Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

congrats on the milestones Snow! 1k posts & 50k views!!

keep up the good work.

sorry for my continued long absence. So.... how are folks here? All well? good :-)
    I am in full control of my camera again (I got it back from my son!) so if y'all want any up-to-date pics of BallyB, just let me know.

just checked my 2 BallyB videos on Youtube, and most viewers were from Ireland, UK and USA (with NY being most popular state). Hard to tell if UK hit my videos more than US.... but IRL was way ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

It's a cool little whatever ... utility, I guess it would be called, that YouTube added on. I wonder how long it's been there. (If I was more observant I'd know.)

How did Main Street turn after the re-paving? Everytime I look at my videos from Main Street I get distracted by all the shaking of the camera.

I am in full control of my camera again (I got it back from my son!) so if y'all want any up-to-date pics of BallyB, just let me know.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing what's down this way.

I wandered down that way one day last summer just to look around and got distracted by something and I never went back down there.

photothiswa7.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 culhane

Snow Scorpian,

That Pic of Brosnans Bakery with the 2 vans is great.
    They are a very succesfull well known local Business Family.
    This is a pic of them in thier business infancy.
    It is possibly in the late 50's.

The family didn't have it themselfs and are delighted to have seen it.
    Any more like this would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 culhane

Snow Scorpian,

That Pic of Brosnans Bakery with the 2 vans is great.
    They are a very succesfull well known local Business Family.
    This is a pic of them in thier business infancy.
    It is possibly in the late 50's.

The family didn't have it themselfs and are delighted to have seen it.
    Any more like this would be great.

Hi, Culhane. Welcome to the thread.

I'll have a look through the photo album but I don't think there are any more pics in the village. If there are, they are very very few in number.

But I'll have a look anyway. If there's anything even a little bit interesting I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing what's down this way.

That is (literally) up my street! I live on Kit Ahern road (or Kitty Ahern as it is in that map )

I will take a few pics in the next few days, and have them up here before the weekend.

The roads are nearly finished. Main st is done (road & path) and several others around. Its looking good. Many of the streets were made one-way, and I think they widened the paths on those.

That is (literally) up my street! I live on Kit Ahern road (or Kitty Ahern as it is in that map )

I will take a few pics in the next few days, and have them up here before the weekend.

The roads are nearly finished. Main st is done (road & path) and several others around. Its looking good. Many of the streets were made one-way, and I think they widened the paths on those.

Excellent! I've been trying to remember what distracted me the day I went down there last summer, but whatever it was has completely slipped my mind. All I really remember of the street was my impression of it was "spacious." (Of course, compared to the Bronx, most places are spacious.)

I was looking at the YouTube's insights for the second video I posted - "Drive up Doon Road" - which includes a little of the drive along Main Street and up Cliff Road as well. In Europe all the views were from Ireland (the most, natch) and the UK.

In the US, most of the views were from New York, second most from Illinois, third most from Arizona. There were also people from New Jersey, Kentucky, South Carolina, Texas, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Connecticut interested in seeing Doon Road again.

• Advertisement

Hey, it works! :cool:

OK, this post has nothing to do with Ballybunion. I just got the Ubuntu 8.04 LiveCD in the mail and I'm taking it for a test drive and I figured what should I make my first Windows-free stop ever on the intraweb? And here I am!

All right, I'll check in here again later. I'm off to play with my new toy.

I'm off to play with my new toy.

boys and their toys! lol

enjoy, Snow!

boys and their toys! lol

enjoy, Snow!

Hmm, one thing it can't do is put anything in My Pictures or My Documents. Maybe I'd have to install it on the computer to get it to do those things.

Anyway, on to Insights on another video. The third video I posted - Driving to Ballybunion golf course - has the second most views - almost 700 - of all the videos I've posted.

In Europe, the views are from
    Ireland
    UK
    France
    Norway
    Germany
    Lithuania

And from America, there have been views from 23 states:
    1. New York
    2. New Jersey
    3. Virginia
    4. Arizona
    5. California
    6. Illinois
    7. Texas
    8. Colorado
    9. Washington
    10. Kentucky
    11. Ohio
    12. Michigan
    13. Pennsylvania
    14. Massachusetts
    15. North Carolina
    16. South Carolina
    17. Alabama
    18. Mississippi
    19. Florida
    20. Kansas
    21. Missouri
    22. New Hampshire
    23. Connecticut

And there was even one view from somewhere in Asia.

Sometime during the last week or so, boards.ie added the option of putting YouTube videos in posts! Thanks, boards.ie, I'll be making use of that! Here's the the five minute drive from the East End of Ballybunion almost to the entrance of the Golf Club.

So who in the big, wide world is curious to see what it's like to drive into Ballybunion by way of the upper road? This might be the first video I made last year. I can tell because for little bit I was driving on the right - paying more attention to the camcorder than the car. Ah well, no harm done. Although there could have been a lot of harm done if that red tractor had appeared 30 seconds sooner. I'm almost positive I remember seeing that tractor repeatedly going back and forth along the upper road that week I was in Ballyb.

According to YouTube, the views are from:

from Europe
    Ireland
    UK
    Spain
    Poland
    Denmark

from the US
    New York
    Louisiana
    California
    Illinois
    Colorado
    North Carolina
    Maryland
    New Jersey
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Rhode Island

And the surprise view
    Uruguay

So who in the big, wide world is curious to see what it's like to drive into Ballybunion by way of the upper road? ....... Uruguay

well, shuffle my shells! That is strange. Wonder if its some ex-pat hiking across S. America and just longing to see hometown cold wet crap roads...... lol

:D

That's the same thing I thought. Is there some poor soul somewhere down there homesick to see Ahafona?

360 views in the last 48 hours?!

MSN-Emoticon-092.gif

Man, a lot of people are fascinated by windmills. Here are YouTube's insights for the video of the windmills up in Beale.

My first reaction when I saw them was they were a little bit scary. Those things are huge (and the one in the video is one of the small ones; the big one wasn't working the day we were there.) There's nobody watching these things and I was thinking someone should be keeping an eye on something that big that's moving.

Europe - 7 countries
    Ireland
    Poland
    UK
    Sweden
    France
    Netherlands
    Czech Republic

Asia
    Japan

USA - 17 states
    Illinois
    New York
    California
    Arizona
    Colorado
    Kansas
    Arkansas
    Tennessee
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    New Jersey
    Maryland
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Virginia

A couple new videos of Ballybunion have appeared at YouTube. Neither of them are mine. This one is a well-made one about the golf course.

And this one is some eejit trying to get in the SuperValue - and failing. :D

From the Kerryman, June 4:
    Woman is rescued after 70-foot fall off Ballybunion cliff

The woman, who is from the area and in her 20s, had been walking on the cliffs in Ballybunion on Thursday at 1pm when she is thought to have lost her footing and fallen up to 70 feet into the waters below - miraculously missing the rocks and sustaining only minor injuries.

A passerby at the time raised the alarm and their screaming was heard by surfer Kevin McMahon who was out on a surfboard on the water below. He came to the aid of the woman with two of his friends, who were also out surfing, and together they were able to bring her into shore where a Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue unit was waiting to treat her. "We received the call out from Valentia at 1.15pm on Thursday but thankfully one of our lads was already in the water surfing and if it hadn't been for his quick actions and those of his friends the situation could have been a lot worse," Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue spokesperson, Omar Fitzelle, told The Kerryman. "She was extremely lucky to survive the fall in the first place and we were able to give her first aid the minute she was brought into shore," he added. Treated for shock among other things, the woman was rushed to Kerry General Hospital where she remains in a stable state this week.

Otherwise, the volunteer-rescue unit expressed their delight that there had been no major mishaps on the north Kerry waters over the holiday weekend. "Thankfully it was otherwise very quiet and we would hope it would continue like that for the summer."

Last year the Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue unit were called into action upwards of 20 times, making a vital difference to many seafarers who had found themselves in difficulties for various reasons. This year too, the unit are hopeful the perennial problem of water access due to heavy traffic on the Ladies' and Mens' beaches will be a thing of the past. The weekend was busy, but we haven't yet seen a day black with beach goers. "Thankfully the new one-way system seems to be working and we would be confident of having immediate access to the water at all times,' Mr Fitzelle said.

Kerryman article here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what dates are the bachelor festival on this year?cant seem to find anything on the net.

Well, we have some unexpected results from the insights for the video of Ballybunion beach.

Europe - 10 countries
    Ireland
    UK
    Poland
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Germany
    Spain
    France
    Lithuania
    Slovakia

USA - 12 states
    New York
    New Jersey
    Illinois
    Ohio
    South Carolina
    Florida
    Texas
    Pennsylvania
    Colorado
    Arizona
    California
    Oregon

South America
    Argentina

Africa
    Sudan

Sudan? SUDAN???

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Sudan have a reputation for being something of a hellhole?

Who knew they even had internet access? qqb008.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

From http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0615/rta1.html
    Sunday, 15 June 2008 19:36
    A 6-yr-old girl has died after she was hit by a car while crossing the road at Ballybunion in north Kerry.
    The crash happened at East End, Ballybunion just before midday.
    It is understood the child was in Ballybunion for the weekend with her parents and was crossing the road with a number of other children when the crash took place.
    It is understood the girl was from Limerick city.
    Sad news:(

yes, very sad. Our thoughts & prayers are with the family at this time.

Some details from The Limerick Leader
    Limerick mum's grief for tragic Katelyn

THE heartbroken mother of the six-year old girl who died tragically in Ballybunion yesterday has today praised the heroic attempts of the emergency services who tried to save her daughter.
    Shirley Liston said her daughter Katelyn was loved by everyone in the area and cherished her visits to Ballybunion.

"I couldn't begin to tell you the amount of effort from people in Ballybunion. From the emergency services and gardai, they did everything they could to try to save her, but couldn't. All our friends and family have been fantastic," said Mrs Liston.

The young girl died as she attempted to cross the road in the East End of the Kerry seaside town at 11.55am on Sunday and was struck by an oncoming vehicle.

A number of other young children, including Katelyn's 13-year-old sister
    Laura, are believed to have witnessed the horrific accident yesterday when Katelyn was making her way across to the shop from the caravan park.

At the family home in O'Malley Park this morning, Katelyn's pink Bratz schoolbag was placed near the door, as she was due to visit Buttercup farm in Croom on a school tour tomorrow.

Limerick Leader

Kit Ahern Road (aka New Road)

looking up:
    sta41409mx2.jpg

looking down:
    sta41413fk0.jpg

The new and improved paths / one-way system

(part of) Sandhill Road. This has a new (wider) path & bollards on the left. Its also one way .... heading out of town!
    sta41410rg2.jpg

This is part of main st. From Golf Hotel / Bank of Ireland / Cissy Macs looking up town (twoards JDs / Garda station / etc)
    sta41411zf8.jpg

This is main st again, further up, at junction of Super Value and Post Office (again looking up twoards Garda stn)
    sta41412vi2.jpg

Kit Ahern Road (aka New Road)

looking up:
    sta41409mx2.jpg

looking down:
    sta41413fk0.jpg

Let me get my bearings here ...

"Looking up" is looking back towards Main Street? That's the hill to the east of Knockanore in the distance?

Let me get my bearings here ...

"Looking up" is looking back towards Main Street? That's the hill to the east of Knockanore in the distance?

looking up: Yes. Also, Sandhill road is behind me, and we are looking in general direction of Listowel / Ahafona. The new sports centre is on the left.

looking down: I am at the corner of Kit Ahern Road (by the Brambles) looking twoards Sandhill Road / Rin Bhui

• Advertisement

The new and improved paths / one-way system

(part of) Sandhill Road. This has a new (wider) path & bollards on the left. Its also one way .... heading out of town!
    sta41410rg2.jpg

:confused:

One way? So how do people come back from the golf course or cemetery?

Advertisement