Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provider with high upload speed?

• 12-05-2005 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm experimenting with setting VOIP on top of a SME office network. Currently the office is using Eircom Business Plus:
    Up: 256
    Down: 1.5 - 3Mb
    Contention: 24-1

The problem is that the Voice quality of the VOIP degrades or goes completely a number of times during the day. This would appear to be a bandwith problem and as such I'm looking to upgrade the Broadband for the office. I know that strictly speaking VOIP should only be set up on a managed line but the provider has said that lots of companies in the UK have successfully set up VOIP on unmanaged lines.

Budget does not allow for a managed leased line, unfortunately!

Therefore we're looking for a solution which is Symmetric or as close as possible, with Upload and Download speeds of circa 3Mb.

I'm wondering what Broadband providers are options for this service since most of them use Eircom lines so will be pretty much useless.

We've had Irish Broadband out to do a line of sight test which failed!! (There may be an option to put the antenna next door).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If you failed them then the nearest ISP that has a high upload speed would be NTL. Their 3MB package has a 300kb/s upload rate. Thats the only one I can think of. The rest are either 256kb's or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Leap Broadband off symetric DSL and symetric wireless
    www.leap.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I totally forgot about Leap, had a chat with them and they seem to have a good range of services. Will have to find out more about their prices from sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i think 1Mbit SDSL is about €89/month excl VAT according to their order form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

IBB 2 up 2 down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

If you get leap wireless:
    http://www.leap.ie/Wireless.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Have you called ntl and asked about their business broadband packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Ideally we would go for IBB, but as I mentioned may not be possible since no line of sight from the office. We may negotiate with our neighbours about erecting a mast on their property but that's a minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you implemented any QOS via your router and what codecs are your using?

Advertisement