Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jon Obi Mike....Man U or Chelsea

• 12-05-2005 1:05pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This transfer has taken yet another twist this morning, with SAF having to cancel his planned trip to Norway, as the player has gone missing. Appartently he has been taken away by agents representing Chelsea.

If Chelsea do manage to capture his signature, there has to be a major investigation as to why it was allowed to happen, as Man U claim to have a signed contract from the player stating he will join them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4540261.stm

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Also according to this link, Mikel has signed a 4 year deal with Man U and since signing Mikel has been assigned a round-the-clock bodyguard after receiving death threats, the source of which is yet to be established.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Teams/Manchester_United/story_152098.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

He's not happy at joining United it seems, I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll end up at Chelsea.

From the Evening Standard:

'SIR ALEX FERGUSON took the dramatic step of flying to Oslo today as the row over Nigerian teenage John Obi Mikel took a dramatic new twist. The Manchester United manager was due to arrive in the Norwegian capital this afternoon after the 18-year-old failed to show for training with his club Lyn Oslo this morning. Although United beat Chelsea to the signature of Mikel in a £4million in April, the Premiership champions remain hopeful they can prise him away from Old Trafford.

Today the player said he was unhappy at the way his move to United had been handled and that he would prefer to join Chelsea. Mikel fled from Lyn Oslo's cup-tie against Klemetsrud last night and there have been unconfirmed reports of a sighting of Mikel and agent John ****tu in Oslo airport this afternoon, with the suggestion the pair were preparing to board a flight to London.

It is the first time Mikel has missed training during his two-year stay in Oslo and club officials are growing increasingly concerned for his safety. He has been under armed guard since receiving death threats earlier in the week.

United are also extremely worried about the welfare of the player and such is their concern that Ferguson decided to fly to Oslo to resolve the situation. United's director of youth football, Jim Ryan, was one of the last people to see Mikel last night and today expressed his worst fears. He said: "I've never experienced any like this before and am very worried for the boy." Chelsea are monitoring the situation after missing out on a player described by Jose Mourinho as "pure gold".

Mikel said: "I don't want to play for Manchester United anymore. I'm not satisfied with the way Lyn have handled this case and I'm angry that they sent the police after me. I find this very degrading."

His agent, John ****tu, added: "John Obi is angry now. We're angry at Lyn because the boy has just had his 18th birthday and has become a punchbag. It's turned into a circus with everyone following us every step of the way. John has taken everything personally and how can he play his best football in these circumstances?"

If this turns out to be the case, contracts are not worth the paper there wrote on, or is that only the case when Chelsea want a player as they can can just buy their way out of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Sounds like Romans "boys" have had a word with him or his family!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

of course they have :rolleyes:

player doesn't want to play for united, must be mafia involvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leonard wrote:
    If this turns out to be the case, contracts are not worth the paper there wrote on, or is that only the case when Chelsea want a player as they can can just buy their way out of trouble.

Well in fairness it's been that way for a while, at least from a players pov. Anytime they want anything or want a move they just demand it or strike, contract or not, so why should clubs be forced to honour them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What's his agent called?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

growler wrote:
    LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He recieved threats after joining United, I figure there will be a police investigation.
    Fergieis goneup there now, I'm sure he'll sort it out and he'll be in a United shirt next January

PHB wrote:
    Fergieis goneup there now, I'm sure he'll sort it out and he'll be in a United shirt next January

He's actually called off his trip to Norway according to latest reports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Frisk first now players, Russian owner, you will see your mano Michael Moore involved now!! ;)

wow, the BBC said that too.

I'm somewhat confused, if he has signed the 4 year contract, what can anyone do?
    I assume to cancel the contract costs a huge huge amount of money?
    Can Chelsea sign him afterwards?
    Do I not understand contracts?

---

The fact taht fergie cancelled his trip isn't a bad thing you know, other bigger things went on today at Man Utd after Glazier just took over the club.
    I'd imagine that would be Fergies priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

growler wrote:

Growler your humour has me in stitches once more! keep it up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

growler wrote:

LOL

that deserves to be moved to the humor section

Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    wow, the BBC said that too.

I'm somewhat confused, if he has signed the 4 year contract, what can anyone do?
    I assume to cancel the contract costs a huge huge amount of money?
    Can Chelsea sign him afterwards?
    Do I not understand contracts?

---

He's a United Player For four years unless they agree to sell him. They could hold onto his registration and not pay him if he refuses to honour his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Contracts can be anulled.

Remember for every player sale there are two contracts.

1 between the clubs
    2 between the player and the buying club

Generally the playing club drop their contractual claim on a player in return from some cash (whats known in the busienss as consideration).

Both parties are in agreement, one offers, one accepts then the consideration happens.

Thats the legal definition of a contract.

Perhaps whats happend here is the contract between the clubs might have been worked out but the contract between the player and club has come accroper?

Contracts can be cancelled for various reasons but 1 arguement for them is undue influence which might be used in this case. Say for instance if the agent and the club selling unduely influence the kid into signing for any one team.

Messy but im surprised it has not come to this yet.

Emmo

BaZmO* wrote:
    What's his agent called?

B.

John sh1ttu.

Say nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i dont know anything about this player. is he any good? is he worth the bother?

jumpa

Sky Sports News are reporting that Jon is currently in London visiting Chelsea officials. They also showed pictures of him at a press conference a few weeks ago holding up a United jersey - all funny, weird stuff.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics04_05/football/africa/mikel_johnobi_shirt.jpg

Seems to me like something has changed, cause he looks fairly happy there :)

I figure its agent talk, and the fact that the agent could probably get more money from a Chelsea deal.

• Advertisement

growler wrote:

Player wanted to play for Utd
    Mafia Involvement
    Player now wants to play for Chelsea :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics04_05/football/africa/mikel_johnobi_shirt.jpg

Seems to me like something has changed, cause he looks fairly happy there :)

I figure its agent talk, and the fact that the agent could probably get more money from a Chelsea deal.

That was at the press conference weeks ago was it not? when he signed the contract utd say they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What the **** is going on at Man Utd these days? Jesus Christ it should be on Oprah Winfrey show...ratings would rocket and we may get some cash to buy someone this summer.

Stekelly wrote:
    That was at the press conference weeks ago was it not? when he signed the contract utd say they have.

He is contracted to United according to his club as well. I saw a represeetative of his club interviewed and he maintained the player was very happy with the deal up until yesterday when The player is said to have recieved death threats and is now in London.

I don't know what to make of it but maybe we should wait until the full story is out in the open befrore laughing it off. Heres an article with some background before todays developements.

Security worries sent Mikel into hiding
    Oslo soccer club Lyn sent their talented young soccer star John Obi Mikel to a secret location for five days after announcing that he'd signed on with Manchester United. Alleged threats had come into Lyn's Oslo office, and club officials feared for Mikel's safety.

John Obi Mikel spent five days at an Oslo hotel, because of concerns for his personal safety.

The 18-year-old Mikel also was worried about the threats. Newspaper Aftenposten reported Tuesday that he thus was quickly and quietly driven up to Oslo's fashionable - and highly secure - Holmenkollen Park Hotel in the hills above the capital, instead of going home to his house in suburban Bekkestua.

It remains unclear where the threats came from, but it is clear that Mikel's transfer to Manchester United has angered his former agents and officials at rival English soccer club Chelsea. Most thought that Mikel, originally from Nigeria, would end up at Chelsea before Manchester United snatched him up.

It's been reported that several people may have lost money on Mikel's surprise transfer. Before he joined Lyn last summer, two agents had allegedly secured deals with the then-underage player. One of the contracts reportedly secured one of the agents 30 percent of Mikel's gross earnings.

Lyn ignored those agents and signed a deal directly with Mikel's parents when they brought Mikel to Oslo. Late last month, just after Mikel had turned 18 and therefore was of legal age in Norway, Lyn's attorney wrote letters to the agents cancelling the contracts on behalf of Mikel. That same evening, Mikel signed on with Manchester United.

Another agent who allegedly tried to visit Mikel at his suburban Oslo home, Jack Karadas, refused to respond to questions from Aftenposten.

Mikel, meanwhile, is back home again but Lyn has tightened security around him. Lyn director Morgan Andersen said he's most keen that players get to choose which club they want to join.

"He's God's gift to his family, and now has the possibility to support both himself and those closest to him," Andersen said. "It's not right that other people run off with large portions of the earnings for his talent."

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

If he has signed for United then he can have a meetings with Chelsea all he wants. Cheslea shouldnt be aloud to but players anymore. they dont get who they wont so what do they do......kidnapp the player and bring him the chelsea for talks.lol

If he has signed for United are Chelsea not guilty of tapping up a player?= under contract?

If he is in talks with any Club without his current clubs permission they are in Breach of the rules but as we have seen with Cole and Ferdinand Chelsea appear to be operating by their own set of rules.

Sky Sports News are running an exclusive interview with him all morning, and in it he claims he was pressured into signing for United by his current club and by Man U officials. He maintains that he does not want to play for Man U and he has denied having any contact with Chelsea. He also goes on to say that he was denied time to think before he signed.

To me, it looks like somebody or something has gotten to him since he signed for Man U. Whoever or whatever it is seem to be telling him exactly what to say to try and get out of the contract.

Man U have asked the Premier League to launch an inquirey into the matter.

Leonard wrote:
    To me, it looks like somebody or something has gotten to him since he signed for Man U.

It's down to money, pure and simple imo.

• Advertisement

Here is the jist of what he said in the interview...

John Obi Mikel has added another twist to his transfer saga by insisting that he was pressurised into signing for Manchester United.

The Nigerian starlet was seemingly snapped up by United from Norwegian side Lyn Oslo last week, but the deal has now been shrouded in controversy.

The 18-year-old had been previously courted by Chelsea but Lyn said that United had been the keener side and swooped in to sign him.

However, Mikel then went missing from training in Norway and claims emerged that he wanted to sign for Chelsea and not The Red Devils.

Sir Alex Ferguson was due to fly to Norway for crisis talks only to cancel his trip as the teenager had disappeared, and thought to be heading to London for talks with Chelsea.

The talented young African has now told Sky Sports News that he feels he was pressurised into signing for United and does not think he had made his own decision.

"I signed a contract with Manchester United and I didn't do that of my own free will," Mikel exclusively told Sky Sports News.

"I was put under a lot of pressure to do that. I was denied advice from my agent and people I trust and I didn't get much time to think about that.

"I did something I did not want to do. Because of the pressure from Mr Morgan (Andersen, Lyn's sporting director) and a representative of United it became too much.

"I was pushed and I had nobody on my side so I had to do it.

"I was denied a chance to have a week to think about it and get some independent advice from people so the pressure was too much."

United fear Mikel has been in London with his agents Jerome Anderson and John ****tu in order to try and engineer a move to Stamford Bridge, but he claims to have had no contact with The Blues.

"No, I haven't," replied Mikel when asked about any Chelsea contact, although he did not rule it out in the future.

"I came into London and I have been in my hotel with my agent and haven't seen anyone or talked to anyone from Chelsea.

"I have no contact with Chelsea for now."

United supremo David Gill has insisted that their deal for Mikel is watertight, but the African's latest comments have muddied the waters further in what is turning out to be a real transfer drama.

Leonard wrote:
    Sky Sports News are running an exclusive interview with him all morning, and in it he claims he was pressured into signing for United by his current club and by Man U officials. He maintains that he does not want to play for Man U and he has denied having any contact with Chelsea. He also goes on to say that he was denied time to think before he signed.

To me, it looks like somebody or something has gotten to him since he signed for Man U. Whoever or whatever it is seem to be telling him exactly what to say to try and get out of the contract.

Man U have asked the Premier League to launch an inquirey into the matter.

Interesting . Hope the premier league get to the bottom of it and take action against any club that has broken the rules. That said if the lad really doesn't want to join United and is under no duress they should move him on.

The Muppet wrote:
    Interesting . Hope the premier league get to the bottom of it and take action against any club that has broken the rules. That said if the lad really doesn't want to join United and is under no duress they should move him on.

I would have to agree with you, but surely this cant be allowed to happen.

Tapping up springs to mind. A player contracted by one club been offered a better deal by another club. Now which club has been accused of this already this season? let me think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Leonard wrote:

"I have no contact with Chelsea for now."

Well it seems that the old saying "money talks....." is showing to be true here.

It will be interesting to see if Chelsea can get away with this, from my experience every contract has a get out clause so I reckon if he can prove that he was pressured into signing the United contract he will be able to get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Has anyone seen this kid play? is he worth all the hassle? Surely United have bigger worries at teh moment.
    If Chelsea are Guilty of anything then hopefully it will come out and they will be punished appropriately, if they are guilty of nothing then lets get on with preparing for next season and worry about our own club and not Chelsea.

Was the lad not under contract with Lyn when United were talking to him? Is that not "tapping up"?

• Advertisement

They can have him for 20M :p Don't want anyone who doesn't want to play. It obvious Chelsea have got to him. This cannot be allowed to continue.
    Any hint of anyone decent signing for anyone else, they stop it by whatever means works, by the legal or illegal.

Was the lad not under contract with Lyn when United were talking to him? Is that not "tapping up"?

They had permission from the club :rolleyes: . Even the CLub has come out and said he has signed for United.

TheMonster wrote:
    They had permission from the club :rolleyes: . Even the CLub has come out and said he has signed for United.
    Just because the club favour United over Chelsea, its coming out as if they are the white knights, the player is saying he was forced to sign for United.

There is a lot more to come of this and people should wait and hear the full story before jumping in and claiming mafia involvment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What has Blatter to say on the matter? :D

Imposter wrote:
    What has Blatter to say on the matter? :D

He thinks the young fella needs a clip around the ear.

• Advertisement

Just because the club favour United over Chelsea, its coming out as if they are the white knights, the player is saying he was forced to sign for United.

There is a lot more to come of this and people should wait and hear the full story before jumping in and claiming mafia involvment etc.

Take off those old blinkers JT. UNited did everything above board and by the book according to his club. The player has signed a contract with United so he must also have favoured United. Where did he say he was forced to sign for United?

The club actually favoured Mau U becauce Chelsea innitially came in with an offer which the club felt was not good enough. Therefore when MUFC came in with a half decent offer, the clubs began to talk.
    Chelsea made a formal offer to Lyn that did not meet their valuation, opening the door to United.

quote taken fromhere

Well it must be the Manchester Mafia that were in on this act not the Russians, this poor young fella says he was forced to sign for Manusa,

"Obi claims he was pressured into signing for United and Chelsea still believe they will land him.

I have been in my hotel with my agent and haven't seen anyone or talked to anyone from Chelsea

John Obi Mikel

"I signed a contract with Manchester United and I didn't do that of my own free will. I was put into a lot of pressure to do that," Obi said.

"And I was denied advice from my agent and people I trust and I didn't get much time to think about that.

"I did something I did not want to do. Because of the pressure from Mr Morgan (Andersen, Lyn's sporting director) and a representative of United it became too much.

"I was pushed and I had nobody on my side so I had to do it. I was denied a chance to have a week to think about it and get some independent advice from people so the pressure was too much."

Mikel was asked if he had been in contact with Chelsea but he stressed: "No, I haven't.

"I came into London and I have been in my hotel with my agent and haven't seen anyone or talked to anyone from Chelsea. I have no contact with Chelsea for now."

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has expressed his surprise that the player was considering going elsewhere"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4540261.stm

now that's from the horse's mouth and doesn't sound very above board. I propose that the Manchester Broncos be docked twelve points and forbidden from signing anyone under 35 for the next 3 years.

Well from what i've gathered:

Chelsea were interested in buying.
    Chelsea did not send MOurinho, sent the youth team guy.
    Lyn insulted
    Chelsea then made an offer below their valuation
    Lyn rejected
    United saw the oppurtunity
    Made a bid of 4 mill, with allowence for Mikel to play the rest of the season
    Lyn accepted
    Mikel then accepted[perhaps under duress, which would void the contract]
    Mikel recieved threats
    Mikel went to London with agents
    Now has an interview out

If Chelsea are talking with the player whatsoever, it is tapping up since Lyn has not allowed it.
    The contract may be voided if he can prove duress, but he will have to prove it and thats very tough to do. He has to be under threat, i.e. physical threat, for duress to occur, or economic, but I doubt that has an effect.
    If he doesn't want to play for United still after we gain control of the contract, since be bought him for 4 mill, I'm sure we could sell him on for more and that'd be a nice piece of business.
    I'm sure after all this hassle he will turn out to be **** anyway, but the fact that United are taking it so seriously would suggest otherwise

p.s. Why would the United people threaten him after he had signed, makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

growler wrote:
    now that's from the horse's mouth and doesn't sound very above board. I propose that the Manchester Broncos be docked twelve points and forbidden from signing anyone under 35 for the next 3 years.

here here!

Growler - You are a legend.

Funny how having their life threatened can make someone change their mind.

growler wrote:
    Mikel was asked if he had been in contact with Chelsea but he stressed: "No, I haven't.

"I came into London and I have been in my hotel with my agent and haven't seen anyone or talked to anyone from Chelsea. I have no contact with Chelsea for now."

Surely the guy went out for dinner. I wonder did he go our for a Greek meal last night?

reading between the lines here Muppet I think it's the player agent or his associates that have been applying this new pressure / threats etc., whether thats because they don't want him turning his back on an agreed deal with Utd or because they now want him to sign a more lucrative deal with Chelsea, I don't know. Agents are parasites.

But, if a player comes out and says he was forced to sign a contract under duress and denied independent advice, then Utd. will have to ask themselves if their agents / representatives behaved correctly. They can't force him to play against his will so the contract / agreements become meaningless, they won't necessarily make a profit on a resale and I doubt they will have paid Lyn any money as of yet, the only one likely to have received any dosh would have been a brown envelope to Oki's agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Just as I thought, the kid will say he was unduely influenced by the club.

What age is he by the way?

If he is under 18 there are even more severe restrictions on the contracts he can make.

Emmo

he's 18.

Be funny if he was staying at the Chelsea Village Hotel. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement