Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Yes,it does get quiet in the winter months!When were you there?

8 October - 20 October

I already have it in mind to go back again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

8 October - 20 October

I already have it in mind to go back again next year.

You should have given me a shout Snow, we would have gone for a pint.

Dont forget me next year!

What did you think of the one way system & foot paths? Folk seem to have taken to them easier than anticipated.

Did ya get to see the leisure centre on Kit Ahern road? cool eh?

Ah, I love seeing "The Ballybunion Thread" in boldface when I come here!

I was in Holly's Bar one night when I was there. John and I were friends when we were kids.

The Irish do a good job marking the roads. I noticed that several times while driving around (I'd be happier if all the roundabouts had signs on them, but the sat-nav kept me out of trouble for the most part.) I developed a mantra coming back from Beale and Asdee: "Doon Road means you have to take Church Road."

One way foot paths? I don't remember seeing any of them.

I did see the leisure centre - several times. I walked past it and drove past. Maybe next year I'll get a chance to go inside and take a look around, but it does look very impressive from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

jesus this is crazy..ballyb has a sticky. wow.

anyways, hi. ive read through some of your guys conversations in this massive thread and its amazing to see people actually internest in more than the golf club or the beach to me.

oh and i was home in Ballyb last weekend and it was dead quiet no wonder i left. though to be honest the way the tourist season was last summer it wasnt much better.

i do have some videos on YouTube some of you might like and pics but mostly of the beaches/cliffs that i made for friends of mine living in the US to show to people.

Hi, Celtise, welcome to the thread.

The golf club does attract a lot of attention, doesn't it? When I got my first computer and started searching the net for Ballybunion, it seemed like 90% of everything I found was about the golf course. (Come to think of it, that's still the way it is! :D )

You were"home" in Ballyb last weekend? So you're a native of the place?

The closed shops were a little annoying. I wanted to go in the place with the gray front across the street from Shortis Bar but I guess it's closed until next spring or summer. I wonder how these people are making any money leaving businesses closed for months on end. :confused:

• Advertisement

yeah the golf club does attract the most attention. if i ever say im from ballyb to someone who doesnt know me they either mention the golf or the nightlife!

yeah a native through and through. my family still live there and i only moved away nearly 3 years ago for personal reasons but spent most of the summers since there and am down maybe once every 6/7 weeks. unfort it was so weatherly last weekend i did little and didnt even get to go down to the beach which is why i kind of went home in the first place.

well the thing is that most of the people who own those businesses normally do something else for the winter. it reallly does not make business sense to open cause running costs would be higher than income and if theres an alternative then it makes sense understandably.

oh and saw you found my YT channel. not much on their really sori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BB-Survivor

Anything exciting happening in BB over the Christmas Season?
    Years ago we used have a small parade at midnight on New Years Eve and have a bonfire at the Barrack Square. The last year the bonfire was there, it was too big and burned the insullation off the wires overhead and also left a crater on the road. We were amused easily in the 60's !!!
    Oh Youth - Where art thou ??

I wish! it will prob be as dead as a door nail there all xmas except stephens night and new years, one of which i shall be out of town for anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

That's great news about the new school. Its more than 20 years in the pipeline. I remember when the boys in the boys school were taught in rat infested chalets with no heating in the old East End complex across from the boys school because of overcrowding in the school. And that Sports and Leisure complex on the new road looks lovely. I've been past it every time I go home but I've yet to go in. My little girl will be old enough to be taken swimming soon and I may well sign us both up and go for a dip once a week. Does it have a cafe? The only event with the reputation of being worth going to over the Christmas season in Ballyb (I personally was never cool enough to go....) was the fancy dress party in The Exchange. I doubt given Chris' recent passing that it'll be on this year. The town will be duller for the lack of it. It seemed like the only bit of craic in the town all year long for people other than those whose idea of fun was breaking wing mirrors. Do the Shanahan brothers still go in drag?:D

Will Obama come for a round of golf do ye think? And did they ever get Bill's ball back to his statue? I over-heard a theory as to that ball's whereabouts recently in a town nearby. For a 70 grand statue of it's size I'd say the golf ball is worth a good 500 yoyo at least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BB-Survivor

Maybe the "Find The Ball Competition" that used to be in the Sunday Papers, should be resurrected!!!
    I heard that on the night Bill's Ball (BB) went missing a certain lady was observed in a Hotel. She had booked in under Miss Lewdinsky !!!

bahahaha i actually can't remember whether bill got his ball back.

doubt obama would come down here now, its bill territory like and they arent the best of friends!

oh i'd say the exchanges fancy dress will still be on as usual. was there last year for a bit its always packed for it and it would be more like having it in chris' memory.

oh and about the new school, if its there in time for my generations kids i'd say it would be a miracle - wouldnt hold my breath like.

Well, the ball wasn't there last month. I walked past the statue several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Mr. Clinton was wearing a Beale GAA jersey all weekend, only for the weather being so minging on Sat I'd have taken a pic to post up here. Hilarious.

I drop my little one to creche in Ballyb in the mornings and I saw Bill in his Beale jersey this morning. Excellent! Did they beat someone? I played for Beale under 12s or 14s cant remember briefly until they figured out that GAA ability isnt guaranteed in every member of a family (I had a sister who was a terrier on the pitch!) and that in fact I had two long left legs.:D

Big Splashes at the Virgin Rock

Bill in his Beale jersey this morning!:D
    album.php?aid=41439&l=07c5c&id=673804451
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jennifer/Documents/Bluetooth%20Exchange%20Folder/19-11-08_0826.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jennifer/Documents/Bluetooth%20Exchange%20Folder/19-11-08_0826.jpg[/IMG]

Bill in his Beale jersey this morning!:D
    album.php?aid=41439&l=07c5c&id=673804451
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jennifer/Documents/Bluetooth%20Exchange%20Folder/19-11-08_0826.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jennifer/Documents/Bluetooth%20Exchange%20Folder/19-11-08_0826.jpg[/IMG]

Any way to get it bigger than that, widow?

Nah! sorry, rubbish mobile fone! Im lucky it came out that well.
    Mumble mumble bloody motorola mumble!. Hubby will be taking the little one to see her nana in Cissy Macs at the weekend. I'll ask him to get it on his proper digital camera or his fone which is a lovely posh one with a really great camera in it!

Mumble mumble bloody motorola mumble!.

c008.gif

I like that! I think I'm gonna swipe it and use it myself when the occasion arises.

• Advertisement

Gosh it's quiet in here these nights. A bit like Ballyb itself I imagine. Just saw my last post and realised that I forgot to get that pic for ye. I did see him still there this morning though. Stands up and puts digital camera into handbag.... Now. We'll have a proper picture for you tomorrow night!:D

Im afraid that Beal lost that match.
    Great to see so much support around town all the same. There were green & red jersies in nearly every window. Good to see Big Bill wearing the colours too!

I think his ball was found last year (or the year before?) in Ballylongord.... around the time of the oyster festival. Good advertising, eh? I also believe it was returned to BallyB, but it hasnt been added to the statue yet. My son and I took a bauble off the Crimbo tree last year and stuck it on (chewing gum) for Bill to swing at, but it was gone the next day :-( ..... hey, maybe he hit it!!!

The only fun around town at Christmas is the Fancy Dress party in the Exchange. I have never been and intend to go this year as Kill Bill (keep eye out for guy with cowboy hat and target on his chest.....sword optional). I hope Christine will host it again this year. Chris will be missed regardless.

What bonfire on Barrick square? I didnt see any last year. There was a good bonfire on the beach this year on Halloweeen. It was still smoking 2 days later!

As promised......

URL%5D
    bealebilllb1.th.jpgNo good at getting this into this actual post so sorry for this but............
    URL%5D

URL%5D

Flip! Flip flip flippity flip! Sorry for the language but I CANNOT get the flippin image into my post! I've spent over an hour at this! I'm going to bed! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Flip! Flip flip flippity flip! Sorry for the language but I CANNOT get the flippin image into my post! I've spent over an hour at this! I'm going to bed! :mad:
    Try uploading your pics to www.photobucket.com . Copy over the IMG code to your reply then and the pic should appear in your post once you post it..
    Its easy once you get the hang of it:)

Widow, carchaeologist is right. It's easy once you know the secret. And since we're such a friendly bunch around here, we're always happy to share the secret:

Go to http://imageshack.us/

--> Browse

--> click the pic you want to share

--> Open

--> Host it!

--> Copy the URL at "Direct Link to Image"

--> Return to www.boards.ie

--> Post Reply

--> Above the main window, click the stamped yellow envelope (to the left of the globe and two Xs.) "Insert Image" will appear when you touch the yellow envelope.

--> a small window opens

--> paste the URL you copied from image shack into the window

--> OK (that gets rid of the small window)

--> Submit reply

--> stand back and admire the miraculous technology of the intrawebnet.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

^snow said it better than i ever could!!Give it a try,you'll be posting pics like mad then!!:)

Flip! Flip flip flippity flip!

ha ha ha

I know the feeling TW. My postings of pics went squiffy too. Its very annoying.

bealebillzk3.th.jpg

URL%5DURL%5D

• Advertisement

Hallelulia!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now it doesnt seem worth all that trouble now that I look at him! :rolleyes:

And thank you all for the help!

Advertisement