Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

So the radio station was never on top of Knockanore?

What put that idea into my head?

c024.gif

Oh, yeah! That's right! Family member would often ask me what I was going to do that day. "Are ye going to the top of the hill to see the radio tower?"

No wonder I didn't see Marconi's station up there all those years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

eyeflash1vz.gifeyeflash1vz.gif
    bigwhitelargewebview3ny.jpg

[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Aero

So the radio station was never on top of Knockanore?

What put that idea into my head?

c024.gif

Oh, yeah! That's right! Family member would often ask me what I was going to do that day. "Are ye going to the top of the hill to see the radio tower?"

No wonder I didn't see Marconi's station up there all those years ago.

The antennas (aerials) up there belong to aeronautical communications (Shannon) and telephone companies - at least this was the case last time I checked.

Having some VHF antennas nearer to the Atlantic coast presumably extends Shannon ATC range.

I assume some of the microwave dishes pointing back towards Shannon carry the signal to/from Shannon / BallyB. No doubt someone with more recent experience in the town will be able to correct me...:)

Somebody's getting married.

No idea who.:confused:

aweddinginballybunion800wide3q.jpg

I listen to Radio Kerry a lot, but I don't hear a lot of traditional Irish music on there. (Although I do hear occasional rap and reggae! a093.gif)

Around here, we get out traditional Irish music from WFUV at Fordham University. Ceol na nGael is on every Sunday afternoon noon to 4 PM, New York Time ... 5PM to 9 PM Irish time. And guess what? It's streamed on the web here:

http://www.wfuv.org/

They even have 4 years worth of shows in the WFUV archives.

• Advertisement

Someone by name of rave 2420 has posted 11 Ballybunion pics at Flickr.

Click here to be whisked away to them immediately.

Aero, I was looking at your old black and white pictures at Flcikr. regarding "No. 5," where exactly was that pic of the woman and the baby carriage ... "pram":D ... taken?

Suddenly I get the feeling I asked that question once before.

I think I better go back to page 1 and read the entire thing again.

Aero, I was looking at your old black and white pictures at Flcikr. regarding "No. 5," where exactly was that pic of the woman and the baby carriage ... "pram":D ... taken?
    =============================
    Regret I don't know. My father just recently started to dig into his biscuit box full of old snaps and my sister commenced scanning the pics. I understand Dad is currently writing details on the backs of the pictures so hopefully I will eventually catch up with the names, locations etc. In the meantime, I do recognise that many of the photos were taken at the back of the family homes at lower main street...behind where the Anchorage guest house and J.J. O'Carroll's (now closed) shop located. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rave2420

Snow Scorpion, thank you for your email and your kind comments...I try and sometimes get lucky. Someday I'll understand the methods more. Glad you enjoyed them. For info they were taken on New Years day this year (abit behind on my Flickr uploading!). I'd taken a bunch of 'little people' out for a short drive, intending to clear my head after a very late night. However there was a wind blowing that you could lean into so we only managed about a few yards. All were taken from the road leading to the beach. We just missed some form of horse racing which takes place on the beach each new years day apparently - maybe I'll catch it next time round.
    I enjoyed following the posts although havent got thru them all (any mention if they got Bill Clinton's ball back?). You've all got alot of interesting knowledge/material - especially like the old books.
    My links to Ballybunion are very basic - spent a week or may two there on holidays as most 'Dubs' did in the early 70's - only rained twice, once for 3 days and once for 4. Despite that (although probably wasnt that bad I recall the nightly trip to the dodgems and irish music in Harty Costello's. It was 1974 as I remember watching Johann Cruyff and Holland in the World Cup finals. I only returned once or twice many years after but totally unrelated I married a girl from Listowel and have been beating a track up and down for the last 6 years or so. Most recent trip was September and the new (welcome) addition at the time was the kids playground, and hope to get back down shortly.

I'll keep an eye in on the posts

Welcome RAVE2420 to the Ballybunion Forum. Tell the missus to take a gander at the Listowel Forum.Do ye listen to RTE Radio on Sundays? Cyril Kelly, a Listowel man, is featured in Sunday Miscellany. Wonderful stories from him and some of them . in regards to Listowel.

Welcome rave. Ahh, Dublin ... a "jackeen" as you're called down in Kerry. :D (I've always heard the expression used in a friendly way. If it's a genuine insult, then pretend I never typed it. :p ) Next time you're in the Listowel/Ballybunion area, well....around here those of us not in Ireland really love to see pictures (hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more!)

Sandhill, is this your old stomping ground?

copyofballybunionsandhillroadm.jpg

• Advertisement

Aero wrote:
    In the meantime, I do recognise that many of the photos were taken at the back of the family homes at lower main street...behind where the Anchorage guest house and J.J. O'Carroll's (now closed) shop located. :)

I did notice that J.J. O'Carroll's is in a lot of your pictures. Did they sell books in there? Bestsellers, I mean. I have a copy of Airport by Arthur Hailey that I bought in Ballybunion. I remember I got it in one of those shops across the street from Michael Beasley's Gift Shop. Maybe I got in J.J. O'Carroll's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rave2420

Snow Patrol, no offence taken - used to it long ago. Will see what I can do if I manage to get down over the holidays.

Had a quick glance thru the listowel thread - came across one of my wifes relations in one of the team photos. Must try and show the in-laws the threads at some stage.

To all the non Irish based posters - would you by any chance be familiar with the O'Briens Sandwich bars or be aware of one in your vicinity? If so I have a small favour to ask (via private email) tks.

Welcome rave. Ahh, Dublin ... a "jackeen" as you're called down in Kerry. :D (I've always heard the expression used in a friendly way. If it's a genuine insult, then pretend I never typed it. :p ) Next time you're in the Listowel/Ballybunion area, well....around here those of us not in Ireland really love to see pictures (hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more!)

Sandhill, is this your old stomping ground?

copyofballybunionsandhillroadm.jpg
    Yes it is my old stomping ground.A very nice walk down Sandhillroad past The Marine Hotel, Maureen O'Sullivans, Bessie Foleys, Asrigardi's, Sweeneys, Allens and then around the curve in the road past Corriden's, Coyne's,Buckle's to home.Ahh, I can still taste the salt sea air!!

rave2420 wrote:
    Snow Patrol, no offence taken - used to it long ago. Will see what I can do if I manage to get down over the holidays.

Had a quick glance thru the listowel thread - came across one of my wifes relations in one of the team photos. Must try and show the in-laws the threads at some stage.

To all the non Irish based posters - would you by any chance be familiar with the O'Briens Sandwich bars or be aware of one in your vicinity? If so I have a small favour to ask (via private email) tks.

Had a quick glance thru the listowel thread - came across one of my wifes relations in one of the team photos. Must try and show the in-laws the threads at some stage

www.listowelemmets.com

I did notice that J.J. O'Carroll's is in a lot of your pictures. Did they sell books in there? Bestsellers, I mean. I have a copy of Airport by Arthur Hailey that I bought in Ballybunion. I remember I got it in one of those shops across the street from Michael Beasley's Gift Shop. Maybe I got in J.J. O'Carroll's.

Negative on the sale of books Snow Scorpion. Just groceries on my Mom's side of the shop and electrical / tv / radio on my Dad's side.

With the advent of supermarket chains years ago, the "small shop on the corner" was destined for extinction...and so it transpired, at least in the case of my family.

Ah well...such is progress I suppose. :(

Aero wrote:
    Negative on the sale of books Snow Scorpion. Just groceries on my Mom's side of the shop and electrical / tv / radio on my Dad's side.

With the advent of supermarket chains years ago, the "small shop on the corner" was destined for extinction...and so it transpired, at least in the case of my family.

Hmm, I must have gotten the book at the store next door.

Groceries on one side, electronics on the other. My grandmother got most of the groceries at Deenihan's - her "messages" as she used to call them. But I remember her frequently mentioning JJ O'Carroll's. I remember hearing fairly often, "We'll stop in at JJ O'Carroll's." What was she getting there, I wonder? I imagine your folks and Deenihan's were selling more or less the same stuff.

Maybe my uncles were buying stuff from your Dad's side of the store?
    Aero wrote:
    Ah well...such is progress I suppose. :(
    Butch Cassidy: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
    Guard: People kept robbing it.
    Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty.

In this season of peace on earth and good will towards men, I present a list of some of the words that came in my direction as a child.

Amadan

Ginnit

Eejit

Blaggard

Ba-cock

Narrowback

Own-chuck (A favorite of my mother's)

Prukish (A favorite of my grand-uncle's)

Another one I heard from my mother more times than I can count: "Put on a ganzee, will ye? And don't be galavanting around like a May-boy."

No wonder I am the way I am. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Happy Christmas - everyone on the Ballybunion thread - have a nice one and don't get too drunk.:D

I will be working for most of it - ah well sure that's the nature of the job.:v:

_IMVTemp_Show_ATT28.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MoonTV

i go there ever summer, we've a mobile home up on the cliff, its not a bad old place, ok some of the locals are a bit odd and there are alot of major scobes around but its great craic for me and my brother, we've made a lot of friends there and its great to maet up ever so often!

I've made a few good videos in McMunns pub, anyone know it??

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Hi Snow,

I enjoyed your list of words which are by no means unique to North Kerry.

Amadan: Irish for a fool

Ginnit: Jennet the offspring of a she-ass and a stallion.

Eejit: Idiot

Blaggard: I often heard this one but am unsure as to its source

Ba-cock: This is new to me. Is it a BallyB saying

Narrowback: Used in the US in a derogartory manner about second generation Irish who no longer worked in manual construction. ie were not broadbacks any more.

Own-chuck (A favorite of my mother's). Irish for a female fool

Prukish (A favorite of my grand-uncle's) Interesting one which I have never heard. What does it mean? Is it a BallyB saying?

ganzee: a corrupition of the word Guernsey a patterned wollen jumper. (Likewise Jersy and Arran and Fair Isle)

galavanting : I have often herad this word which means aimless wandering in search of pleasure.

May-boy. I have never heard of this.

I remember the Limerick guys in BallyB referring to Lachees (a contraction of Latchico)

I also remember fellas being referred to as a "Cut Jack" a castrated donkey.

Some of these old words are really powerfull!

As an aside did you ever hear the dances (and laterly the discos) in the Atlantic Ballroom referred to as the "Ganders"?

The Rev BJ

• Advertisement

MoonTV wrote:
    ... ok some of the locals are a bit odd ...

c028.gif Why do people keep saying that?

MoonTV wrote:
    ... and there are alot of major scobes around but its great craic for me and my brother...

What's a scobe? c024.gif And what's a major scobe? c024.gifc024.gif

Welcome to the thread, moon! Don't be a stranger. Stop by and post often.

Hi Snow,

Ba-cock: This is new to me. Is it a BallyB saying

Prukish (A favorite of my grand-uncle's) Interesting one which I have never heard. What does it mean? Is it a BallyB saying?

I remember the Limerick guys in BallyB referring to Lachees (a contraction of Latchico)

I also remember fellas being referred to as a "Cut Jack" a castrated donkey.

Some of these old words are really powerfull!

As an aside did you ever hear the dances (and laterly the discos) in the Atlantic Ballroom referred to as the "Ganders"?

The Rev BJ

Ba-cock is a word my grandmother often used.

:eek: WHAT?? My mother was calling me a female fool?!?!? a090.gif

I'm only guessing at the spelling of prukish. It's pronounced PROO-kish.

Lachees and Ganders are new to me, but Cut Jack rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind.

Merry Christmas, Officer Alfa and everyone else in the thread. Good to know you're keeping an eye on us and making sure the riff-raff stays out.

:confused:

Isn't it Happy Christmas over there?

Look what I found somewhere on the intrawebnet: 15_1_150.gif

santa01june0tj.gif+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To all:- A very Happy Christmas. Good health ,happiness and prosperity in 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Bacach is an Irish adjective meaning "lame". Since people who were lame were often unemployable and therefore forced to beg it became a byword for a beggar. Enentually it degenerated into a term of abuse as in "you dirty ould bacach". John b. has a character in Sive called Pats Bacach

It's been so long ago, but I remember parts of a song.
    Is it from SIVE?:_

On the road to Abbeyfeale
    Sure I met a man with mail
    Come here says he and pass your idle time
    To me he said quite bold
    For the young will wed the old
    and the old man have the money for the child.

For they murdered poor old Sive
    for she would not be a bride and they laid her down to bury in the clay.

Happy New Year to all

Bacach! So that's how you spell it.

Now I can set google loose on the word:

Ná bí i do bhod bacach! = Don't be such a wanker!

:D

5,000 views!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/kerry/killehenny.htm

is a link to those living in Ballybunion in 1850

Love the banter, here,
    and in Listowel link.

Pictures are wonderful

Advertisement