Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How reliable are Meteor these days?

Options
  • 12-05-2005 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving from a RTG phone to a bill phone and the Samsung D500 on Meteor has me really tempted. The only thing I'm worried about is the quality of the Meteor network. I've heard that they've improved greatly in recent times but are they still the poor relation of O2 and Vodafone when it comes to reception and network quality? Also are there still problems with their MMC service? I seem to remember never being able to get MMC from people who sent them from Metoer phones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I have been using them for over a year now and am quiet happy.
    Coverage is as good as other networks (in certain areas Meteor piggy back on O2).
    Never had a dropped call or not had coverage other than in areas nobody (voda,02) had coverage.

I spend feck all on calls and text about avg €20 a month or so whereas with Vodafone I have had and average of €30.

MMS seem to work fine across networks now but I am not a heavy user so would not notice any interuptions.

Customer Service is as to be expected - alright, but a wee bit better than vodafone IMHO.

There was a period of about a month where I would have to attempt a call two or three times before getting a connection but that has stopped now.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them.

One thing tho: beg, borrow or steal a Meteor phone and make sure the coverage is okay in your area. I'm in Dublin so no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm in Galway and have had full coverage without problems for 5 years on the same sim.

Sometimes there are periods of problems, such as not being able to send sms or make calls, but they are rare and seem not to happen much anymore.

MMS, I've had to problem with whatsoever. Send them on daily basis no problems.

Unless you literally live in a mountain in the arse end of kerry or something, you shouldn't have any trouble with coverage, especially as it switches to o2 in the event of no coverage with meteor.

Definately worth it, I've been with them 5 years and would never change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I tried meteor but it drops alot of calls in Templeogue, Dublin. I heard it has issues in many parts of Dublin. Get a prepay sim before signing a contract. In Dublin vodafone are your bet best.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dark_prince

I'm in Templeogue on O2 and get loads of dropped calls. Driving from Templeogue village to Terenure and the calls always drop. In the evenings between 6 and 7 I continually get network busy. I bought a Meteor sim as I'm switching over to them and it's worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i switched to meteor over a year ago and havent had any problems, spend way less on credit than i did with vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

signed up to Meteor yesterday and my MMS messages fail on a nokia 6230

what are the correct settings does anyone know?

coverage etc. is perfect so MMS is the only complaint so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

Not very

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Mossy Monk wrote:

Go to the nokia website and get them sent straight to your phone, or log in to my meteor and get them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was on Vodafone for years and decided to change to meteor at the end of last year......havent had a problem since this week when coverage seemed to be down in D15....>Sunday no coverage and on tuesday although it said I had coverage nobody could get me till I was in Drumcondra.......anyway have been all over Ireland since including Cork/Galway/Westportl......never had a problem in any of those areas or on the way down to them from Dublin......go to Cavan regular and better cover there than O2 or Vodafone....seems to not be the best in Navan but Vodafone was always terrible for me in the area coming into Navan.....must be interferance there from something

Change if I was you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I got a meteor as a second Phone. Live in Blessington so hung onto my O2 as backup but i wanted Meteor as i make a lot of Uk calls and they are charged at same rate as to landline over here. Also all your monthly tarriff goes on calls.

Anyway service i have found has improved over the 13 months i;ve had the phone and in some spots on my commute to town is actually better than my O2. As u stray from towns though it can suffer weak signal but i haven't suffered a dropped call in i'd say over 6 months. I can't really fault them. One thing i had while roaming in the UK. The website said to use Vodafone UK as default as it would have cheapest roaming charge. Worked fine for first couple of days. Then suddenly refused to send SMS. Could still make calls. Rang helpdesk....(who i always found much better than O2 or Voda) and was told to switch to Orange, which worked perfect.

One last thing, its more of a question. I am thinking of Upgrading my Meteor. Was also Looking at the samsung or the Moto V3. Does anyone have any recomendations and does anyone know what deal Meteor do for upgrades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

dunno about the upgrades, but chose the D500 over the v3 its the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

setanta5 wrote:
    I can't really fault them. One thing i had while roaming in the UK. The website said to use Vodafone UK as default as it would have cheapest roaming charge. Worked fine for first couple of days. Then suddenly refused to send SMS. Could still make calls. Rang helpdesk....(who i always found much better than O2 or Voda) and was told to switch to Orange, which worked perfect.

Had similiar problem when in France.....got into Paris and could get coverage and received txt message but when people rang me wouldn't work. Got connecting flight to South of France and tried the different networks.....sometime if one network was working sending and receiving message it would then stop....I would change after I knew I had got a message and could get 4-5 then that had been building up.....this went on the full week and I never got one phone call.....wouldnt let calls get through....when going home got into Paris and turned on phone....next thing got a welcome txt message(you always get these when you arrive in different country and I hadnt received one yet that week from any network).....asked a mate to ring me and it worked no problem....meant to look into it but never did bother.....never had problems in UK or Spain when I was using it there earlier this year.....was a new one on me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Mossy Monk wrote:

Go to the meteor site and log in with your phone number and pin and there is an option to get the settings sent to your phone.

Ive had meteor a year as payg and the odd time youll get a night where calls drop but there rare and ive had more probs with vodaphone than ive had with meteor. I think the days when they really where rubbish are behind them now they just have problems that all the other networks get from time to time.

Advertisement