Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP now or wait?

• 12-05-2005 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

In no rush to get one, but would i better before off ordering on online or wait till sep 1st? What will the difference be? Was hoping sony would of upgraded the firmware so a browser will be installed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd go for one now. GAME are charing €255 for the European one without a game so add in a couple of games at €50 - €60 each and you're looking at €360 or so. You can get an import version with two games for that price or less so there's no point in waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Where is the best place to buy one? Can the firmware be upgraded at a later stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Yea it can be upgraded later they have relesed 2 firmware upgrades for the jap model already
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Where can i get a imported one with games for that price?
    I'd go for one now. GAME are charing €255 for the European one without a game so add in a couple of games at €50 - €60 each and you're looking at €360 or so. You can get an import version with two games for that price or less so there's no point in waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ebay is probably your best bet that or keep an eye on the For Sale forum here at boards. I bought a brand new unoppened Value Pak with Need for Speed Underground for €310 off a guy here.

Lik-sang.com and videogameplus.ca have both got good reputations too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

In no rush to get one, but would i better before off ordering on online or wait till sep 1st? What will the difference be? Was hoping sony would of upgraded the firmware so a browser will be installed?

If you're in no rush I'd just assume wait. That's what I'm doing. There will be more game selection and if there is anything wrong with the PSP it will give sony time to fix it and possibly the price will drop too. The only down side is if you feel left out of all the gaming goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Illuvatar wrote:
    If you're in no rush I'd just assume wait. That's what I'm doing. There will be more game selection and if there is anything wrong with the PSP it will give sony time to fix it and possibly the price will drop too. The only down side is if you feel left out of all the gaming goodness.

The price has already been set at €250 for Euro release. You should be able to get one now for about €200 ex shipping. The warranty is the only reason to wait. But if you have a friend in America that solves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ok theres 2 things to consider japanese ones have a chance of playing european movies US one dont
    secondly US==Xbutton for ok jap==obutton for ok
    and if you order a certain us model you get a free game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I got the Jap model when i was in the US and i got 2 games free and a 128mb card all for $389, the games were ridge racer and wipeout pure. I didnt want to get the US value pack because i wanted to play the movie discs when they come out here because the us machine is region 1.

The o button on the jap machine applies for the main system, where as the games operate as normal with X being ok.
    One thing some people said is that the Jap screen is better, but i have already noticed 3 dead pixles but fortuanitly not in the middle of the screen.

Cant wait till GTA LibertyCityStories for the PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gunfire77

I don't think u should get it because PS3 is coming out in a year so there's no point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

gunfire77 wrote:
    I don't think u should get it because PS3 is coming out in a year so there's no point.
    There completly different formats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ciaran500 wrote:
    There completly different formats.
    Yeah, there's no point trying to compare them.

HMV on Grafton street are stocking some PSP accessories already. Pretty good prices on the stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

im having the same dilemma. dont know whether i should get one now or wait and get the ps3? a bit sketchy about getting a japanese one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

gunfire77 wrote:

well seing as rumours are that you can use a psp as a ps3 controler well thats just SOOOOOOOOO cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,607 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cough l@@K at my sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

no need to rush now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

yer im stuck in the same as u. because if customs or whatever it is finds it and fines me... im doomed. and yup later on in the year new korean models will have a built in browser
    flunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,607 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im splitting my psp up now if any ones interested

l@@K at my sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭DJlee

i was going to wait till sept 1st, but i bit the bullet last tuesday, and bought a brand new jap value pack and ridge racer off a guy on here for 300 euros!
    this is possibly the best little machine i have ever bought!#
    im absolutely in love with it!
    FAIR ****S SONY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ridge Racers is such a good game. The more you play the more you unlock, the more you unlock the more movies you get to watch, and they look so sweet on the PSP's wide screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 otester

to import to UK do i have to pay VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You don't have to pay British VAT, you only the Irish VAT which is 20.1%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

otester wrote:
    to import to UK do i have to pay VAT?

No VAT is paid when importing from other EU countries.

If you are talking about importing from USA / Japan etc. you will have to pay duty before receiving the goods.

Source:
    http://www.dhl.co.uk/info/duty.html

What goods are subject to Duty & VAT?
    All goods imported into the UK from outside the EU must be declared to HM Customs & Excise and, in most cases, are subject to customs duty & VAT. This includes goods bought over the Internet.

What is the value for Duty?
    Customs assess the amount of Duty to be paid based on the declared value of the goods plus the transport costs to the country of destination.

What is the value for VAT?
    The value for VAT is the declared value of the goods plus the transport costs to the country of destination plus the customs duty.

Example of Duty calculation
    Goods2 special edition "Hits of the 80's" CD setsValue of goods£80 +Transport to the UK£35
    blackdot.gifTotal value for Duty£115 x 3.5% Duty = Total Duty payable £4.02

Example of VAT calculation
    Value of goods£80 +Transport to the UK£35 +Duty charges£4.02
    blackdot.gifTotal value for VAT£119.02 x 17.5% = Total VAT payable £20.83

Therefore the total import Duty and VAT charges payable on import of these goods would be £24.85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 otester

any good websites in ship from EU that i can a PSP from? for under £165 (inc. delivery) ?

Advertisement