Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rating teachers

Options
  • 12-05-2005 11:53am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you haven't seen this site check it out. Look for your old (or current?) school. Pretty funny some of the comments that students post about the teachers. It seems that the good one and bad ones come out in the wash at the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I am a mod for it and you should see some of the coments that have to be deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

BossArky wrote:
    If you haven't seen this site check it out. Look for your old (or current?) school. Pretty funny some of the comments that students post about the teachers. It seems that the good one and bad ones come out in the wash at the end.

Seen it and tought it was harmless fun at first
    But i have since learned that alot of disgruntled people are using it to badmouth their teachers. The teacher has no come back and it amounts to slander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

rkm wrote:
    There is a search function :rolleyes:

Ah come on now, where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Have to admit put me back as a 17 year old and I'd have had fun on that site but now I'm older and wiser I find ratemyteacher a bit appalling. It's not till your older that you appreciate A: The job teachers do and B: What a **** job it can be.

I think ratemyteacher is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

I am a mod for it and you should see some of the coments that have to be deleted

In fairness i cant see much modding being done on the site. I dont think i would appreciate some of the stuff i have seen written up there if i was the teacher. It is slander and very unfair. I dont think the IEDR should have allowed this to be registered as a .ie domain.

I hope that it gets taken down.

how would you like a ratemycollegue.ie ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've been out of school a few years but looking at my school at least, most of the comments are very fair. The good teachers have gotten praise and the bad teachers have gotten what they deserve. I don't see whats wrong with that, it's free speech.

steviec wrote:
    I've been out of school a few years but looking at my school at least, most of the comments are very fair. The good teachers have gotten praise and the bad teachers have gotten what they deserve. I don't see whats wrong with that, it's free speech.

Free speech offers the right to reply.
    This site does not offer this.
    There is nothing to stop me making false accusations against a teacher
    It's a site that needs to be god rid of immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Im mod for my school, and the good teachers get high marks and the bad ones get low marks, even if they're strict, so I think it's fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Which school do you teach in Egan?

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote:
    Im mod for my school, and the good teachers get high marks and the bad ones get low marks, even if they're strict, so I think it's fair.
    Please! :rolleyes:
    You think having 2 categories high and low is fair.
    These are people!!!
    Have you a relation a teacher?

magpie wrote:
    Which school do you teach in Egan?
    Im a software Engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Theres not 2 catagories. Im just saying, what teachers got on average. Plus Teachers can grade us, why cant we grade teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I've only looked at my old school but I think that some of the comments are unfair.

Fair enough, the idea of rating a teacher on their teaching abilities is a good idea, but some of the comments are very insulting, such as "a diet wouldn't go astray", "no fashion sense what so ever", etc etc.

Blisterman wrote:
    Theres not 2 catagories. Im just saying, what teachers got on average. Plus Teachers can grade us, why cant we grade teachers?

Teachers grade you
    1) for your benefit
    2) In a fair manner
    3) Openly

This is open to people hiding behind the net taking digs at real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

egan007 wrote:
    Free speech offers the right to reply.
    This site does not offer this.
    There is nothing to stop me making false accusations against a teacher
    It's a site that needs to be god rid of immediately.

True, but it can work the other way too.
    When the site was fairly new, my old schools reviews were accurate in my opinion. Bad teachers got bad reviews and good teachers got good reviews. You'd be surprised how many students really appreciate good teachers.

However, now the teachers have learned about it, so its so obvious they are logging on themselves, or getting friends and family to "up" their average total.

There was one terrible teacher who had totally lost all commitment for the job... so many bad reviews, yet now all his latest reviews are lots of "5-5-5" (top marks) and comments like "A true model teacher the students love".

The site is totally irrelevant because of this. It just highlights the fact that we need proper independent reports on our schools. League tables mightnt be far off if the government has its way...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I do appreciate what people are saying about the last of reply which isn't fair alright. But from my own experience of school there were several teachers who had completely lost the plot. Seriously I thought some of them needed psychiatric help and at the very least should not have been teaching anyone. This doesn’t take away from some of the excellent teachers that I had over the years but there was never any way to complain about the quality of teaching you received. It seemed to be that a teacher would have to badly molest or kill a pupil before they would be fired.

Funnily enough it was staff from one of the Dept of Education offices that pointed the site out to me.

I'm sure all the teachers are crying into their pillows about ratemyteacher.ie during their 3 month long paid summer holidays.

"Sympathy, no sympathy, I have none, no not for thee..."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Absolutely, I completely agree, there's nothing wrong with it, I've rated my 4 favourite teachers very highly (all have 4.5+ averages), and the idiot guidance councilor got the 1-1-1 she deserved, her average is 1.4 and doesn't even deserve that. update: the silly bint has rated herself! In amongst the lousy ratings, there are a few 5-5-5s with obviously auto-biographical comments.

@powerhousedan ; modding is very strict by the looks, I doubt much gets through. My brother teaches at a fairly exclusive all-boys school and there's one teacher there that is *insanely* hot, her *average* is 5, and nearly all of the comments have been removed. One that remains; "the fact they she teaches is a bonus".
    Go free speech, they grade us, it affects our whole lives, we grade them, it affects their ego, or maybe their peer standing in the smoking room, deal with it.
    A lot of teachers (particularly young ones) read that site, and at least one school displays the rankings in the staff room.
    I've done some teaching too before you get all defensive, and you have to work hard for their respect, tough chillies if you haven't got it..

• Advertisement

ha ha... yeah, that's the one :->
    Rating's gone down since I last looked though.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:_UT-IhK4HmMJ:www.nuim.ie/academic/adulted/DACEReport.pdf+Breda+Coyle+guidance&hl=en&client=firefox-a

<google html'ed pdf>
    She's now teaching people how to be Guidance Councilors??? The idiocy of it is astounding..

Wow, just wrote a stinging letter of admonition to NUI Maynooth protesting their taste in tutors, and I'm not a regular 'Letters to the Editor'-type. That woman... sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Well, I like the concept. It exposes bad teachers. All the teachers see the site, and will be able to see their weaknesses, when students wouldn't usually be able to talk about them.

The problem is, though, the teachers at my school put pressure on our mod and he was made to delete all the comments. Even the good ones, and even the fair ones. Fascists! There were problems that were finally being addressed, but they have all been swept under the rug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Ratemyteachers.ie should be taken down. Not fair to judge people like that when they cant reply. Must be hard on teacher who has been teaching all there life, only to be judged openly for everyone to see, by a couple of kids who have a problem with him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

angry_fox wrote:
    Ratemyteachers.ie should be taken down. Not fair to judge people like that when they cant reply. Must be hard on teacher who has been teaching all there life, only to be judged openly for everyone to see, by a couple of kids who have a problem with him/her.

People have common sense, they won't trust one negative person amongst a lot of positive comments. If they are a good teacher, that is the overall impression that will be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

your not supposed to link to individual teachers, so says one of the mods. (cent remember which one)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

<Jonny> wrote:
    People have common sense, they won't trust one negative person amongst a lot of positive comments. If they are a good teacher, that is the overall impression that will be seen.
    In theory, yes; but in my school, for example, there are a lot of a$$holes who have been putting up bad ratings for teachers who have never even taught them, cos they've been picked up about their uniform or something

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of students seem to be put up as teachers of random subjects? It's sure happening on the page for my school anyway

That's ridiculous, how can a teacher possibly pressure a mod for a US-based site, where freedom of speech trumps libel every time?
    Come on, even if a teacher is critized, surely their egos can take it? I'm not talking about allegations of abuse (it that what people are alluding to??) I'm just talking about negative feedback about their methods or competancy.
    Everyone has a right-to-reply, these schools should back off, and the mods should have stones enough to tell them where to stick it. Case for mods being ex-pupils maybe? Or a parent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Does anyone know if the site has been taken down because i havent been able to access it in the past couple of days.???

Advertisement