Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird2010

Jedward are here on Aug 14th , as part of the Atlantic Sessions.
    For tickets call DestinationBallybunion.ie at 068 27111

Thanks RiderOnTheStorm.

What time are they playing, a night or day concert? Hoping to bring the small ones to it.

Also where in ballyb there playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thanks RiderOnTheStorm.

What time are they playing, a night or day concert? Hoping to bring the small ones to it.

Also where in ballyb there playing?

from the DiscoverIreland.ie site:
    Atlantic Session presents Jedward on the 14th supported by X-Factor’s Lloyd Daniels & others. (Tickets €25 Gates open at 3pm. Show 5pm). Minors must be accompanied by an adult. Also included in the schedule will be performances by some of the major Irish performers including The High Kings, Brendan Grace & Michael Ó Súilleabháin. It will also endorse the Irish Culture by hosting Céilí dances nightly and by showcasing various musicians in local hostelries daily as previous generations have done ... the Atlantic Sessions goes on over a few days, so I dont think all these will be on at the same day.

This will be in a marquee erected near the beach. I think that means in the open area (car-park) near the Golf Hotel, I may be wrong.
    Also, I heard that Jedward were trying to break some record for the greatest number of twins / triplets / etc in the same place. Should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frank165

The Ballybunion Bachelor Festival is back, great craic last night, heres a link to a vid of the bachelor & bartenders race down Mian Street.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lElphUJBJg

thx Frank... I forgot / missed the Bachelor Festival this year. It hasnt been held for a couple of years, and I heard it was back, but there wasnt much interest from bachelors applying for the competition.

But it did go ahead.... and the results are:

Winning Kerry bachelor was Jerry Carmody from Ballylongford and Ballybunion bachelor was Philip Julian! Well done guys ! Winner of glamorous gran was Jackie Mannix and Bonny Baby was won by Chloe o Brien from Doon in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Beautiful evening for a walk on the mens beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Dont give Ballybunion such bad press :mad:

Having been there very recently and spent the last 2 summers there I'm shocked that people say there is an element from limerick there! I have found the place to be very quiet and even bank holiday weekends there seem to be even more quiet! there is some lovely pubs there with live music - the best fish n chips ive ever tasted !
    the beaches are fabulous and are swept every morning - there's bins along the beach and ok the toilets are not the best but ud expect that anywhere ! go easy

there hasnt been bad words said about Ballyb here in a long time.

When the popuation of 1500 (in winter) swells to about 8000 in summer, there is bound to be more of everything (good & bad). Buts its the new life in summer that I love about Ballyb . There is life & craic & a snap about town. There is always a very small few who will go to far, but thats normal.

Thx to everyone who is a regular visitor to our fair town, and I hope you always see its good side.

Weather here has been great this weekend, and I managed to get in a very nice swim over by the Nuns strand yesterday. Water was warm! *gasp*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I really like Ballybunion! It's good craic in summer, especially if the weather is good! The nightlife us great and it has a pleasant seaside resort atmosphere.

Conor30 wrote: »
    I really like Ballybunion! It's good craic in summer, especially if the weather is good! The nightlife us great and it has a pleasant seaside resort atmosphere.

thx Conor .... we like it :-)

Here is issue 20 of the weekly newsletter
    http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2020%20July%2022nd%202011.pdf

• Advertisement

For anyone interested in whats going on in the town & what there is to do, might be worth checking outhttp://www.destinationballybunion.ie/category/things-to-do-in-ballybunion/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

Does anybody know if there is an apartment or caravan free to rent in Green Valley from 20th Aug for about 4/5 nights?

I was just doing a little accounting: the thread has averaged 119 views a day for the last two months.

At that pace we'll get to 200,000 views on 28 January.

I am sure we will make 200k before then Snow .... there will be a rush at Crimbo, just like every year ;-)

Also, a BIG THANK YOU to all the Kerry folk (and non-Kerry folk!) that supported the Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue boat push the other weekend. We pushed one of our boats (a small one on a trailer) from Tralee to Farranfore. We intended to go to Killarney, but traffic was very bad (Irish Open on that weekend, and Rory was playing!) so we didnt want to obstruct it more on the last few miles , which were very windy.

We made a good bit of money, enough to keep the bankers from the door for a few months. Our next boat push is from Abbyfeale to Ballyb, on Sept 17th (the weekend of the Listowel Races). This will be the last ever boat push, as permits will no longer be possible for on the road collections. We will have to do something different in 2012. So if you see us (you cant miss us) , please dig deep , its a very worthy cause, and evne if you never swim in Ballyb (or any of your friends never swim there), we often go to searches for missing kids & elderly, first aid cover of races, injured golfers, fishermen & sailors in difficulty, depressed teenagers, medical emergencies on the beach, etc. There is a lot more to Sea Rescue than the sea. Thanks :-)

They've started putting up the Stage for Jedward on the Old Castle hotel sight. Should be great fun, beach, castle, cliffs & Atlantic should make an interesting backdrop for the concert. Going to be a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

On Monday Aug 29 at 8.00p.m. in The Seanchaí, Listowel a public meeting will be held with a view to setting up the Reaching Out heritage tourism initiative in North Kerry. Everyone welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jamescull1

Is Monday night madness still going on??

So where exactly is the sea stack? (That shot at 15 seconds in looks like the Nun's Strand.)

Your right, its just off the Nuns beach the last one on your right as your looking out from the Nuns. Its got an arch, you can swim right through it & walk out to it at low tide.

Frank165 wrote: »
    Your right, its just off the Nuns beach the last one on your right as your looking out from the Nuns. Its got an arch, you can swim right through it & walk out to it at low tide.

You mean this things?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15268087@N05/6127547353/in/photostream

• Advertisement

Frank165 wrote: »

You mean this things?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15268087@N05/6127547353/in/photostream

Thats the one, you can jump off the top of it aswell, havent done it though. Dont think anyone has ever climbed the virgin rock, the one on the left. The rock furthest out beyond the stacks is called daniels rock. Would love to know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

I have always assumed that Daniel's Rock was named by the nun's after Daniel in the lion's den, mainly because there is no name given to the rock in any maps that I have found and also that the name is English and not Carraig na Donagh or some such. The nuns gave names to other rocks there such as the Virgin Rock (Carraig na Faoileáin - Rock of the Gulls) and The Devil's Chair, but not The Devil's Castle north of Doon Bay. There is a cave halfway down the cliff on the other side of the Nun's Strand once known as Poul Donagh MacSheehy, so perhaps there is a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BooBoomummy

Having seen the traveller king of munster mentioned in the thread went to look it up on the web and could not find any mention of it. Anyone have anymore info about it.

Never heard of it either, lived here all my life. Any crime in Ballybunion tends to make the papers as they are pretty rare. The populations only 1500 or so in winter so nothing at all then usually as everyone knows each other. Summer population could swell to as much as 10,000 on a good bank holiday weekend. Winter or summer I'd say you'd struggle to find a place a place with less crime, something might make the local papers every 5 years or so, never had a murder & never had a mugging as far as I know, couldn't find any on google either.

People swinging knives at each other down the beach, never happened. I'd say the story is getting mixed up with a fight that happened on the Cashen strand, about two miles south of town. There was huge fight there, 2 centuries ago. If you google Faction Fight Ballybunion, you'll find a few bits on it . It was pretty big, the Listowel races used to be the Ballybunion races, they moved it there as Ballybunion & Ballyduff liked to have a little debate after the races!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BooBoomummy

I hope people on this board do not object to my dedicating a short message to a local Character Sean Hannafin who died last week. He was the son of Jeremiah Hannafin and Maureen Clarke. Maureen was the daughter of entrepeneur and turf accountant james Clarke who owned many properties in Ballybunion such as Kilcooleys and built clarkes lodges in Sandhill road for his family. Sean lived in one of these untill five years ago when he moved to tralee. He was a cousin to me and such a loveable character who helped me such alot with local knowledge and family history. He will be greatly missed by all who loved him.

A month without a new post?!? :eek:

A show from RTE about the River Feale. Ballybunion shows up at about the 21 minute mark.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1118552

Rider....

smiley3Drun.gif

c011.gif

yup, Rider did the Dublin City Marathon. I will train more next time! I did get a foot injury on mile 2 but kept going. Had to walk @ mile 20, but managed to get going again @ 24. Foot was black & blue next day. Its still not right.

But I finished in 5hrs & 5min. Will do it in 4hrs next time ;-)

The only Ballyb news I know about is the lighting of the Christmas lights on Dec 10th. I think there will be a bit of a do on the beach also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Great effort! I completed my first marathon there too, just a few minutes ahead of you. I trained with the Kerry Crusaders in Listowel, and to be honest without their help I wouldn't have got round.

If you fancy joining us, we meet every Monday and Wednesday evening at 8pm, and Saturday mornings at 8am - always in car park next to the community centre. Its a mixed group of abilities, goals and distances.

Advertisement