Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Hello BEEZER19. Happy to see you mention Bubbles ( do you know what her real name is ?). When I did spend a couple of months in Ballyb ( down Sandhill Rd) I would come up town in the morning for the paper and have coffee in in the pub area. Did you know Bubble's mother ? I know Donald from years back. Chris and Christine too. Joe and Katie were very young then- I do remember when one of them was born I gave them an 1890ish silver coin. Wonderful family. Have not been 'home" since 1999 ( then it was Wintertime and everyone was on holidays. What a bummer. Did not see anyone that year. So I really have not seen any of them since 1988. Never ate in Bubbles/Donald's restaurant. You can catch a glimse of the Exchange in the UTUBE videos of SNOWSCORPION.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

SNOWSCORPION: another great video . I'm was waiting for you to say " Oh S##T !" when you realised that you were driving on the wrong side.

The Exchange is about 3 doors from the garda station on the same side as you walk towards the beach.( nearly directly across from Jimmy Lynches, where you bought those wellies so many years ago ).
    Did you have late night fish / sausage and chips at the chipper ?

I was surprised how easy it was to get used to driving on the left. I only moved to the right twice: once after making a turn in the parking lot at Shannon and once in the video when I was focused on the camcorder....The roundabouts were another story entirely. They were fairly easy as long as the signs were up, but some of them didn't have all the exits marked. There was much cursing. :o

The chipper is long gone. However, the Denny's sausages are there still! There's a supermarket there now - Super Valu. (And three other stores as well - a dry cleaner and I forget what the other two were.) Every day I was there I had a half-pound of sausages for breakfast (along with several slices Brennan's bread toasted and Kerrygold butter.) And a full pound of sausages for dinner every night. :eek:

You'd think eating like that I'd have gained some weight, but I was 196 when I got to Ireland and I was 196 when I got back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Blackrocks

Hi all
    Just visited Ballyb and Listowel. Looking at thenew posts, its great to see all the photos andof course the drives around that classy town!
    Some places look great just like they usedto be especially the ones that are still in same family ownership. oh for the memories..does anybdy remember the LIDDY family that used to spend their summers there??I just see the photo of JJ OCarrolls - whos aero?? - looks lovely around there - great to see the traditional colours but [B]why the big
    awful railings on top - lovely houses - but I wish the [/
    B]original look could remain. I remember these lovely houses but its so sad to see railings ad shutters anyway, it cant have been easy in the town with the awful weather but LONGLIVE BALLYB!!!

The big map by the playground

bigmaptw4.th.jpg

Hi, Blackrocks. Welcome to the thread.

Glad you like the videos and pictures. There's more of them coming.

How recently were you in Kerry?

• Advertisement

SNOWSCORPION quote:
    You'd think eating like that I'd have gained some weight, but I was 196 when I got to Ireland and I was 196 when I got back home.

SNOWSCORPION quote:

Going running every other day didn't hurt either. (Including a 7-miler.)

copyofimg0947ti5.th.jpg

copyofimg0948sd9.th.jpg

Hmmm, maybe I should have held the camera a little steadier.

Ah, well, it's still legible.

img09491jn4.th.jpg

img09492ng8.th.jpg

5119472773845c68d61xg1.jpg

5111432266739839923jl4.jpg

51194725313a12e40d0kn8.jpg

511143306a55474a340dt1.jpg

I thank RiderOnTheStorm for the following image:

sandhillrdjv1.jpg

Thanks SNOWSCORPION for the tours.
    How much had you to pay for this info?
    I am sure with all the photos of Ballybunion that have been uploaded by all and sundry in your Ballybunion Forum that Ballyb did not seem that strange to you after all these years.

I don't know who the human is but the statue you know .

511143254706d554142ah5.jpg

• Advertisement

BEEZER19: these are the houses( now much changed ) opposite J.J.O'Carrols.

cd561bcs0ox6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Was in Ballybunion last Saturday afternoon. Pretty quiet there. Did the cliff walk but the winds were very strong. Saw a gang on Nun's strand and found the (scary) way down to it. The winds were too strong for me to attempt it but I will do it next time I'm in the area and the weather is reasonable, and tide out.

Ballyb.jpg

Thanks SNOWSCORPION for the tours.
    How much had you to pay for this info?
    I am sure with all the photos of Ballybunion that have been uploaded by all and sundry in your Ballybunion Forum that Ballyb did not seem that strange to you after all these years.

Pay for the info? You lost me. You mean the little maps for the walking tours? They were sitting on the coffee table of the cottage I rented.

The pics helped a great deal. But it was always tough when someone posted a new pic for me to figure out where exactly in the village the picture was taken.

And there will be plenty of pics to come (if I ever get around to putting some captions on them. :o )

One of the small windmills at Beale. The big one wasn't working the day I was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQOn3eLreE

A touristy video this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jihRFL2-GP4

Another walk:

copyofimg0951lm8.th.jpg

mapwalk3dg0.th.jpg

A WORTHWHILE TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!!!

clik on the link below:

http://www.tropicalglen.com/

When you click on the link above, it will take you to a jukebox with different years listed. Click on the year you want to hear. When the music starts, you can move the curser in the playback down and see all the songs associated with that year.
    If you love music........this site is for you. Pick the year and enjoy all the hits. You can let it play through the entire list of that year or highlighting a particular song will play it instantaneously.

HAVE FUN !
    :D:D

Another walk

map41ge2.th.jpg

map42sc8.th.jpg

The Kerry forum reaches 2000 posts!

e118.gif

Driving into Ballybunion by way of the Listowel Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpyNxyaPWvg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Beezer19

I would love a pic of The Exchange. Exterior, interior... if the Hellards are still running it, tell them it is for Todd who used to live with them a few years ago...should prove to be a laugh.

• Advertisement

Beezer19 wrote:
    I would love a pic of The Exchange. Exterior, interior... if the Hellards are still running it, tell them it is for Todd who used to live with them a few years ago...should prove to be a laugh.

Beezer, is The Exchange visible in the video in post 833 on page 42?

Or, I could just post the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjm7xCNQcs

i'm looking for a nice photo...but thanks

Beezer, is The Exchange visible in the video in post 833 on page 42?

Or, I could just post the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjm7xCNQcs

Yes SNOWSCORPION the Exchange is on the right( white van is in front of building) , the Exchange is 2 buildings from the blue Police station going towards the beach)

map51qx4.th.jpg

map52yt4.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Beezer19 wrote:

Sorry for the delay, Breezer. Im just a lazy bugger .....

Here is the exterior of the Exchange. The Hellards still run it. The bar has extended into the restaurant and so the restaurant is gone. Shame, lovely food there. Best in Ballyb (imho).

sta40693ta2.jpg

I will get photo of interior soon. I will get a pic of the Hellards next time I am talking to them, and just make sure they dont mind thier pic and news being on the web.

I cant remember, and I have searched to no avail..... but someone posted a pic of a house on the cliff from a few years ago, and they thought that it was now a hotel.

Well, there is a Cliff House Hotel, and there is a wall there now that matches a wall in the old pic, but I cant find that pic in this thread. Hope you know what I mean (whoever posted that pic)

sta40703wa8.jpg
    sta40705cs9.jpg
    sta40706zf5.jpg

The pub formerly known as Tonys 19th (now called the Backstage Bar)
    sta40676gm7.jpg
    sta40680na1.jpg

The new(ish) Supervalue store
    sta40679js2.jpg

Beachcombing!
    sta40694rj3.jpg

Wow, i would have never thought that Bubbles would give up the restaurant. I know that there was always talk of Chris expanding, i was living with the Hellards when they expanded out the back. I will have to drop them a line sometime. Must be quite a decent size pub now with all that space.

• Advertisement

pic of the new (and complete!) sports centre on Kit Ahern road
    sta40708rt6.jpg

Advertisement