Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why would a motorcycle CDI unit Blow??

Options
  • 12-05-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what would cause a cdi unit on a motorcycle to bow or melt??? Its a 1988 vtr 250. Its not my bike but i was just curious as to what could cause that? obviously there is a more erious underlying fault or can that happen just over time???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Sometimes it is just pure vibration. They appear to be bust but if you saw it open and look at the solder joints, you might notice one joint that is not in good condition. I had this problem, and I sawed open the hard casing and soldered a good number of the joints. It worked and saved a good few quid! Often times though, I think that ignition problems are blamed on the CDI, when in reality the problem can be elsewhere (even if the other problem is hard to find in itself, people tend to blame the CDI......)

Dunno why they would blow outside of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i think this one is genuinely melted (literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

check that the regulator is working before fitting a new one, if it melted it's likely it got a massive current or voltage spike although on a bike that old some critical component may have simply failed, and caused a short or over current situation in the CDI curcuit.

echomadman wrote:
    check that the regulator is working before fitting a new one, if it melted it's likely it got a massive current or voltage spike although on a bike that old some critical component may have simply failed, and caused a short or over current situation in the CDI curcuit.

Yeah, but if the regulator is gone, then I think he would have gotten a blown main fuse rather than a burnt CDI. The real question is what would cause the massive current or voltage spike that you are talking about? (Please don't anyone say the engine spark leaking back to CDI!)

One other thing to check on your CDI is the terminals(and where they are plugging into - any green/rusty stuff on either end then clear it off). Check engine earth too - CDI is dependant on it as well.

Still doesn't why the CDI blew, but if you have a broken one and you get it fixed do you really give a f**k for how it blew in the first place?

Elfish wrote:

Still doesn't why the CDI blew, but if you have a broken one and you get it fixed do you really give a f**k for how it blew in the first place?

no.. but what id be worried about is replacing the CDI and the newer one blowing too, that would be a waste of money and problem still not fixed :(

• Advertisement

Good point. So what causes the CDI to blow? *waits for can of worms* :)

Elfish wrote:
    *waits for can of worms* :)

thats what i am thinking

Advertisement