Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What motivates you do do MA?

• 12-05-2005 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Ok the title says it all. So what is motivating you to doing Martial Arts?

At first I wanted to do MA so I'd feel safe, knowing that eventually after much training i would be able to defend myself if needed. I was never a fighter but it was a motivator to know that I would be able to fight when required!

However today, I feel its not about the fighting or self defense thats making me stick at training. I speak highly of the benifits of MA, this is not Bull i speak, this is true for me, honestly! I have gained great confidence, I'm happy in myself, I enjoy doing TKD, and have made great mates. Its the whole friendship, perseverence, and above all the confidence, and integrety that is motivating me to continue training.

Would love hear others stories, don't be shy. Tell all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Then: I wanted to be an invincible ninja samurai beating up hordes of badguys without ever breaking a sweat. I dont believe anyone that says this isnt a factor for starting martial arts.

Now: The physicality, the fear, the fun. I love feeling in shape. Am 2/3 through my finals at the moment so feel like a tub of gelatinous goo. Cant wait to get back to it. I dont care about self defence to be honest. Not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I started because I wanted to get, and the learning how to fight at the same time was a big plus. I'd decided that the first poster I saw advertising a martial-arts class would be the one I went to. So I saw one for TKD, and that was the start. Luckily I fell in with a great crowd.

So now, it's still about fitness, and pushing myself to do more than I thought I ever could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At the start, it was for fun, and to learn to defend myself. Over time, it became more for fitness, and for the fantastic people I train with. Self-defence isn't that big a deal to me, weird as that may sound. I do enjoy competition, but it's not a big part of what motivates me. I suppose it's also about being the best that I can be within the art too, and challenging myself every time I go training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I started TKD for my gaisca. I set a goal of getting my yellow tip and then I was going to give up.

Four years later, I'm still doing it. And although I did get my yellow tip, I never got my gaisca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Great question memphis ;)

Well I was born in 1975 and when I was very young was watching Bruce Lee and early Jackie Chan (the man) moives (mainly Police Story) over and over, and thought these guys were cool.

I started training in TKD at 13 because my uncle was doing it and I was a bit of a home hound and needed to get a bit fit (fighting a loosing battle really :D;) ).

Over the years it's changed...

to comps...
    to being really technical...
    to be good at real Self Defence...
    to meeting bendy chicks ;) ...
    to getting a black belt...
    to being a good instructor...
    etc...etc...

You need to keep moving around to the different parts of your style so that you do not get bored. But you will always have your fav parts :D and thats fine!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is a bad time to ask me because truth be told, I'm too busy with other things to be motivated.. I started so I could compete and consistantly test myself to be the best I could be.

Who knows why I do it now. I don't.. Maybe I should go seek enlightenment or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

A lot like Colum posted above, I started for Self Defence, I stayed around training in one manner or another for the fun now. People are always saying how dedicated I am to be trainign all the time, but I think that is rubbish, when you get so much enjoyment from doing something its easy to do lots of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

The fitness aspect is what drew me to Judo in the first place but then once I had my first competition the emphasis shifted towards competition. Obviously the self defence part of the MA is a big bonus but the thing that really motivates me is competition.

As pma said and with all sport
    You need to keep moving around to the different parts of your style so that you do not get bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

pma-ire wrote:
    Great question memphis ;)

Well thanks you Mr O'Leary!
    pma-ire wrote:
    Well I was born in 1975 and when I was very young was watching Bruce Lee and early Jackie Chan (the man) moives (mainly Police Story) over and over, and thought these guys were cool.
    I grew up watching Bruce Lee and Jackie along with the karate kid, and Jones from Police Academy, so no wonder I got hit by the MA bug!
    pma-ire wrote:
    I started training in TKD at 13 because my uncle was doing it and I was a bit of a home hound and needed to get a bit fit (fighting a loosing battle really :D;) ).
    I first took up TKD when I was about 11 or 12, and grading to yellow tip, but the club broke up unfortunately. I suppose I had also tried pretty much every other sport available at the time, so MA was a last resort, plus the fact that my next door neighbour was instructor at the time!
    pma-ire wrote:
    Over the years it's changed...

to comps...
    to being really technical...
    to be good at real Self Defence...
    to meeting bendy chicks ;) ...
    to getting a black belt...
    to being a good instructor...
    etc...etc...

I guess your perspective of it changes as you move along in rank. It has for me anyway!
    pma-ire wrote:
    You need to keep moving around to the different parts of your style so that you do not get bored. But you will always have your fav parts :D and thats fine!!

Couldn't agree more, this will allow you to perfect all areas, and reduce boredom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

memphis wrote:
    Well thanks you Mr O'Leary!

Your welcome Mr. o'Leary ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I think I'd be lying if I claimed The Karate Kid had no influence on young me :)

Now, I do it because I think it's important to have a progressive hobby, and something that challenges you regularly. Plus, it's fun (sometimes :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Got in a few fights where I got bad beatings,was gym training but the added strength did nothing for me :(
    Was going to go boxing but a guy who was buying a rifle from my Father (Gun Dealer) asked if I wanted to learn TKD.Why just punch when you can kick and knee as well? so I was off and running into the world of MA.
    Staying training given the high drop off rate of all MA clubs though? That's another good question,especially for full time instructors!
    I just enjoy it and hated team sports,at least what ever I achieve is all me in a ring or Dojang!

Advertisement