Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver DNS issue - Primarily in South

• 12-05-2005 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Anyone experiencing poor performance via Clicksilver in the last 2 weeks. My performance has gone from excellent to 56K dialup quality (only in last 2 days).

Status log in Modem says "Primary DNS server not found". Finds DNS periodically and then (re)loses it, over and over....Pings to DNS are circa 240-280ms

Tracked down all UTV's DNS machines on their site and tried them variously as DNS's in modem config. without success.

Rang UTV and was told there was a prob. primarily in South, and that I should use two particular DNS addresses. However they were the ones the modem was originally automatically picking up....so no breakthrough there.

UTV guy also said to use a proxy and quoted two IPs/port no.s - not sure what this will mean in terms of practical usage......Will it affect download speeds/browsing/gaming???

He also reset my password - anyone know is this a gesture or can it reset a glitch somewhere?

Anyone else going through this? Have any advice/opinions.

Seems to me that a drop in service of this magnitude should have been handled better by UTV. Will not be a customer beyond tomorrow if its not sorted as the impression I got is that it stems from a change UTV made in last 2 weeks - also had to coax info. out UTV support, 1 little bit at a time.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try 194.125.2.240 and tell us how that pings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

First of all thanks for your reply Sponge Bob. - I'm at work so will have to wait 'til the corporate machine is done with me.

Secondly Emerson posted BTIreland 2meg - Muck tonight detailing a confirmation from the good people at BT that there was a prob. isolated to the Limerick area with one of the cowboy outfits (€ircon) exchanges. This apparently happened on tuesday evening so fits the bill to a T.

Must check out €ircons on-hold tunes in a while, anyone ever chatted with their dense IVR/Robot??? If you pay peanuts you get monkeys - but how tight do you have to be to have that idiot on your payroll????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that bleddy Robot is on 1901 not 1800512128 , check the 061 situation with a human there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

With my luck the Robot would hear about it in the €ircon canteen and unravel the insulation tape thats (barely) holding my phone line together, just to spite me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

I ordered utv clicksilver 2 and half weeks ago decided to cancel my order got verification that my order was canceled by email then got another email yesterday saying my phoneline had been activated for clicksilver and the modem arrived today should i keep it or send it back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tom thumb wrote:
    I ordered utv clicksilver 2 and half weeks ago decided to cancel my order got verification that my order was canceled by email then got another email yesterday saying my phoneline had been activated for clicksilver and the modem arrived today should i keep it or send it back

Most people would be delighted to get connected so fast! :)

Why did you cancel it as a matter of interest?

If UTV confirmed to you that your cancellation had been accepted and you dont want to change your mind then surely the best course of action would be to email the full details of what happened so far to UTV and tell them if they want the modem returned to send you the cost of postage. I imagine that would cover any responsibility you would have in the situation as you describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I didnt read through the earlier part of this thread, but in relation to the last poster's comments I know that the only condition utv have with the free trial is that the customer pays for postage of the modem.
    I've no idea how much this is but I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Pat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

patch wrote:
    I didnt read through the earlier part of this thread, but in relation to the last poster's comments I know that the only condition utv have with the free trial is that the customer pays for postage of the modem.
    I've no idea how much this is but I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Pat.

In this case though the poster had apparently received confirmation from UTV that his application had been cancelled so responsibility for the cost of returning the modem should not be his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

i'll ring them tomorrow to find out if i can the money for the postage, i decided not to get it because i was always looking at gettin ibb and there offering free installation for the month of may so i decided to go with this, still waiting for them to install it though....

Advertisement