Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Make your own seaweed bath! From this weeks RTE Guide:

seaweed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Borrowed a couple of pics and merged them (not very successfully, but still...
    doonchurch4wm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Pictures!! I love pictures!!

c045.gif

Okay, Aero, A90, help me understand.

The school is on Main Street? Close to Ahafona? Where exactly? What side of the street? What direction are we looking in in the second photo?

And where exactly is Doon Church? I think I remember seeing it at a distance .... on the left side of the road as you're facing north? About a mile and half outside the village? The left side of the church in your pic is facing Ballybunion? Do I have that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

SS:, here is one of Listowel Horse Fair on Market Street taken recently.Thanks to CT
    1166255252050bg2st.jpg

The school is on the LEFT as you walk towards the grotto on the way to Listowel.

The other photo the guys can id.

So which of you has had a seaweed bath?
    Ballybunion Seaweed Baths

There are two famous Bath Houses on The Ladies Strand. - Collins and Dalys. For almost 100 years the North Kerry Community has been benefiting from our famous seaweed baths. Firstly, the natural goodness of bathing in salt water brings welcome relief to general muscular stiffness, tension, arthritic and rheumatic pain. The hot water stimulates the release of concentrated iodine from the seaweed. This acts as a natural antiseptic, whilst its oils moisturise your skin leaving a tingling freshness. The bath owners hand pick the seaweed daily from the "Blackrocks". The water provided for your bath is sea-water, pumped straight from the Atlantic Ocean each day. This is heated and ready for you at the turn of a tap.

Start Date Jan 01, 2005
    End Date Dec 31, 2005

Please contact for further details

Address
    Ladys Strand
    Ballybunion
    County Kerry

Phone 068 27469

http://www.ireland.ie/things_2_do_results_single.asp?sID=49048

Not to be indelicate, but doesn't a seaweed bath leave you smelling of ... well, seaweed?

• Advertisement

SS:, here is one of Listowel Horse Fair on Market Street taken recently.Thanks to CT
    1166255252050bg2st.jpg

The school is on the LEFT as you walk towards the grotto on the way to Listowel.

That's what I thought. (Maybe because A90's mentioning the sidewalk on the left side of the street. :D )

The Horse Fair wasn't in Cherry Tree's collection she uploaded, was it? :confused: That's right, it wasn't. She took her pics on the way to 10 o'clock Mass. Now I have to compare your pic to Cherry Tree's Market Street pics. Happy work for me. :)

There was some big boxing tournament in Ballybunion over the weekend.

I checked RTE - did you know you can watch RTE's newscast on the intraweb? - to see if thy would show any videotape from Ballybunion, but no such luck. :(

SNOWSCORPION quoted:
    I checked RTE - did you know you can watch RTE's newscast on the intraweb? - to see if thy would show any videotape from Ballybunion, but no such luck.

Yes I have been watching it lately.
    Is it a shorter version that we get ?
    Also have a shortcut to the National Anthem- reminds me when the Irish TV closed down for the night also at the end of the movies at the picture house.

I can't think of any way to get a shorter version of the news. But I would like to see a few TV commercials. I avoid them like the plague here, but it would be nice to see a few of them.

A90, reic, Aero, Alpha, Cherry Tree, opus ... do any of you listen to American radio on the intrawebnet.com? <--- (This joke is starting to get a little old, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.)

A90,

http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bb2lstl1lt.jpg

Jesus, that's a great map! I showed it to my Dad and he was wondering if you have a similar map for Longford ... an area called Soran just outside the village of Ballinalee.

http://www.countylongford.com/longford_map.htm

• Advertisement

A90,

http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bb2lstl1lt.jpg

Jesus, that's a great map! I showed it to my Dad and he was wondering if you have a similar map for Longford ... an area called Soran just outside the village of Ballinalee.

http://www.countylongford.com/longford_map.htm
    Sorry, no I don't, but you can buy one online. The one I have is in the Discovery category. If Soran is North, East or West of Ballinalee try this. If it's South click here. Or buy both and really go to town! The image on the page is of the entire map. It folds out to around 36" x 30" and is of course more detailed as in the other one. the scale is 1:50,000.

Excellent! Thanks A90.

I think I'm going to have to buy three of the maps for Longford. As far as I know, Soran is right about the place where three maps come togethter. :eek:

But the maps cost less than €8 each. So I might as well get the map for north Kerry too.

2000 views - October 27

21 days later...

3000 views - November 18

12 days later...

4000 views - November 30

We're growing fast boys and girls! c005.gif

eyeflash1vz.gifeyeflash1vz.gif
    bigwhitelargewebview3ny.jpg

[/IMG]
    2000 views - October 27

21 days later...

3000 views - November 18

12 days later...

4000 views - November 30

We're growing fast boys and girls! c005.gif

From this week's Irish Voice:

scan00014nc.jpg

copyofscan00016np.jpg

Well, it looks like I've found a little project for myself for the weekend.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/CalOverview.jsp

Kodak will let you make a calendar with up to 48 pictures of your choice.

So now I have to pick out twelve of the pictures from this very thread to make my calendar. But which ones? :confused:

The one from the top of Knockanore is an absolute must - that one will have to be cropped into 3 or 4 pictures. Let me think about what other ones to include.

Here's a question. I was looking at Alfa's pics on page 1. This is the last one he posted:

IMAG0067.jpg

And here is A90's pic of the Doon Road with a box I put in. Is the stretch of road in A90's pic the same stretch of road that Alfa took the picture of?

spicladiesstrand5gp.jpg

The "road" in the box is just a pathway.

If I were to walk backwards from where I took that pic for about a hundred yards, then turned to my right and looked down - that's the Road in Alfa's pic which leads down to the Seaweed Baths.

Hi SS,
    I do not think that there are the same road. One( A90SIX) is from Ladies to gents beach, that is a footpath.Probably the same footpath where we see REIC's shadow, in another photo from REIC

ALFA'S photo is of a traffic road ( see white dividing line). This may be the one from Cliff road ( where Doon Rd really begins) which goes down to the seaweed baths.
    I think that is it up here on the right of the grassy slope/cliff where those expensive apartments are..
    _________________________________-

Had a great Thanksgiving.Celebrated with turkey and the workson Wed with my old Tralee friend,he came up for the day, and ,Thanksgiving Day went to local Inn for Prime Ribs of Beef. So now have turkey soup and beef barley soup in the freezer. The good old doggy bag.

Oh! OK. Now I get it. I should have figured that out myself especially since Alfa took that picture last right after he took the picture of the Cliff Road and the Cliff House Hotel. I can be kinda dim sometimes. :o

I have to get used to thinking of the Doon Road and the Cliff Road as different sections. I used to think of Doon Road as going all the way down to the village and then sort of petering out in somewhere along the line.

I really like that pic, A90. I'm going to have put it in my Kodak calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

A letter from the current "Kerry Eye".

bcastle.jpg

Yes it looks like they ran of cement, morter and zest when they restored the Ballybunion Castle.
    They should have kept the original shape .

What's this my.b.ie Blog thing?

I just noticed it today. Is is the reason the rest of the board is moving so slowly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yes SS - that pic down to the beach and seaweed baths was taken directly accross the road from the Cliff House Hotel. The pic does not really show how steep the gradient of it is.
    During very hot days the cars would park along one side but it called for very skillful driving and use of the handbrake to park and exit this road without bumping into the car in front or behind.
    When I was on the beat I used to like to 'do the circle' - walk from the other end of the beach and up this road - great to keep fit. Although I used to get some strange looks walking in full uniform along the beach - but sure you never know when and where crime can raise its ugly head.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

@ ... A90six I love the detail in your short stories - and they are by no means skipped over. That one reminded me of my own (young) school days in the 60's. Keep em comin.:D

Ladies Strand, sometime in the 1980s

theladiesstrand1980s9jw.jpg

Aero,

you'll like this one: a picture at the top of Knockanore. I don't remember Marconi's station up there. But I remember it being windy.

(Note the Wellingtons on the narrabacks from the Bronx! :v: )

topofknockanoreimproved4un.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Aero

Originally located near where the "Irish College" is now situated. Across the road from the golf course.

8800484_f3510b0b60_o.jpg

Note the house in the distant background to the left of the station. That is the one that still exists on Sandhill Road. Helps to locate where the radio station was sited.

This is the site marker. I understand Ballybunion now has a road called "Marconi Avenue" to reflect the historic past association with trans-Atlantic radio communications.

8720639_56f26f6626_o.jpg

The (Amateur Radio) callsigns of Ballybunion radio operators are listed. My father is EI6AH. Others include Michael Beasley and Kevin Keane. My callsign is EI5BHB (VR2XBM in Hong Kong). There you go...!

Irish College in the background?

• Advertisement

Aero,

you'll like this one: a picture at the top of Knockanore. I don't remember Marconi's station up there. But I remember it being windy.

(Note the Wellingtons on the narrabacks from the Bronx! :v: )

Hi Snow Scorpion...nice picture! The wellingtons seem like a very good idea - especially when strolling around Knockanore!

As for the Marconi Radio Station....see my additional posts on the subject.

:)

Advertisement