Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bad ram?

• 12-05-2005 5:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

put another block of 256 ram in my pc... its pc2100
    it shows now as 512
    but i dont notice any higher speeds or anything
    same make of ram etc etc.
    what is the term bad ram really about
    confliction problems or what?
    confused... hope i can get this sorted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Generally if ram is "bad" it will either not detect properly or you will have problems with stability particularly when you start filling the memory eg. most modern games will munch through ram.

There are a number of utilities you can get from teh internet to test your ram. I don't have any links at the mo (Sorry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I wouldnt be to sure that it is RAM thats the problem. Are you sure that when going in/out of games its not any faster?

Any way, try Memtest and check if it is the RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Found this handy little utility there yesterday when I was researching about memory for my own ram
    http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php
    Doesn't need any install, just unzip and run. Gives you loads of info about ram, cpu etc.
    If it isnt exactly what you're looking for its still well worth the download..Less than 1mb too...
    Should be in the useful programs sticky imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Adding extra memory will only speed up your PC if you actually need the memory. By this I mean that if you were using less than 256Mb almost all of the time then you won't notice a difference. The obvious exception would be changing to a dual-DDR configuration.

Also, make sure that the existing RAM was PC2100. If you put a stick of PC2100 in a PC2700 capible PC with a stick of PC2700 you'll slow your memory bus to PC2100 speeds and decrease performance. A friend once added 256Mb PC2100 with his existing 512Mb of PC3200 and had his PC crippled for ages.

As pointed out by Arabel if you think there is any issue with newly installed memory the best course of action is to test it with memtest86 or memtest86+. As a rule when install new memory I'll run a test for a few hours (min) with one of these.

Advertisement