Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

ballybunion3dq.jpg

Maybe AERO our Rep in Hong Kong could tell us. Also if this image is of The 9Daughters Hole ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Aero

ballybunion3dq.jpg

Maybe AERO our Rep in Hong Kong could tell us. Also if this image is of The 9Daughters Hole ?

Hi all....no this is not the 9DH. As I remember it, the 9DH is further along the walkway towards the old convent direction. The 9DH is a circular opening extending vertically down to the sea surface rather than the inlet shown in this photo.

Thanks AERO>

To all out there check www.oldirishimages.com for good early photos of Ballyb and Listowel.

SNOWSCORPION: DOON CHURCH is there !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Last time I was in Kerry there was some big to-do about the monorail. I forget what it was all about. One of the farmers from near the Franics Road, a man named Boscoe, was involved. I think maybe someone found some remains of the rails on Boscoe's land.

At any rate, the rail ran along the south side of the Listowel Road.

Aero wrote:
    Hi all....no this is not the 9DH. As I remember it, the 9DH is further along the walkway towards the old convent direction. The 9DH is a circular opening extending vertically down to the sea surface rather than the inlet shown in this photo.

That's right. The Nine Daughters' Hole has (or I should say "had" -- or maybe still has) about a half dozen concentric paths around the edge of the hole. (You know the kind I mean? Thin dirt cowpaths) And it really is an actual hole ... I forget now, maybe 70 feet across.

When a big storm comes in and hits the coast, the hole must look like a giant whale's blowhole with the mist shooting up out of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks AERO>

To all out there check www.oldirishimages.com for good early photos of Ballyb and Listowel.

SNOWSCORPION: DOON CHURCH is there !:D

I only vaguely remember Doon Church. A white building on the left as you walk north on Doon Road, set back a distance from the road.

Aw, you're in Hong Kong. That sound you hear is my hopes being dashed upon the jagged rocks of reality. When I saw Ballybunion was your hometown I thought our small group of regulars here had found a connection for a constant stream of pictures.

Oh, well. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Welcome to the thread. It's good to see our little family continuing to grow.

Funny old thing...even after all these years I still consider BallyB to be my "hometown". As for a constant stream of pictures - I'm sure between us all we could probably keep up this pace for years! Thankfully I still have family living in the town (one with a digital camera!) and they can cross-check any details I can't remember myself. So - looking forward to adding my two cents worth from time to time!

Aero wrote:
    Thankfully I still have family living in the town (one with a digital camera!) and they can cross-check any details I can't remember myself. So - looking forward to adding my two cents worth from time to time!

Kieran, you're worth your weight in gold.

.**********************************
    SNOWSCORPION,
    No it is not Ahafona.
    It is the other end of Main Street.
    this is a great photo.When was it taken?
    On the left is the house next door( on the right side )to J.J.O'Carrolls( earlier photo) on the right side of the road is the wall of the Castle Hotel property.
    Walk down the street and at the last light/telephone pole you would take the right fork to the beach and Castle Green, the left fork goes to SandHill Road.?

I think this is one of my pics. It was taken outside JJ O'Carroll's shop looking down towards the Sandhill Road direction. The red coloured house on the left is the Anchorage guest house and the Castle Hotel used to stand behind the white wall on the right. There you go...

alfa, is this the caravan park on the north side of Main Street or the one between the Listowel Road and the upper road?

The photo is of the Marconi Caravan Park, owned by JJ O'Carroll and located behind JJ's house / shop (now closed) at Lower Main Street. Here is another view...

8284770_6c94f66857_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Two images of the Central / Ambassador / Golf Hotel

8708924_284069b3b5_o.jpg

8708914_6b7462daa9_o.jpg

This is a view of the back of the Castle Hotel...

8708907_bd237be781_o.jpg

A view of Boyle's car park from the roof of the Castle Hotel...(I managed to get up there when the Head Porter thought I was working in the kitchen!) By the way....notice the "Frank's Snaps" photo booth just inside the gate of the car park on the left. Also, the small car park control hut along the right hand wall of the car park. Spent many a happy hour there chatting with my cousin who was the car park attendant. (We were really just watching the girls go by...!)

8712748_19c4299b68_o.jpg

8712777_fac5041a6e_o.jpg

8712915_63487b14ce_o.jpg

Aero wrote:
    8712915_63487b14ce_o.jpg
    We lived opposite the old club house.
    Do you remember the elderly couple that had a candy store just at the entrance to the old club house?

Do you read www.kerryseye.com ?
    See death notices of Sandhill road man, Tim Sweeney.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

ballybunion3dq.jpg

See the fence now on the right? Well if you follow that around, the 9DH would be just out of shot. The hole is now surrounded by the same fencing to keep people away from the edge.

We lived opposite the old club house.
    Do you remember the elderly couple that had a candy store just at the entrance to the old club house?

Do you read www.kerryseye.com ?
    See death notices of Sandhill road man, Tim Sweeney.

Must confess I don't remember the candy store or the old couple. I used to caddy on the odd occasion so spent most of my time hanging around outside looking for a job. I don't think I was ever in the club house!

Re Tim Sweeney....my sister informed me via e-mail yesterday. So sad. I remember admiring how Tim (RIP) and Billy used to do handbrake turns with cars in Boyle's car park. Very impressive to my young eyes. I tried to do the same with my bicycle! Ruined so may wheels! May Tim rest in peace in the great speedway in the sky...

8868657_68048e3253_o.jpg

Anyone remember playing soccer on the beach in front of Dalys during the late 60s - early 70s? My generation (Joe Diggin, Joe Tracey, Maurice Mulvihill, Dods Liston, Bomber Liston et al) seemed to spend a lot of winter evenings chasing a soccer ball around the white sand area in front of Dalys. The cliff face made an excellent block for the ball in one direction...unfortunately if the "goalie" didn't catch the ball in the other direction, he had a long walk across the "Ladies beach" to collect the object and re-start the game...

8708860_6542339aaa_o.jpg

This is NOT a picture of the Ballybunion Pipe Band. However, in spite of playing in the band (as a drummer) for a good number of years, I don't have one photo of the various combinations of players. During my time in the band, Milie (spelling?) Costello was Pipe Major. Anyone have pictures of the band(s) from this era? (Say 1965 to 1972.)

• Advertisement

A90Six wrote:
    I have an almost exact copy of this pic on a postcard somewhere, but it's from 1916. I'll have to have a hunt round and scan it.
    Front,
    ballyb19168gy.jpg

and reverse.
    ballyb1916rev4dg.jpg

I was looking at the old postcard and at the lack of a large hotel where the Golf now sits. I blew up the piece behind where it should be, and Hey Presto! You can see where the lartigue stopped in Ballyb.
    lartiguebu7fa.jpg

You can match the roof windows to the ones in this pic,
    lartigue7008li.jpg

A90's pic:
    spicladiesstrand0ti.jpg

alfa's pic:
    IMAG0065.jpg

alfa took his pic just a little ways up the road from where A90 took his pic, right? Alfa took his pic at the corner of that small street that's just north of the church. Or am I confused? (As I usually am. :p )

alfa took his pic just a little ways up the road from where A90 took his pic, right? Alfa took his pic at the corner of that small street that's just north of the church. Or am I confused? (As I usually am. :p )
    Your'e right. The Cliff House Hotel was or is next door to Bernie's (Bernie Callahan's, I think). alfa would have had his back to the wall of what was the doctor's house.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow scorpion
    alfa took his pic just a little ways up the road from where A90 took his pic, right? Alfa took his pic at the corner of that small street that's just north of the church. Or am I confused? (As I usually am. )
    As AERO says you are right.
    The white house on the right of ALFA'S was called Salmon Lodge, supposed to be one of the oldest houses in Ballyb.
    On the ocean side of that house is a steep cliff and a lane that goes down to Collins Seaweed Baths.

In A90's Bartlett Print you can see the end of that lane as it reaches the strand

AERO;
    Does the road from Church Rd to Cliff House have a name. I remember a Mr. Dalton lived there

A90Six wrote:
    I was looking at the old postcard and at the lack of a large hotel where the Golf now sits. I blew up the piece behind where it should be, and Hey Presto! You can see where the lartigue stopped in Ballyb.
    lartiguebu7fa.jpg

You can match the roof windows to the ones in this pic,
    lartigue7008li.jpg
    The attached photo I think is Ballyb. See the skylights in the houses.

www.monorails.org/ tMspages/Listowel.html

Go to LINKS for Lartigue Monorailway info

AERO;
    Does the road from Church Rd to Cliff House have a name. I remember a Mr. Dalton lived there

And wasn't there a pub just to the left of the Cliff House - the front was painted white last time I saw it. Or was the pub part of the Cliff House?

• Advertisement

SS: you missed it
    And wasn't there a pub just to the left of the Cliff House - the front was painted white last time I saw it. Or was the pub part of the Cliff House?

A couple of posts up
    A90Six wrote:
    Your'e right. The Cliff House Hotel was or is next door to Bernie's (Bernie Callahan's, I think). alfa would have had his back to the wall of what was the doctor's house.

Advertisement