Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 different .com names pointing to 2 different folders on your web space?

Options
  • 12-05-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

can you have 2 .com names pointing to 2 different folders on your web space?? How much does it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That depends on your provider.
    Quite a few providers offer multiple domain hosting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Essentially, the answer is yes. I have 3 domains hosted with Blacknight on their basic hosting package. They are all separate (i.e. in different folders on the same server, have individual stats for each site, individual e-mail accounts etc.).

"What are you the advertising people for Blacknight - make recommendations, not sales pitches"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could also use masking and domain re-direction.
    I have a site (nixer for someone!) hosted on my own website. When I registered the .com domain on godaddy I specified that this new domain would go to mysite.com/subfolder and to mask it, i.e. use frames so that somewhere.com is in the address bar all the time.
    [I went back and used ASP & querystrings to fix it in the end as I thought it looked bad]
    Messy solution but works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

shameless self promotion is not allowed - unless you pay to advertise on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aspnet

I agree with KBANNON.

The best way to do it is thru redirection with it the default.asp(x) file (if Microsoft environment )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

is this the same as url forwarding ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Not really, normally forwarding a url leaves the end address in the browser. Having multiple domains handled by the webserver means each is a unique website.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

mada999 wrote:
    can you have 2 .com names pointing to 2 different folders on your web space?? How much does it cost?

Try instapro.net, $9.00 per year will get you a domain which includes web forwarding & masking.

Just create a folder in your current web server, generate a index page and then switch on masking and point your domain to it from your instapro account (I have three different domains pointing to 3 different folders on my web space). Access to it will only take a few minutes.

dl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

aspnet wrote:
    I agree with KBANNON.

The best way to do it is thru redirection with it the default.asp(x) file (if Microsoft environment )

No it bloody isn't. Google isn't a fan of redirection. If you must redirect, make it a permanent redirect, but any half-decent hosting package nowadays will let you host multiple domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Google's handling of redirects is crucial these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It isn't a good way to promote a commercial site from a SEO PoV but is someone wants a domain name pointing to a few files and doesn't expect/want much traffic then it is fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

you ll be best geting a cheap resseller and carving yourself as many spaces as you want each space is different from the other

if you get a good resseler account ull get WebHostManager with it or Plesk (if your on windows server) where it takes a second to set up an account

all you need then is go to your domain registrar and point the domain to your nameservers

hope that helps

by the way are you using Cpanel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah I'm using cpanel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

do u see something like

Addon Domains 0 / 1

in the left pannel?

if u do this will help

cpanel web hosting instructions - addon domains

:)

Advertisement