Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

ejmaztec wrote: »

Looking at the position of the hole and the Nun's Strand, I'd say Rider is right. There could be sand down there when the tide is out far enough.

All these years I've imagined waves smashing against rocks at the bottom of the hole.

I imagine it would be safe to send a drone down there at low tide to have a look around. Send a drone down there at high tide and the updrafts would "make sh!t of it" as my mother used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

I'm finding it impossible to believe that that picture is of the nine daughters hole.

look at the shape of the opening on my pics below. Left picture is of the "hidden beach", right is definitely the 9 daughters hole

The shape is completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cork2015! wrote: »
    I'm finding it impossible to believe that that picture is of the nine daughters hole.

look at the shape of the opening on my pics below. Left picture is of the "hidden beach", right is definitely the 9 daughters hole

The shape is completely different

The Geo Twitter poster mentions "hole of the bull", which is what the left hand photo with the beach seems to be. That is the hole that's located at Beenconeen, the place that I mentioned in my last post.

The right hand photo on the Twitter post is the 9 daughters hole, and there's no sign of a beach.

I suppose it's possible that there's a "beach" at the bottom of the 9 daughters hole, perhaps at low tide, but I've never been down there so wouldn't know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Geo Twitter poster mentions "hole of the bull", which is what the left hand photo with the beach seems to be. That is the hole that's located at Beenconeen, the place that I mentioned in my last post.

The right hand photo on the Twitter post is the 9 daughters hole, and there's no sign of a beach.

I suppose it's possible that there's a "beach" at the bottom of the 9 daughters hole, perhaps at low tide, but I've never been down there so wouldn't know :p

I'm intrigued now so will be having a good look every time I pass ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

There is usually a very low tide in Sept. I will try and get a photo of the bottom from a few angles ..... Challenge accepted!

Here's a quick bird's-eye look at the Hole:

Cued to the right spot for your convenience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned In this thread already but it beggars belief to me that Kerry COCO have planning permission to those 2 monstrosity houses on the beach at Ladies beach. They are ugly as hell an IMO a terrible use of space. It was only last year they granted permission to knock one one story one and build a two story. Madness.

Here's a quick bird's-eye look at the Hole:

Cued to the right spot for your convenience :)

Why didn't I think of this yesterday?

tNvcOsI.png

wingnut wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned In this thread already but it beggars belief to me that Kerry COCO have planning permission to those 2 monstrosity houses on the beach at Ladies beach. They are ugly as hell an IMO a terrible use of space. It was only last year they granted permission to knock one one story one and build a two story. Madness.

I think they look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I think they look great.

I don't like the look of them but think if it was a very long beach it would work better. Given the strech of beach is so short they take up a lot of space at the back area.

Haunted Ireland: Ballybunion, the beach town with a dark past

sadr.gif

https://www.irishpost.com/outandabout/haunted-ireland-ballybunion-beach-town-dark-past-169062

This is a picture of the Pookeenee Castle, Ballybunion. It's on the cliff walk, not far from the 9 Daughter's Hole. Apologies for the poor photo, it's taken from Danny Houlihan's book, "Ballybunion, an illustrated history". I didn't scan it, as I didn't want to break the spine.

Legend has it that if you visit this castle at the wrong time, you will be plagued by bad dreams and nightmares. The only way to relieve the spell, is to visit the Pookeenes again, and walk around them three times in the dark with your eyes closed. Or something like that....

The word Pookeenees has its root in 'puca' (pronounced pookah where I come from) which is Irish for ghosts. So it probably is a haunted place!

lmnA3Wy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Anyone have any idea what happened? Perhaps it was a descent down to the Nun's Strand?

https://www.radiokerry.ie/father-two-children-injured-fall-ballybunion-cliffs-2/

It was beside the bottle bank on the way to the Mens beach. They slid down a grassy dune. They refused all help.

Drama makes good press, but it was a thing of nothing.

Still, rescue services didnt know that until they got there.

You mean near that paved road down to the Men's beach, Rider?

You mean near that paved road down to the Men's beach, Rider?

Yea. Slid from the footpath at top of grassy knoll (that leads to & from Rinn Bhui) to the beach / road ....

News articles made it sound very dramatic, reporting lots of services present and not all of them actually there.

Paper never refused ink, as they say...

The New Cliff Walk

Anybody hear anything about 5G possiblity coming to Ballybunion? I saw there was a Facebook group against it, but thats first I heard that it was a possibility.

God, I miss the place.

I'm going to have to get over there sometime in the coming year.

• Advertisement

Big jump in thread views in 2019

5188.gif

2019: 46 views per day
    2018: 20 views per day
    2017: 26 views per day
    2016: 33 views per day

5210.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Was beautiful down the beach there today. Place was mobbed with families out for New Year's Walks.

Great to see so much life and vibrancy, it's the simple things really.

A few Hardy souls taking a dip aswell.

Work has started on the new public toilets. The old toilets at the top of the beach road, locally called "the shops" , have been razed and new foundations laid. Plan is (afaik) to buld new toilets with a viewing area on the roof. Also, in the kids play park (just a stones throw from said toilets) a new feature will be added. Outdoor all weather fitness machines (like chin up bar, pedal machine, leg lifts etc) will be going in. Already added in that park is new concrete picnic benches.

I will see if I can post pics here (have to try from laptop as app doesn't let me)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Work has started on the new public toilets. The old toilets at the top of the beach road, locally called "the shops" , have been razed and new foundations laid. Plan is (afaik) to buld new toilets with a viewing area on the roof. Also, in the kids play park (just a stones throw from said toilets) a new feature will be added. Outdoor all weather fitness machines (like chin up bar, pedal machine, leg lifts etc) will be going in. Already added in that park is new concrete picnic benches.

I will see if I can post pics here (have to try from laptop as app doesn't let me)

"toilets with a viewing area on the roof"... The people using the toilets won't be too happy that they're being viewed from above :pac:

Some video of the town that's not the golf course or the beach! a084.gif

A combination of coastal erosion and recent storm Jorge has changed the profile of Leck Castle. The distinctive silouette of the 'baboon' or 'dog' on the left is gone!

Sorry, cant post pics, so follow this FB link to my good friends page (Mike Flahive - Bromore Cliffs) for pics & info

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2051261881686702&set=pcb.2051273945018829&type=3&theater

Ballybunion Marketing has called on people visiting Ballybunion beach to adhere strictly to social distancing.

Huge crowds visited the beach and other seaside locations yesterday leading to concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

"Huge crowds"?

Ballybunion-Beach-696x557.jpg
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/ballybunion-marketing-says-many-people-ballybunion-beach-yesterday/

The Radio Kerry pic wasn't taken on the day, I guess. There were crowds on the beach all right. Ladies beach was almost like a summer day quantity. It was not possible to keep distance from anyone. And car parks were worse. I guess people we bored staying indoors, and that Sunday was best weather of the week. We love visitors here in Ballyb, but this many when the locals are trying to stay away from each other, is really frightening.

In the meantime, nearly everything is closed (pubs, restaurants, barber, etc). Town is real quiet!

Hopefully it will improve soon ...

Can't post pic, but here is link to Sea Rescue twitter with pic of Ladies Beach on Sunday

https://twitter.com/BallybRescue/status/1242126226753572865?s=09

• Advertisement

That makes more sense. I was going to make a joke about four people being a huge crowd but since I'm in NYC I thought people might take it the wrong way.

Ballybunion more crowded than Midtown Manhattan. Who would have thought it.

Here's St. Patrick's Cathedral on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

ETy0-VZX0AIUHpC?format=jpg&name=medium
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETy0-VZX0AIUHpC?format=jpg&name=medium

Advertisement