Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    I notice that the webcam (Ladie's beach) on visitballybunion.com now requires a password. What a pity.

Yes, I noticed on Friday that it was not working. I will ask around and see what the story is .... watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Thairish

My greatest childhood memories are on the sands of Ballybunion.I was born and grew up in the British midlands,but luckly for us our mother was from near Lisselton cross and every summer in the '70's,it was the only place we wanted to be.I'd boast of it to my school friends as if describing heaven on earth.

I've lived far away in Thailand now for many years,I really enjoyed the photos of Ballybunion.I'll take my sons there one day.

Why does alcohol seem to ruin everything these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

because they dont know the word enough, but tis a class spot all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Any fancy dress parties in Ballyb this weekend? I'm just itching for a chance to deck the hubby out in drag!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Did you know...

... there's a Ballybunion Road in Co. Down?

:eek:
    A large quantity of illegal fireworks have been seized by police after a planned search of house in County Down.

Three thousand rocket-type fireworks were discovered in the Ballybunion Road area of Castlewellan at about 1500 GMT on Wednesday.

Four thousand six hundred bangers were also confiscated.

Police said their investigations into the seizure were continuing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8331108.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Yes, I noticed on Friday that it was not working. I will ask around and see what the story is .... watch this space.

I miss the webcam too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

and there is a "Ballybunion golf driving range" outside Long Grove north of Chicago.

I miss the webcam too.

The new address doesn't work for you?

Which new address, Snow?
    I cannot see any reference anywhere to a new address. I am trying visitballybunion.com and getting an error message saying "access denied".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

I agree.
    It's a pity.
    Can this be changed back?
    I miss the webcam too.

High folks, the web camera was put up on the Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue building for our up coming website which will hopefully be launched soon. It was never intended to be put up onto another website nor should it have been. Hense it has been removed until our next committe meeting.

Our website should be up before xmas (so ye can all see our swim on xmas day!!) and it will be a big part of it.
    Which new address, Snow?
    I cannot see any reference anywhere to a new address. I am trying visitballybunion.com and getting an error message saying "access denied".

The direct address was posted up but has since been removed due to some risks to the camera system including hacking and overloading the camera (25 people or more will do this on the direct address)

So if people took it down I would ask you not to give it out. If the system slows etc we'll have to change the password.

Thanks and hope ye dont mind the wait,
    Omar
    Public Relations Officer
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, Omar.

I look forward to the new website and the return of the cam.

...(Ballyb LC pool is lovely to look at but GLACIAL to swim in!) ...

I just had a swim in the Ballyb Leisure Center pool at the weekend, and it was noticably warmer. I asked the staff afterwards, and they said that the pool temp was raised recently (to 29 degrees). Also, they will be opening earlier (7.30am) from 23-Nov. So... good news for earlier risers!

So maybe we will see you there more often TW? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

Hope ye all enjoy these. They were put together quickly but we (RiderOn The Storm, Myself and another member) are planning many more videos.

If you have a youtube account a rating or comment would be great. Thanks!!

good watching ty for the clips, its great coming on here reading the stuff about bally,

I look forward to the new site also:)

All right, everybody, put on your running shoes.

http://www.runballybunion.com/index.htm

All right, everybody, put on your running shoes...

ha ha ... I came on here to Boards to post that very link !

that site just went online last night, there was an official launch and everything. You are really on the ball, Snow!

My wife and I have regestered for the 10k walk .... but I dont see that route on the site, just the half-marathon.

You are really on the ball, Snow!

Carrying the title of "Starter of the longest Ballybunion thread on the entire interweb" is awesome responsibility, but I seem to be up to the task. c008.gif

I'm wondering if I could get in half-marathon shape by the beginning of April. Probably not. January and February in the Bronx --- not the time and place to be training for long-distance running.

Still, I'm probably going to try anyway.

But look how it starts -- up the Doon Road! :eek: A half-marathon and the entire first mile is uphill!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I just had a swim in the Ballyb Leisure Center pool at the weekend, and it was noticably warmer. ......
    So maybe we will see you there more often TW? ;-)

Yes Rider. This warmer pool development coupled with a few others means that Mr Targetwidow Mrs Targetwidow and little baby Targetwidow will be attending Ballyb pool on a regular basis from now on. Thanks for the news!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 richie_d

I`m new to boards.ie and have just come across www.runballybunion.com
    can anyone tell me if I will be able to get a game of golf in Ballybunion at that time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

with the contacts on here, i doubt it will be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 richie_d

I made some calls to a friend and have arranged golf on Good Friday! He tells me that the half marathon route scenery is probably BallyB's best kept secret. From memory the scenery back that way is great and the website (which is pretty slick) doesn't hide that.

The word in BallyB seems to be that the 10k route will also go up Doon road,past Doon church and do a shorter circuit going around by Trippol?....also told that it might be nearer 11k than 10k to get back to the finishing line....so I guess thats great value.....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Hey y'all

I mentioned recently that I have now moved back to Ballyb for good with my partner and my 10yr old son. We are starting up a photography business doing Weddings, Portraits and selling PhotoArt Landscape canvasses.

Here is a selection of some of our work. Most are for sale, but please feel free just to have a browse through.

I hope you like them.
    Asdee Races 2009 We managed to get fairly close to the horses.
    Ballybunion Golf Shots Not the run of the mill shots.
    Ireland These are not all of Ballybunion, but more than 50% are.
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue The crew kindly took us out in the boat on a training exercise and let us snap away. All the shots were given to them to use on their website if they want them.

Thanks for looking.

Some more info on the race in April:
    The inaugural Ballybunion Half Marathon and 10K was launched on November 19th. Set amid the spectacular scenery of County Kerry, the event will take place on April 3rd 2010 (Easter Saturday) and promises to be a wonderful experience for all participants. The organisers will run the event to professional standards, with
    • chip timing on the half marathon course,
    • commemorative T shirts for all participants,
    • and medals for all half marathon finishers.

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-04-03/ballybunion-half-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

A90Six wrote: »
    Asdee Races 2009 We managed to get fairly close to the horses.
    Ballybunion Golf Shots Not the run of the mill shots.
    Ireland These are not all of Ballybunion, but more than 50% are.
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue

Howya A90Six,

I've only looked at the "Ireland" shots so far, and they are brilliant. Well done, I'm looking forward to looking at the rest.

Have a great Christmas in Ballyb,

kesey

kesey wrote: »
    Howya A90Six,

I've only looked at the "Ireland" shots so far, and they are brilliant. Well done, I'm looking forward to looking at the rest.

Have a great Christmas in Ballyb,

kesey

Hi kesey,

thanks for taking a look.

You have a good one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frank165

Hello all, just stumbled across the thread, great to see that there is such interest in the town. Theres a book coming out on the town next year so if you have any stories new or old, history, places of interest, anecdotes or photos of the area you think might be interesting please send them in. All proceeds are going towards a new Youth Cafe for local teenagers. So if you'd like to see your story or photos in print & help a good cause this Christmas please email them to ballybmag@yahoo.com by the end of January.
    Cheers

I hope this dose not offend its not intended to but its a true story,

I cant remember the name of the pub we were in as I was in them all and full to the gills,

but this was in the morning and the toilet was close enough to the bar that we could hear the fella in it grunting and groaning and pushing hard,

to be fair doing his best,

then a farmer type guy came in ordered a drink and was pacing up nd down,

we could still hear your man in the bog when this fella now he was big, went up and kicked the door and say will arou get out and let a man in that can shiite,

well we fell on the floor with the laff, needless to say there was no more sound from your man.

Somebody noticed!

• Advertisement

Somebody noticed!

I remember reading somewhere that it's the only life size statue of Clinton in the entire world.

Advertisement