Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p2p complaint through esat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lexmark.Printer

Snaga wrote:
    Ah yes, but everyone likes to limit any possible liability when they can, regardless of current practices by the RIAA/MPAA and their counterparts (who would really like ISP's to be responsible if only the (current) law of <insert country> would let them).

It still seems like a fairly sensible approach to pass the information along to the customer, at the very least its a warning to them that they have been caught doing something naughty and should maybe stop before people in this country start getting sued for movie sharing.

I aggree with you. :)

Maybe the other ISP's did get contacted by SONY and didn't bother to let there customer know!! :eek:

<edit> is a BitTorrent tracking site in Sweden with 150,000 users a day. In the fall, it posted a torrent for Shrek 2. Dreamworks sent a cease-and-desist letter demanding the site remove it. One of the site's pseudonymous owners, Anakata, replied: "As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe [and] US law does not apply here. … It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are ****ing morons." Shrek 2 stayed up.

The site is still up and running.

Good article on Bittorrent's here Wired - The BitTorrent Effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Anyone get a call via Eircom yet ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom have a policy of not calling people . The first you will know about a complaint about Eircom Bittorrent users is when the summons arrives in your letterbox from Sony etc ........ maybe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

<edit> is a BitTorrent tracking site in Sweden with 150,000 users a day. In the fall, it posted a torrent for Shrek 2. Dreamworks sent a cease-and-desist letter demanding the site remove it. One of the site's pseudonymous owners, Anakata, replied: "As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe [and] US law does not apply here. … It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are ****ing morons." Shrek 2 stayed up.

How long did you live in America??.....because the seasons you referred to as fall is called Autumn here.

Have a nice day Lexmark.Printer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

damn ... If only I lived in sweden :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They now have one from Apple too. :D I love that legal threats section. I laughed my head off the first time I read those. And they're still in operation.
    A guy i know from some LANs got a mail from his isp, with an attachment from paramount, who had tracked his downloading an episode of enterprise. don't know what dl client he was using, but the mail said delete the file and don't do it again and no further action would be taken.

P.S. imagine getting busted for downloading star trek. the shame of it!! :D

Now suing over TV shows that they're going to show on the telly anyway is just pathetic and stingy. I'll just continue to ignore them. The lawsuits are futile anyway as there's a higher chance of dying in a car crash than getting sued.

Theres another thread on this subject here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

julius wrote:
    How long did you live in America??.....because the seasons you referred to as fall is called Autumn here.

Have a nice day Lexmark.Printer

Spot the person who didnt read the article...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

1: Next mention of a tracker or website gets banned.
    2: Julius, you have nothing to add to the conversation and don't bother reading, stop posting.

@ Giblet - Apology for posting torrent site name. I’ll be more careful when I cut and paste from another article.

@ Julius – It was cut and pasted from Wired and thanks I’m having a great day!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Could any of the people who have received one of these warnings please tell us if they use Peer Guardian or not? I use it all the time and I share over 200Gb of content - as of yet I've never been contacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

what films were you downloading ? new releases were they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

just to let people know, some of the tv download sites have been shut down, the one i used most is now gone.

Damn it now im gonna have to wait for sky to catch up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Nephew wrote:
    i've tens of gigs of music and movies on my pc which i ripped myself from cds and dvds my family own (i've never seeded or uploaded any of it), but i have downloaded albums and movies but they would only amout for maybe 10% of the files on my pc. in the unlikely event that you were brought to court by the irma how would they distinguish from what i download and what i rightfully own?
    They could just ask you to produce CD's for every album on your computer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Sparky_S wrote:
    just to let people know, some of the tv download sites have been shut down, the one i used most is now gone.

Damn it now im gonna have to wait for sky to catch up!
    I wouldn't worry (unless I was being sued). Filesharing has grown up with this kinda stuff and is still around today. Unless legal proceedings go entirely in their favour, filesharing should continue in some other form. In the meantime you can enjoy the sunshine and boycott these people trying so hard to protect their million dollar profits.

Here is news of what has happened:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588-5705142.html
    the comments posted on that page are interesting, especially this
    http://news.zdnet.com/5208-9588-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=10339&messageID=206580&start=50

cregser wrote:
    I wouldn't worry (unless I was being sued). Filesharing has grown up with this kinda stuff and is still around today. Unless legal proceedings go entirely in their favour, filesharing should continue in some other form. In the meantime you can enjoy the sunshine and boycott these people trying so hard to protect their million dollar profits.

Here is news of what has happened:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588-5705142.html
    the comments posted on that page are interesting, especially this
    http://news.zdnet.com/5208-9588-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=10339&messageID=206580&start=50

Interesting especially that second link! :D

Anyway here the responce from the UK torrent site.

Dear
    Sir / Madam.

I'm the site owner of <remove> and understand you wish to serve me with a law suit for copywrite infringement on a number of torrents on the site I run?

I writing this to inform the parties wishing to bring this suit against me that I have not infringed on any of the parties copywrite as mentioned in the letter sent to myself via my server host.
    I do not and will not ever host any material of this nature for download from my site or server.

All that I have done is offer a site I constructed in my spare time as a way to teach myself a bit more about the internet side of computing to be used by others on the WWW. If a user wishes to post a torrent file on the site that will result in a download from there system to that of another user, and is then found that copywrite is owned by one of your clients, this is the users who partake in that activities responsibility and not myself.

I do not have any files for download on <removed> and have not in the past or will not in the future.

The site only provides a view of the data obtained from the .torrent text file and any users who are connected to that file as to how many users and how much data has been transferred ECT.

At no time in the transfer of data between users does any copywrited material pass through my own site and server which can be proved by the servers bandwidth usage per month. The site is for the display of data only and provides a meeting place for users to chat and partake in other site activities such as radio casts and video shows provided by it's users.
    The site also offers help and support for all computer issues and the sites users pride themselves on the community they provide to others all over the world using direct communication via a shout box and windows own remote assistance tool.

At the time of writing this I have 15,385 members and of which only 1,550 members are partaking in the use of the tracker services offered here for what ever use they are putting it to.

If you wish to see for yourselves that no Movie,MP3,TV ect files are held or transferred via my site and server then a inspection is welcome at any time with the permissions of the host provider and always has been.
    I offered this way back in 2004 when I was first contacted about this issue and had the reply that all was well as I did not host any material on the servers so was within the laws as they stand and my host was still happy to host the site due to this.

I now think it's wrong that some 12-16 months later I’m having to do all this again and now told I face a court case to answer the action of the users of the site when the rules change from week to week and court case to court case !!!!.

As I understand the last court rulings "MGM v. Grokster" it was found that a provider of a product or service as known as P2P due to this ruling went in favour of Grokster in the matter of them not being liable for it's users actions and the fact that at no time is any of the file being transferred by a user ever hosted or transferred via the sites own server.
    If this is the case how is it that such a small site as mine that’s been running within these same rules now being held liable.
    As I’m not a lawyer or anything I may have the wrong impression this case gave to the legality of such a site and the position of blame for the user’s actions.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this issue I have nothing to hide and will help all I can to come to an agreement on this matter.

On a side note,

A torrent file is like a map to were you can get the data you want, thats up to the individual what they do with the map. You can get maps that list all the banks in the Ireland does that mean the shops that sell the maps get law suits ??

Start burning your maps!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

<Please don't tell people how to download warez better>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

They could just ask you to produce CD's for every album on your computer...
    It's not up to you to prove that all your music was obtained legally, it's up to them to prove otherwise. The reason they go after uploaders rather than downloaders is because it's much easier for them to prove. They will have the file you uploaded, and records of the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

smileyrecords banned for a week.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Now suing over TV shows that they're going to show on the telly anyway is just pathetic and stingy.
    Except that if people begin watching torrents of their TV shows instead of their TV, advertising loses out. That means that TV companies won't be able to charge as much for advertising, as they're getting lower viewer counts, which means they make less money. Which means they'll only be able to invest money in sure-fire wins like Big Brother 17 (in a worst case scenario).

Except that if people begin watching torrents of their TV shows instead of their TV, advertising loses out.

Tbh I'd skip the ads anyway, they're the television version of spam.
    That means that TV companies won't be able to charge as much for advertising, as they're getting lower viewer counts, which means they make less money. Which means they'll only be able to invest money in sure-fire wins like Big Brother 17 (in a worst case scenario)

They already do that on RTE. When's the last time they showed anything half decent! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What client are (or were) you using? Is there a way of hiding your ip address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

read the op.

with torrent files there are 2 ways but they are both slow and complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

newsgroups ensure total anonymity and downloading at full speed but expect to pay 10 euros a month for the privilage of access to them. trials are avaiable for 3 dollars for 3 days of unlimited downloads. one can exceed the cap in a day or so!

Azureus comes with some options to increase anominity. Had a new system called JPC integrated into it that increases anominity in the latest release and also has a random peer identity function in it as well.

You could route your traffic through the Tor network, which is about as annoymous as is possible with current technologies. But expect speeds to be quite quite slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

You could route your traffic through the Tor network, which is about as annoymous as is possible with current technologies. But expect speeds to be quite quite slow.
    Wow, using Tor now. It seems to change my IP address for every page I visit. I have it set up for Firefox but not IE. I went to www.showmyip.com in both browsers and IE gives the correct info but Firefox says I'm from Germany, then Georgia.

I wonder though, does this mean my IP address is shared amongst Tor network users? If it changes so frequently though, i'd say nothing is traceable. Cool!

IIRC Tor works by sending your HTTP requests to other Tor users, and they donwload the various parts of the page for you. Then, it gets routed randomly (ish) through the tor network til it makes its way to you. Thus the packet could be destined for anyone along the hop, and no-one can tell where it actually ends up.

Its pretty annoymous, but as with everything, its not perfect. But for all intents and purposes, its very hard to trace. But, it is slow.

• Advertisement

IIRC Tor works by sending your HTTP requests to other Tor users, and they donwload the various parts of the page for you. Then, it gets routed randomly (ish) through the tor network til it makes its way to you. Thus the packet could be destined for anyone along the hop, and no-one can tell where it actually ends up.

Its pretty annoymous, but as with everything, its not perfect. But for all intents and purposes, its very hard to trace. But, it is slow.

Couldn't someone possibly see whats being sent?

Advertisement