Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Pharrell wrote: »
    What’s Ballybunion like for a night out? Thinking of going back there the May bank holiday for the night? Anybody recommend places to stay and good bars to go too. About 12 of us going back, mixture of couples and singles in or mid 20's...

BAllybunion rocks....in the summer. Great place to go out.

For good pubs there is Mickey Joes (irish american), across from that is the Exchange (great one). Down another bit is JDs - legendary pub famous all around, was once a biker bar. Thats the local night club....the better on!! There are loads of pubs but they are the best imo being the same age group as yourself.

Wonderful food by award winning chef in Kilcoolys, across from Garda station

Lots of places to stay B&B wise. The 19th Green and The tides are two i'd recommend and would be able to cater for a group of 12. Would advise booking soon.

Anything else i can do for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I agree with all of the above.

Best way to pick a club is to stand outside the pub you are drinking in (on a hot long summer night) and look up and down the street and see where the queue is .... it all happens on the 1 street!

As for B&B's ... there are many good ones, and quite a few of the pubs have accomodation too (Timmy Joes, Badger, Courtneys)

whats the story with the golf hotel? is it open? I hear it has a new manager......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

A pic of me during a Coastguard training excersise:

img4346g.jpg

That's you, Rider? I might have been looking at you last October. I had been walking on the beach by the Black Rocks and on my way back I stopped for a litttle while to watch all you guys in the orange suits doing your training rappelling down the cliff.

There's a new Ballybunion webpage:

http://www.mytown.ie/town92,ballybunion.html

It gives the current weather, some news headlines, a gallery (that currently has only two pics) and they even have a Ballybunion forum! It currently has no posts: http://www.mytown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

So we have a little competition -- not much competition: 90,000 views to roughly nil views. Still, it's nice to have another board around.

hi Snow..... yup, that prob was me amongst the the orange pack! I rarely miss a training excersise. Feel free to come up and say hi next time you pass, we are a friendly lot and love to talk about our 'hobby' ....

thx for the info on the new Ballyb site... i will take a look :-)

maybe there are no posts on mytown.ie because folk cant sign on!

I registered, and then cant get it! It wont recognise my password and wont mail me a new one either ..... bloody newcommers! gimmie Boards anyday !!! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

I took this photograph about 2 hours ago as preparations were under way for the big weekend. Hopefully, one of our members of the Sea and Cliff Rescue will post some pictures of the actual displays.
    BTW We are experiencing horrendously windy conditions in Kerry at the moment so, hopefully, there will be no call for a real rescue mission.

Well, the weekend is over and JSAR 09 is done and dusted.

Thankfully, Saturday (and Sun!) were cracking days, weather wise! We thought there would be trouble, as there was some wild wind / rain / and hail (!!!) in the very early hours of Sat morn, but by 7am is was all gone, and the sun split the stones all day..... fantastic!

there was a great atmosphere around town, as the various markets and displays and exhibitions really added to the day. With lots of Coastguard (and Coast Guard .... will come back to that spelling later) going around the town in their high viz jackets, and colourfull jeeps and ambulance's, there was lots to see and the teams were more than happy to talk to any & all that showed an interest.

there were lots of events around town, and 3 out in Ballyloughran and Ferry Bridge. So there was something going on all day from 8am to 6pm !!

In Northern Ireland and the UK, they are Coastguards.
    In the Republic, they are Coast Guards.
    .... wierd eh?

There was also a portable pool from the Irish Underwater Council (set up in the Community Centre, who were fab and verry accomodating for whole event) where folk could come along and try out some scuba-diving ! Pitty I didnt get to go along myself....

The winners were:
    Overall Best Team: Valentia 2
    Best Divisional Team: Dublin 1
    Best Inter-Div Team: Inter 4
    Leadership trophy: Laurence Greene (Dublin Div)

congrats to all ..... .and the best of luck to Donegal for 2010 !! I will be there, as a compeditor this time, and looking forward to be pampered and chaufered around !!

Pharrell wrote: »
    What’s Ballybunion like for a night out? Thinking of going back there the May bank holiday for the a night? Anybody recommend places to stay and good bars to go too. About 12 of us going back, mixture of couples and singles in our mid 20's...

did you come to Bally'b Pharrell? Did y'all have a good time? Just to give an independant opinion, what was the best bar / club in your opinion? Any good / bad points?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

hey all.

jeez been awhile since i was here but thought of it today on the six hours trip back from Ballyb, hadnt been down in so long (2 months) it was weird. Place was busy over the weekend, they were out the door of the exchange which is always a lovely sight.

might be heading down in a few weeks though for that coastal rock festival, heard a few my favourite bands are playing and for free too but haven't heard anything concrete to merit the time and cost for the trip, anyone able to help?

:eek:
    What's going on? It's only 19 degrees in the Bronx!
    75inballybunion.jpg

• Advertisement

:eek:
    What's going on? It's only 19 degrees in the Bronx!

yea.....it sure is hot here. 5 days of mid 20's in a row! I sure hope this isnt our entire allotment of sunshine for the summer! ha ha

It has been great though. Lots of folk around town. Pubs are jumping. Parking is mental. Beach is (nearly) full. And some great lookin' women around! I think they are all solar powered .... when the sun comes out, so do they!

Whats happening with you Snow? Long time no see. You been busy? Will you be over at all during the summer? Gimmie a shout if you are and I will buy you a pint.

How ya doin', Rider? Or, to put it in Kerryese: How's Rider?

All fairly quiet over here. Lots of showers. It's like Irish weather here. I had pretty much made up my mind to skip Ireland this year and go over next year for sure. Then today I checked my email and found this. :eek:

I'll probably still pass, but that email has put temptation in the pit of my stomach and in the marrow of my bones: getting a pound of Denny's sausages at SuperValu each morning, walking up the Coast Road with the sun shining on my back, the smell of cow sh--... manure and turf smoke on the breeze. God, I am tempted!

aerlingusshannon.jpg

those prices are pretty good, Snow. Tempting !!
    But dont come over just on my account, but do let me know if you do decide to come.

Weather in BB is '12 deg c and cloudy' ... cool and miserable! Gone are the mid 20's and sun & t-shirts & shorts! Hopefully they will be back soon.

The Badgers pub is open for business again. He had a leak a coupe of months ago and all floors were damaged. So, a nice new kit-out and he is ready for business again!

Marios has opened a new takeaway. Its beside Zapps (opposite the souviner shop / Danas) . I think there was a take-away there a few years ago, but it was unused for ages. Anyway, the chips are great there now, and there is no problem with a take-away licence like the prev Marios! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bbfishy

Thuoght you might be interested to see this poster for Ballybunion 26 & 27th June

bbfishy wrote: »
    Thuoght you might be interested to see this poster for Ballybunion 26 & 27th June

wow! the Blizzards & the Coronas! count me in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

If someone can put the image up properally that would be great.

This should be a great weekend in BallyB. The Coronas play on friday June 26th followed by the Blizzards on June 27th.

EDIT: got beaten to it 2 posts ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

coastalrocks.jpg

So I was over at YouTube to see if anyone put up any videos of Ballybunion and I found this one. Looks like some Polish guys having fun jumping off The Devil's Chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

coastalrocks.jpg

Thanking You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenkartoo

This is gonna be the biggest weekends Ballybunion has ever seen.

Friday 26th June 7.00PM
    Main stage supervalue car park :THE CORONAS support act Hogan

Saturday 27th June 7.00PM
    Main Stage Supervalue car park : THE BLIZZARDS support act Scubadice

These are free concerts hosted by the people of Ballybunion Co.Kerry

Everybody welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

This is gonna be feckkin awesome. Anyone tell me what bar exemption until 2AM mean? Us youngins are allowed in until 2AM or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I assume it means all the bars can serve till 2 am, could be a messy affair! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenkartoo

All bars in the town will be open until 2am ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

Hi everyone!!
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue are having our annual Golf Classic on Saturday the 4th of July. The cost is €270 per team. You can also sponser a tee or green for €100 each.

This vital service (which was once again called into service tonight, see www.ballybunionrescue.bebo.com blog for details) needs the communitys support. We received no government funding and need events like this to raise the units operating costs, which amount to approx €30,000:eek:.

This year we are purchasing a new boat costing €150,000. Your community needs you!!! Please support!!

To book a tee or green call our Public Relations Officer, Omar on 087 9027111 or email ballybunionrescue@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

attachment.php?attachmentid=83812&d=1246207240what a night!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

Best concert I've been to in ages
    3674425265_1111c9eb5c.jpg

3680480738_e574191005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hotfire

Hi, my parents have a place in Ballybunion and they spend almost 6 months of the year there every year. Its a great place. Its still the same as it was in the 80's. The amusements, shops and old pubs are still all the same. There are a few new places to eat and things to do. They have a new leisure centre there and a new theatre. I spent every summer of my childhood in Ballybunion and it hasnt changed at all since then...

I was in Ballybunion 20 years ago and have happy memories of the village.

I'd love to hear what it's like today and how much it has changed.

The only recent picture I've seen on the world wide interweb is this:

Hi, hotfire, welcome to the thread. I hope you'll be a regular around here. There's plenty of good reading and lots of photos and videos to keep you entertained.

You showed up just in time for a big milestone. We average about 130 views per day so we should be hitting 100,000 views about August 1st or so. Not bad for a little village of 1300 or so (according to Wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hotfire

Thanks snow scorpion. Will try to keep an eye on this thread. Was in Ballybunion last Friday night. The usual great crowd there. 100,000 hits, not bad, impressive.

I keep hearing about the Search and Rescue demonstrations too late. Would love to see one. If you hear in advance of an upcoming one could you please let me know. My parents ring me from the beach when it is happening and I know by the time I travel down it will be over as i have to travel from Co Limerick.
    Hi, hotfire, welcome to the thread. I hope you'll be a regular around here. There's plenty of good reading and lots of photos and videos to keep you entertained.

You showed up just in time for a big milestone. We average about 130 views per day so we should be hitting 100,000 views about August 1st or so. Not bad for a little village of 1300 or so (according to Wikipedia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

hotfire wrote: »

I keep hearing about the Search and Rescue demonstrations too late. Would love to see one. If you hear in advance of an upcoming one could you please let me know. My parents ring me from the beach when it is happening and I know by the time I travel down it will be over as i have to travel from Co Limerick.

Hi there,
    We train every Sunday at 2pm and Tuesdays at 7pm. Last Friday was not a dwmonstration as such, it was a training exercise with the Shannon based rescue helicopter. The Heli crew regularly train with us as they msut complete a certain number of winches etc every month. So a quick phone call to us and their down it clock up the winches!!!

This Sunday we are having Chernoble kids down to go for a spin in the boat. Have done this for a few years now and its a great event for them as most have never seen water. Expecting the Heli to be down

If you want to have a look around ask for Omar, our Public Relations Officer or any of the lads will in fact show you the station

Advertisement