Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rating teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

kano476 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the site has been taken down because i havent been able to access it in the past couple of days.???
    Yeah it's weird, I just tried to go onto it there because of your post and I can't get onto it either. Maybe the server has just gone down temporarily?
    I love your sig btw! That website cracked me up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

No... RateMyTeachers has not been taken down (and never will be). Over the past week or so it has been undergoing some changes, the biggest of which was an entire server change which resulted in the site being offline for a period. It is however up and running again, and the RateMyTeachers forums will be back online very very soon. - RMT Trusted Administrator :)

That's ridiculous, how can a teacher possibly pressure a mod for a US-based site, where freedom of speech trumps libel every time?
    Come on, even if a teacher is critized, surely their egos can take it? I'm not talking about allegations of abuse (it that what people are alluding to??) I'm just talking about negative feedback about their methods or competancy.
    Everyone has a right-to-reply, these schools should back off, and the mods should have stones enough to tell them where to stick it. Case for mods being ex-pupils maybe? Or a parent?

On each schools page there is a section where a parent can rate a teacher. These pages are also moderated by parents. About the mods being ex-pupils... It wouldn't work well. The school admins at present have the advantage that they know the new teachers in the school, and are well able to spot a "fake" teacher or student on the site. Students also tend to have more time to log on and review any ratings which they might have. - Trust me, it works better this way!

Since Christmas the site has had over half a million ratings and this number is still growing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I think it's a fantastic idea. So far, all the teachers have got their just desserts. It's accurate because the teachers who go in without much enthusiasm, yet still know it's there duty to teach get the average ratings. The teachers who are extremely poor and incapable in the classroom get the low ratings and the teachers with a wide knowledge of their subject along with a lot of enthusiasm and spirit to teach get the high ratings.

It's funny; I've also noticed the poorer teachers getting 5-5-5 recently. I think it's so sad that they feel so strongly about people voicing their criticism on their ability they have to try and disable the website. Not all the comments are digs at the teachers, you know. :rolleyes:

So, what have the teacher unions to be worried about? The worst I can think about is to have their ability audited. That doesn't matter much anyway because I remember a person from the Department of Education came to witness my English class for two days. The teacher had a 180-degree change of attitude. I wonder why she wasn't like that before :rolleyes:

There should be proper system for the serious student to be able to voice his or her opinion of the teachers. Good teachers should be rewarded and set as a standard for others; the bad teachers should be removed of their position.

Yeah, but there will always be students out there with a "grudge" against a teacher, and something like that could prove damaging to a teachers reputation. Anyways, as im sure you have ALL noticed... The site cannot be taken down due to a technicality. The site is hosted from America, and therefore is safe for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement