Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

hi to all! I have been away (again) but back now.

Ballyb is hoppin'! August bank-hol weekend and the joint is jumpin'!

The World Fleadh is starting next week so it will only get better / worse (depending on your point of view!)

The Tintean is just off Church Road. Turn onto Church Road at the Garda Station, and take a right about 40 yds later. There should be a sign, but there is only a A3 cardboard yolk on a telephone pole.

Welcome to Jugs and Hickeys! Hope to see more of you!

Jugs, please feel free to send me your pic, and brighten my day! I am back to work after 2 weeks on the beach and I am mildy depressed!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Ah, Rider returns!

Welcome back, dood. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

SNOWSCORPION:
    Check out the new GOOGLE VIDEO

SNOWSCORPION:
    Check out the new GOOGLE VIDEO

Sandhill - a key word would be really helpful. ;)

Sorry SNOWSCORPION. It was just to point out the NEW Google Video. Nothing in particular .

• Advertisement

Sorry SNOWSCORPION. It was just to point out the NEW Google Video. Nothing in particular .

Ah! I've seen it. I wandered around there for about an hour or so yesterday.

I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on, but for the time being YouTube is clearly the leader of the pack among websites for sharing video clips.

well, The World Fleadh has started in Ballybunion last Monday. There are many pubs with live entertainment, and a fun fair in the car park. The good stuff will not start until Thurs / Fri, but the town is very busy and lively at the moment.

Check out www.theworldfleadh.com for details.

well, The World Fleadh has started in Ballybunion last Monday. There are many pubs with live entertainment, and a fun fair in the car park. The good stuff will not start until Thurs / Fri, but the town is very busy and lively at the moment.

Check out www.theworldfleadh.com for details.

Rider, are there really 50,000 people in Ballybunion this week? :eek: :eek:
    14/08/2006 - 8:05:30 AM

50,000 expected in Ballybunion for World Fleadh

More than 50,000 traditional music fans are expected to descend on Co Kerry this week for the first-ever World Fleadh to be held in Ireland.

One thousand set dancers and more than 40 acts are due to perform at the event in Ballybunion, which gets underway today.

The Gypsy Kings, the Waterboys and other leading trad acts are due to perform on a stage overlooking the Atlantic Ocean during the finale of the festival on Sunday.

The organisers expect the event to generate up to €20m for the local economy.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=192073654&p=y9zx7436x&n=192074414

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hickey's wrote:
    If you were a Garda in BB,you must have heard of the great John Morgan.and Eddie Connor. St Molone.

Ah Yes - great guys - worked with them all. Eddie is retired now too. Ah good memories. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddy Camus

No wonder there was no Kerry folk at the match yesterday. They were all in Ballyb haaaaaaaaaa.

http://www.underawheelbarrow.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement

from yesterday's Independent
    Kerry too strong for Cork in All Ireland semi

Kerry have progressed to their third successive All Ireland Football final with a 0-16 to 0-10 win over Cork at Croke Park.

Jack O'Connor's men led by 0-8 to 0-5 at half-time, after Cork had taken the lead from a Conor McCarthy point.

Mike Frank Russell with 0-6 and Colm Cooper with 0-5 were the stars of the show for Kerry who led for virtually the entire match.

Kerry will meet either Mayo or Dublin in the final.

I thought I posted this before but "search this thread" says I didn't (unless I'm using it wrong :o )

Turn on your speakers and you'll hear the voice of an angel (and try to ignore that drunk in the background who insists on "helping" her.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAUU_H1z6VY

50,000 people in Ballybunion last week and RTE doesn't send a camera crew to cover it? :confused: :mad:

Or am I just not seeing the report at RTE's website?

So I'm wandering around the intrawebb and stumble across this claim:
    Shannon
    This town is located within two miles of the airport itself, and is Ireland's only new town built for centuries.

http://www.iftn.ie/locations/dsp_urbmuns.cfm?area=

Seriously? "Ireland's only new town built for centuries"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jeboc

100_0118.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Jeboc, and welcome to the thread.

I don't know where they got the estimates of 50,000 .... maybe they're all asleep duing the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

[IMG][/img]bbun.jpg

From T.J. Barrington's "Discovering Kerry", which I've found in 3 different places in the past week, whilst holidaying in the Dingle penninsula, varying in price from 19.99 euro to 45 euro.

REIC,
    Welcome back to North Kerry.
    Hope you enjoyed the holiday!
    Keep in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spiker

Hello to all. I am new to this site. I have been to Ballybunion 3 times. My mother
    was born and raised there, she left in 1945 (war bride) and came to US. I have fond memories from there , esp. on the cliff walks(very spiritual), My Granda was an IRA fighter during the rising and used to hide in the caves on the beach there. He was a Carrig, asnd I am related to Barry,s , McMahons and O'Conners.In fact Chris and Frankie O'Conner are cousins who still live there.
    It is great to find this site and hope to keep up to date on one of my favorite places in the world.

Hello SPIKER,
    even up here in Rhinebeck New York I have met 2 of the McMahons. Small world indeed

• Advertisement

2304985378959f10e6e1kw9.jpg

Very cool, Sandhill, very cool! c014.gif

I've never seen the castle from that angle before. At first I thought a helicopter or private plane. Then when I realized the camera is on the same level as the Castle Green I figured the pic was taken with a digital camera from the path for the cliff walk.

What's the big white thing behind the castle? I couldn't figure it out. My brother thinks it's covering the stage for the Fleadh.

What's the big white thing behind the castle? I couldn't figure it out. My brother thinks it's covering the stage for the Fleadh.
    __________________Your brother is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I was wondering myself, I was there last Saturday, the weekend after the Fleadh (couldn't get tickets for the Gipsy Kings the weekend before) and couldn't get parking anywhere. That's the price you pay for a sunny Saturday in Ballybunion. I drove on to Beale strand, pretty depressing, but on the way back stopped off at Beale Wind Farm. Scary!!! Those tall "windmills" making a whoosh...whoosh...whoosh sound. Very eerie.

dingle06_6.jpg

And paid a trip to Ballyheigue beach. A wedding party arrived for photos. It took 3 bridesmaids to hold her dress down from the wind that was blowing, lol.

dingle06_10.jpg

some pics from the weekend....
    the tide was at its highest for nearly 20 years!
    Thanks to ImageShack forFree Image Hosting

some pics from the weekend....
    the tide was at its highest for nearly 20 years!
    imag0016og9.jpg

and another shot of tide in, this time on the Ladies beach
    imag0036rp2.jpg

and, of course, the tide does to out! Pretty far too!
    These are the cliffs as seen from that rare angle....the front! (unless you have a boat or surfboard!)
    imag0047xm7.jpg

..and a bit closer to the cliff.
    imag0049zg2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LondonLass

Well, hello to ye all! I am so glad to see this Ballybunion thread! My father was born on Knockanore, and his father before him and a few more before that! My dad left in 1955 to come to London for work but still comes home often. I first came to Ballybunion around 1984, aged 7, to meet my grandfather for the first time. I remember driving up from Shannon in amazement as it was the first time I had ever seen the countryside!! I went home many times with my dad through my childhood, but I haven't been back now since I was 17, that's coming up 13 years since I was last in Ballybunion. I was doing photography at college at that time, and I have quite a few photos you all may be interested in. I think I even have pictures of the 'stolen' Lartigue Monorail in Boscoe's backyard! He was a good friend of my dad's, I'm sure we'll be having a good laugh about that when I tell him it was nicked!
    Anyways, I have read the whole of this thread and have enjoyed it so much, there's a couple of things my dad has told me which might interest you. Knockanore IS known as the 'Hill Of Gold', although you'll find it's mostly the older people who know this. Many many years ago, some Germans came over and believed it was true and started digging huge holes all over the top to try and find all the gold! Sounds mad but it's true, I don't know how long ago it was though. I love the picture of the two boys standing on the old plinth at the top. There used to be a huge cross stuck in it, what was left of it was lying nearby, but it's probably well gone by now! You can walk down from the top straight to our old house but you end up running it's so steep!
    So much seems to have changed in the 13 years I have been away, I almost feel like staying home because it sounds like everything has or is being developed and I just can't imagine Ballybunion like that! I remember lock-ins at Mikey Joe's when the man himself was still in charge! What a great fella he was, he always gave me 20ps for the pool table while he and my dad sat back and talked of old times. My Aunt Eileen used to work at the Castle Hotel, I'm so shocked it's gone! And the missing piece off Castle Green, I'll say no more about that one! I have a picture of my dad standing out next to the red flag over the railings, I'll have to have a look for it.
    Also, someone earlier said it was the highest tide for 20 years not too long ago, well when I was over in 93', the tide touched the path at the back of the beach, it came in so quick as well some old fella told me it was the spring tide, and I am amazed if there was a bigger one then that! I took photos of waves 30 foot high hitting the cliffs before my my ankles were drenched and I had to run back up the beach! The wind and weather there is crazy! I truly believed that all birds in Ballybunion flew backwards until my dad explained it was the wind coming in off the sea, blowing them all over the place!
    So I will be back again very soon, I am so excited but nervous in case it's all changed too much, but this time I'm armed with an even better camera and the knowledge that the birds are normal! I will be around Ballybunion, Tullamore, Lisselton, Listowel, Ballyduff, Asdee for most of my holidays, so if anyone has any requests for photos of anything at all, do let me know. I'll be going at the beginning of October so you all have a while to think about it! Of course there will be the obligatory Castle Green photo, but I think my dad's a bit too old now to go over those railings so he won't be in it!
    Good luck to ye all, if I see fella in a Jim Morrison t-shirt I'll be guessing if it's you Rider!
    Cheers :D

Advertisement