with a bunch of labels - you had to go out and buy 20 floppies and make backups.
    The Targa laptops didn't have media for everything - 5 restore images on the drive - so I guess it' don't apply in Germany/Eu either.

I'd agree that it's imoral - but unless you've a link to show otherwise to the manufacturers then they'll do what they've beiing doing for the last decade - skimping on media if they reckon they can.

skimping on media if they reckon they can.

And they call it a "Option" :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

mik_da_man

How did u get on?

Dec

I got a Install CD from one of the board faithful 'perfer not to mention who just in case!!'
    But all is working fine now,
    tried to get back to where my mams comp was purchased but we didn't have receipt for it so they didn't enterain us!

:) but all go now :)

Cheers for all the help lads,
    it's amazing the amount of knowledge and willingness to help your fellow people out there, just have to know where to look!! :D

Mik

Advertisement