Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic watch works

Options
  • 12-05-2005 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I reported a Guy for suicidal overtaking all of 6 months ago and I made a statement to the cops. Heard nothing till yesterday morning when a registered letter arrived containing a witness summons.

Anyone here ever get this far with a complaint? Whats the form?
    I'm up in Thomastown in July.

thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

well you'll most likely be the only witness, so if you 'testify', then i guess he'll be getting a nice hefty fine and some points etc

But if you don't, he'll walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Do 'em. It's not like he's gonna know where you live. Get some justice. i'm sure when you reported him 6months ago you hoped something would happen to him, nows your chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Hope it works out and the guy gets what is coming to him. Nice to see others out there doing the job our cops cannot be ar$ed doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

This result will completely depend on the whims of the judge. I was in court last week in Urlingford (uninsured driver ploughed into the side of my car) and neither me or the witness were asked to give evidence. The other guys solicitor spouted a bit of crap and the guy got off with €250 fine, no points but a 6mth disqualification - originally 12mths but the solicitor argued that the guy lived in a remote area and this would cause him hardship.

Theres always the chance the other guy won't bother turning up to court, and since its your word against his, I'd imagine he won't be punished too severely... so depending on the result I'd say traffic watch works, if the guy gets away with it, its wasted the guards, judges, and your time... but I honestly hope he gets shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kdevitt wrote:
    This result will completely depend on the whims of the judge. I was in court last week in Urlingford (uninsured driver ploughed into the side of my car) and neither me or the witness were asked to give evidence. The other guys solicitor spouted a bit of crap and the guy got off with €250 fine, no points but a 6mth disqualification - originally 12mths but the solicitor argued that the guy lived in a remote area and this would cause him hardship.

Out of interest, how did you claim for the damage to your car, did you have to claim on your own policy thus affecting your NCB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I was fully comp, so I claimed against my own policy, which in turn claims against the MIBI - without affecting my NCB.

Advertisement