Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sata drives disapearing when system overclocks?

Options
  • 11-05-2005 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Any one managed to over clock their system cpu and still have the sata drives show up in windows?
    If i over clock or under clock i loose my sata drives, i dont know why. Also when I had my OS on the drive it died had to reinstall. WHen i clock my cpu back to the 2.6 gig the hard drives come back. Can I over clock my cpu and keep the drives. I have an abit board and a P4 2.6 8oomhz with 768 pc3200 ram.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If i over clock or under clock i loose my sata drives

First thing that springs to mind is that you haven't locked the PCI/AGP bus speeds. You need to lock them in BIOS to 33Mhz/66Mhz

If you don't do this, the bus speeds vary with your overclock and can cause graphics instability, or worse, HDD data loss or even physical damage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah you could be right there pci acp speeds did vary when i overclocked ib in the Bios, I`ll try that and let ya know how I got on.

2.6 to 2.8 gig now and I can still see my Sata hard drives. Fair balls te ya man for that one and thanks.Has had me baffled for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

unkel wrote:
    First thing that springs to mind is that you haven't locked the PCI/AGP bus speeds. You need to lock them in BIOS to 33Mhz/66Mhz

If you don't do this, the bus speeds vary with your overclock and can cause graphics instability, or worse, HDD data loss or even physical damage

yep thats exactly what happened to me on a mates pc , took me AGES to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Glad it worked out :)

I remember a lot of disappointed overclockers on early AMD64 motherboards that were stuck without overclock because their BIOS didn't allow locking of PCI / AGP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

unkel wrote:

I remember a lot of disappointed overclockers on early AMD64 motherboards that were stuck without overclock because their BIOS didn't allow locking of PCI / AGP

yeh like me, had an early amd64 mobo with no pci lock, could opnly overclock a tiny bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

unkel wrote:
    I was one of those poor souls too :(
    Only managed a 200Mhz OC... sickening

Yeah it worked but now i have a new problem. The over clock went fine. Then I went to out on a better heat sink on the cpu. I took off the old one then I realised that the other heat sink i had was an amd one. So i put the old HS back on. The system started freezing or spontaniouslly rebooting. The cup idle temp was mid 50s, not sure what it was before. I tried cleaning off all the old thermal gunk and appalying new fresh thermal paste and still no joy. Now the only way to run my p4 2.6 is at 2.2 mhz. Im getting a new heat sink soon, but I have no idea why its hanging. But at least with the agp/pci thing locked i can under clock and keep my Sata drives for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Did you get any big deep scratches on the HS ?
    Clean off the gunk with strong vodka or something like that, allow to dry and then reapply new paste. Make sure you dont use anything that leaves fibres like tissues aswell

You could be onto something there I did use kitchen tower to clean off the gunk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement