Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I have several, in fact hundreds of photos of Ballyb - Land, Air and Sea ones from Kerry head as far as good old Ballylongford so if anyone want them i can send some on.:o
    I think you will be popular here!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

welcome to Ballyb Rescue !

its always nice to get fresh blood in here, esp when they have photos and personal exp of Ballyb........ and doubly great when a friend in real-life joins !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

So which one of ye won the 8 million in the lotto!!??:D

it wasnt 8m it was 7.7m ...... oops, I mean, it wasnt me! :rolleyes:

Are you buying us our new boat so!!!!!:D:D:D:D

No, if you dont earn it, you wont respect it !

• Advertisement

Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue will be getting a new boat this year (with the help of God) and will be saying goodbye to the Atlantic 21 'Clara T' which has stood us in great stead, and saved many souls over the years.

Going to launch:
    sta41908ke4.jpg

In the water waiting for a wave:
    sta41909rh1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Wow! A bunch of posts since I was here last. The thread's momentum is building.

And another new kid in school! Welcome, Ballyb Rescue. With a name like that I assume we'll be hearing from you on a steady basis. You've got pictures? Well, get to posting, man!

I had Radio Kerry on yesterday morning and heard about the Lotto. I assume Dana's will be getting a lot more business in the weeks and months to come.

Love the pictures, Rider. The test of the new boat went well, I take it. I assume you used the zoom for the second one since the sky went from blue in the first one to grey in the second.

I had Radio Kerry on yesterday morning and heard about the Lotto. I assume Dana's will be getting a lot more business in the weeks and months to come.

I havnt heard who is the winner, yet. Its not me (or any of mine) I hope its a local, as apposed to someone buying a line as they pass through town on a Saturday drive. If its a local, then maybe they can improve the local economy!
    Love the pictures, Rider. The test of the new boat went well, I take it. I assume you used the zoom for the second one since the sky went from blue in the first one to grey in the second.

Thats not the new boat, Snow. Thats the ever dependant Clara T. She is getting old now (one doenst discuss a ladies age, but lets just say she is well past the age of concent) and we are hoping to have the new boat this year. Watch out for lots of pics of that boat! If anyone wants to have the boat named after them, then send a BIG cheque!

I think I did zoom in for that 2nd shot. I am working on plans to shoot a small information video on the work of the Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue unit. It will hopefully contain shots of both the D Class (small boat) and the Atlantic 21 (the boat in photos above) going through their paces in & out of local sites / cliffs, as well as a launch & recovery. I hope to use 1 boat to get good close shots of the other boat doing its thing!

Ballyb Rescue, I will talk to you about this at this Fridays meeting.

Nice pics by the way BR. Ariel shots taken from a helicopter I presume ;-)

Kerry ticket wins Lotto €7.7m

THE winners of Saturday night’s €7.7 million jackpot in Ballybunion are following in the footsteps of last month’s north Kerry ‘Monday Millions’ winners by keeping their identity well under wraps.

While speculation about the identity of the county’s latest millionaire switches daily from a passing golfer to a Ballybunion farmer, to a popular publican, a spokesperson for the National Lottery has confirmed that the multi-million euro jackpot still remains unclaimed.

Mystery continues to surround the identity of the owner of the winning €7.7m lottery ticket that was sold in Dana's Newsagents, Main Street, Ballybunion at the weekend.

More here:
    http://www.kerryman.ie/news/kerry-ticket-wins-lotto-euro77m-1608863.html

Kerry ticket wins Lotto €7.7m

Yes, the winning lotto ticket for last Sats 7.7 million prize draw was sold in our very own Dana's! The ticket was sold on the Saturday of the draw. No-one is coming forward to claim the prize (yet) and its not known around the town who has won. There are many stories (of course) going around, about a day tripper golfer, a farmer, a publican, etc ... that may have bought the ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Hey up all!

Haven't been in in a while. Busy spending my millions!! (I wish!):D
    How ye all?

Hey up all!

Haven't been in in a while. Busy spending my millions!! (I wish!):D
    How ye all?

All good here. You didnt miss much. We have a new recuit to the ranks, Ballyb Rescue, who has posted a few pics (great quality) and promises more.

How has the winter been for ya? Its been a bit wild here at times, but improving now.

Sure I'm only over the road in Ballylongmicky! Pretty much the same wet and wild winter here as in Ballyb but just without the surf coming down the chimney!!

Sure I'm only over the road in Ballylongmicky! Pretty much the same wet and wild winter here as in Ballyb but just without the surf coming down the chimney!!

sure a couple of miles is as good as being in another country some times ;-)

I heard that the 7.7m lotto win was claimed the other day. Still no solid news on who it might be. I am watching out for any new Ferrari's going down the Glen Road!!

Can I borrow a fiver Rider?:D

its mostly true .... i was in UK, looking at big boats, and did stay an extra day.... but 7mill would not go far on the boats i was looking at!

....and i still didnt win the lotto....

Widow, I would give it to you if I had it. I was looking at the petrol tank this morn on the drive to work, and trying to work out if I can get the rest of the week out of it. Still suffering after Christmas! We (my job) get paid in the middle of the month, which is good in Dec & Jan as we get paid before the 25th and then 'early' (compared to most) in Jan. But there is still a month between each salary ...

you would think I have gotten used to it by now... but no! I still suffer in the 4th week .....

anywho.... how goes it with y'all?

There was a light frost & snow in Ballyb recently. Most of (inland) Ireland is getting snow & ice regularly these last few weeks, but our sunny / mild / gulf-stream north Keery coast only gets a light overnight frost.

Not much else new here.

inspired by the recent ad's on tv for the annual return of Cadburys Creme Eggs, I decided to make my own take on the destruction of the egg .....

sta42023xd4.th.jpg

Its a pic of Bill Clintons statue outside the Garda station in Ballyb..... with an egg as the golf ball! The orig golf ball has still not been placed back on the statue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lola12

Incorrect spelling of Ballybunion damages marketing of town

The incorrect spelling of a North Kerry seaside town on road signs is making it difficult to market it as a tourist destination.
    Recently, new road signs were erected by Kerry County Council in Ballybunion which includes a second 'n' in the spelling of the town.
    A similar situation has also occurred in Asdee where road signs spell the village name with a 't'.
    Kevin O'Callaghan from Ballybunion Development Company says uniformity of spelling placenames is crucial when it comes to marketing.

Hi All on the thread, haven't been for a while & had some catching up to do, glad to see it is still going strong!! i've been back a few times myself over the past year, most recently to celebrate womens' christmas in kilcooley's. a good night had by all!

found this article on the kerry radio website.

I know Ballyb is quiet during the winter (and the spring and the autumn :D ) but not a single comment in almost three weeks?

Has Ballyb become Europe's 'Salem's Lot? e052.gif
    (That's a Stephen King reference for those of you who try to avoid the nosferatu.)

How about a couple videos to try to get some sort of reaction out of all those people who are supplying views to the thread each day?

The Nun's Strand with the tide out...

and with the tide in...

• Advertisement

Well. Did ye see me in the parade on Paddy's Day? Best day of my life in Ballyb. The atmosphere was so calm and beautiful, like September when the weather is good and the locals get the town back to themselves except there was this huge lovely mellow crowd of mostly families all sober and sane and happy in the brilliant sunshine. We came home talking about buying a place there so that we could stay weekends. #Gas, considering we live 10 mins over the road. But on Paddys day this year that was 10 mins too far!!:D

the Paddys Day parade was great this year. Weather was perfect. Clear skies all morn, and sunny (nearly hot!) afternoon. Lots of floats and trucks and craic.

I was in the parade myself, TW. Sitting pretty on a float we made that morning! Where were you?

Must say hi to all in the Leisure Centre..... they had a nice float themselves, complete with mini swimming pool and gym equipment (and water bottles acting as water pistols!)

And hi to all in the Railway Bar float! Funniest float, as usual ;-)

Small news about town.

The Leisure Centre had its Fashion Show and official opening on Fri night. It was a great night, and well attended.

The Tintean Drama Group put on '6 Of The Best' in the theatre and it seemed to go down very well.

A pic of me during a Coastguard training excersise:

img4346g.jpg

I heard there was great craic in BB on Mon night ;-) I was asleep and missed it, and spent the day at work on Tues, so I didnt get to hear about it until last night.

A crowd went wild and tore through town. They may or may not have been nakid (depending on who you listen to) and they made a mess and pulled up signs and broke stuff.

....pity I missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Small news about town.

The Leisure Centre had its Fashion Show and official opening on Fri night. It was a great night, and well attended.

The Tintean Drama Group put on '6 Of The Best' in the theatre and it seemed to go down very well.

A pic of me during a Coastguard training excersise:

img4346g.jpg

Dont we normally walk down that part of the cliff:p:D
    I heard there was great craic in BB on Mon night ;-) I was asleep and missed it, and spent the day at work on Tues, so I didnt get to hear about it until last night.

A crowd went wild and tore through town. They may or may not have been nakid (depending on who you listen to) and they made a mess and pulled up signs and broke stuff.

....pity I missed it!

I heard you and a few more were the ring leaders??:p:D

Dont we normally walk down that part of the cliff
    Walk? thats too easy ..... ha ha ha

yea, thats pic was taken at the top of the path / hill leading from the Castle Green to the Ladies Beach. We were doing an excercise and someone (not me!) wanted to take a couple of 'action' shots for the upcoming web page. The Rescue Centre in the background was a nice touch! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Let me guess....Frankie!!!!!!!!!!!

Are pictures of coast guard going on the Ballybunion Sea Rescue webpage??

yup, it was Frank! how did ya guess?

Interesting point.... I wouldnt mind if there were a few pics of Coast Guard on the BSCR site... there is a strong link there between the two... the CG logo is even on the building! But we (in BSCR) are often told to keep the 2 units seperate and not confuse people.

I guess we will have to have a committee meeting to decide ...... and then we flip a coin ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

What’s Ballybunion like for a night out? Thinking of going back there the May bank holiday for the night? Anybody recommend places to stay and good bars to go too. About 12 of us going back, mixture of couples and singles in or mid 20's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

What’s Ballybunion like for a night out? Thinking of going back there the May bank holiday for the a night? Anybody recommend places to stay and good bars to go too. About 12 of us going back, mixture of couples and singles in our mid 20's...

Advertisement