Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L Plates

Options
  • 12-05-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I've heard anecdotally of tests being called off on the day because people using incorrect L plates. You know the type... the so-called "stelth L" where the border has been cut away to leave just 1mm of white, that is bad for sure.

But how strict are the testers in their interpretation of the law.

The applicable law is SI 285/1989: ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF DRIVERS) REGULATIONS, 1989.
    ...a person provisionally licensed to drive vehicles of category B... rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter "L" not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle

If they are too strict, or favour their own interpretaion I see problems

-15cm is mentioned but does that refer to the height of the "L" of the height of the white background (reread the quote, you can interpret whatever way you want)
    -"clearly visible vertical positions" - a cars windscreen and back screen are not actually "vertical"
    -what about the inclusion of an object not mentioned, see attached image

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

vector wrote:
    ...a person provisionally licensed to drive vehicles of category B... rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter "L" not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle

If they are too strict, or favour their own interpretaion I see problems

-15cm is mentioned but does that refer to the height of the "L" of the height of the white background (reread the quote, you can interpret whatever way you want)
    well it says "15cm high in red" so I guess it refers to the L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

The key is the word 'rectangular'. Stealth L plates aren't legal because they are not rectangular. '15cm' pretty clearly refers to the size of the L. 'Clearly visible vertical positions' means that the L is positioned vertically and not on its side or upside-down and in a place where it is clearly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

rectangular = "Having four right angles"

I found more text that specifies a minimum 2cm border of white from the edge of the L in ever direction

So these addup to say that you must have a solid white rectangle with an internal red L, so now onto the 15cm problem...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

re: the 15cm - I thought I answered that.
    re: the white background - I don't know - anyone know the legislation it is governed by?

edit: D'Oh - sure that is what the discussed quote is from - I think its time for bed!

two possible interpretaions

rectangular plates or signs (which happen to bear the letter "L") not less than fifteen centimetres high...

OR

rectangular plates or signs (which happen to bear the letter "L" not less than fifteen centimetres high)"

right now I'm looking at an plate that I bought today and it has an 8cm high L (with a 15cm high white box)

you are saying the other option, see what I mean?!

now, in real-life both of course will do, sure both are of a visible size, but this thread is about the driving tester, who might be a jobsworth looking for an hour off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Just take it to a place ahead of time and ask them! And while you're at it, why not get it in writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Lad just bate up the ordinary plates on the day of the test and your away on a hack

Its grand for you to use casual words like "lad" "bate" "hack"

But if I fail in the carpark I'm looking at another 6 months+ waiting paying loaded insurance.

Will you pay my insurance? no Will you care? no Will you even know? no

I gotta cover my @$s on this one

vector wrote:

But if I fail in the carpark I'm looking at another 6 months+ waiting paying loaded insurance.

Is there something particularly difficult about this? You can go into the AA or any other automotive accessories store and buy perfectly legal L plates. As long as you don't modify them, you'll be fine. They should be rectangular with a 15cm L on a white background (it's crystal clear to me that the L is what must be 15cm; if you have to have 2cm of white margin on all sides and the rectangle were 15cm tall, that would leave you with an 11cm L, which is far too small).

In short: it's hardly the sort of major conundrum you seem to be turning it into.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

good luck with the test by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would read it as the plate being 15cm square, but I've never heard of anyone's tester getting out a measuring tape and trying it. If it worries you, buy a fresh pair of plates from a garage on the way. I have *never* heard of anyone being failed for having the bog standard ones on.

I've heard that particular statute quoted as "at least 15cm square" and "at least 15cm high". In summary, it's the last thing you need worry about. As long as it's white, red and visible, you're covered.

I've heard of people failing though for driving there less L-plates, going into the test centre and the tester arriving out to a car without L plates. Even if the plates are in the car and you offer to put them up, you'll be failed on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Why dont you just go into any motorshop or Atlantic homecare and buy a set. If you pass you can keep them as a momentum!!! When I was doing mine i got the Magnetic ones in Atlantic and they were €7.50. I was able to pass them on to another learner when i was finished with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

vector wrote:

just make sure you have a nice big white bit around the L ... its the cut out L's they don't like...

if you are not sure drop by test the day before your test ... look for someone comming back from their test and check your L plates are the same size....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is hilarious a huge debate about the shape of L plates. We all know what an L plate looks like. The letter L on a white background. The Letter L with a 2cm white outline is not the letter L on a white background. Use common sense. The letter L on a white background is visible to other drivers. The stealth L may look cool but is next to invisible to other motorists and it will cause you to fail your test. Why is it that some motorists are so thick to make these basic mistakes and then go delving into some legal ambiguity to cover their idiotic and arrogant ways. BTW I'd be in favour of a penalty points for qualified drivers who drive with L plates displayed as they do in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

why would you cut away the white in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Divers wrote:
    why would you cut away the white in the first place?

Some people cut it away so it's less obvious they're learners, but somehow think they're still obeying the law by technically having it in the window. Either put L plates up, or don't, the red L on it's own doesn't count and you might aswell not have plates up.

I think I'm missing something here, why can't you just buy a set of L plates and put them up? They cost a few euro max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Vanity and pride ... I don't want people to know that I'm a learner and it doesn't look nice on my car. I know people who refused to use L plates in their time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i smell a boy racer...

BrianD wrote:
    Vanity and pride ... I don't want people to know that I'm a learner and it doesn't look nice on my car.

You know what? That's really too bad. Pass the test and you can take them off. Don't pass the test and your only option is to keeping them on in the manner and form prescribed by law.

You probably also drive around with your fog lights on because it 'looks cool.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Big fecking deal, "I wont put up L plates the other drivers will think im a freak!! and laugh and point as they overtake me" I always leave mine up. Cant understand why people get so embarased by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

i just measured the plates on my car
    my "L" is "15cm" high and the background is "19cm" high

i also measured the plates on my brothers car
    his "L" is "9cm" high and the border is "14cm" high

never noticed it before, both manufacturers musta read the law differently

if in doubt use the bigger one, cos the law says "at least" meaning that it is only giving a minimum

Advertisement