Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x-box, wireless setup

• 12-05-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of noodle scratcher here:

X-box, working fine on ethernet, wanted wireless option
    got: Belkin wireless network bridge, 802.11G, installed the sofware, says its good to go. (also says it'll work on x-box)
    Using a Netopia 3347nwg wireless router.

Plugged Belkin into x-box using supplied ethernet cable
    The Belkin bridge has 3 indicator lights, power, ethernet and wireless, all lit

So, disabled wep (set to "no privacy) on the netopia, x-box not being assigned an IP. (DHCP is working on router as laptop and pc are getting ip config)
    Manually configured IP settings, 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254 (gateway)
    Still can't connect

Changed default wireless channel on netopia to 1 (from 7), no change.
    Says 11 on the bridge so set to 11... no change. (saving and rebooting router each time)

Tried a different ethernet cable between the x-box and Belkin... nada

Wireless is working as checked it with a laptop.

Any suggestions / advise?

Cheers

(yes i posted this on the wireless forum too, didn't know there was an x-box forum heh)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

have you called Xbox support ? in my experience they've been really helpful and as you say the hardware calls out that it works on Xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Make sure that the bridge is not set to Infrastructure, are you useing MAC filtering or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Make sure that the bridge is not set to Infrastructure, are you useing MAC filtering or anything?

my wet-11 bridge is set to infrastucture and i can swap it back and forth between the pc and 2 xbox's and it connects to all 3.

as fuzzy points out check the mac filtering ( i have it on
    + 128 bit wep ) other than that there is not alot i can offer except with my first xbox i had to enter the ip , gateway and dns manually but with my second one if it was set to auto it would do it all for me .

edit :
    "Azezil wrote:
    Changed default wireless channel on netopia to 1 (from 7), no change.
    Says 11 on the bridge so set to 11... no change. (saving and rebooting router each time)

if the netopia is set to channel 1 should the bridge not be set to 1 also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I assume this is the item you are talking about.
    FUL1_F5D7130uk.jpg
    My mate has the same one if it is, you must change the default setting from infrastructure to the other one, can't remember what they call it. In infrastructure mode it will look to act as a 'cable-less cabel' ie: if you had 2 of these and 2 xbox's they would think they where directly connected via a cable. I would recommend re-setting everything to default and then changing this setting, and work it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Clover wrote:
    if the netopia is set to channel 1 should the bridge not be set to 1 also ?
    its set to 11 so i changed the channel on the netopia to 11.

I was helping this guy over the phone so...
    you must change the default setting from infrastructure to the other one
    Is that done with the software supplied with the bridge?

And do I have to configure the xbox's ip range to that of the bridge, or does the xbox get the ip info from the dhcp on the netopia?

• Advertisement
Advertisement