Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GB emulator for PSP running

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Fantastic stuff! I'll have to try that when I get home from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its great stuff considering the amount of time the Psp has been released, but its quite astonishing the amount of people who actually forget that they can play Genesis, Gameboy, and Snes roms on any symbian device :)

Still though, with this kind of stuff, the Psp is really going to overtake the DS not because its a better gaming device, but because of the potential that a memory stick offers in terms of third party stuff

Its great stuff considering the amount of time the Psp has been released, but its quite astonishing the amount of people who actually forget that they can play Genesis, Gameboy, and Snes roms on any symbian device :)

Used to have emulators on my P800, I dare say the PSP is slightly more comfortable to use! Symbian is an open platform so its easy to develop things for it(well, relatively), but its a lot more effort to get something running on the PSP. When it does though it means you'll have all those classic games on a portable system with all the right buttons in all the right places and a nice big screen, something you don't get with mobile phones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

How is the PSP not a better gaming device than the DS? The game library even now is far more exttensive and varied. Also they've got a screenshot of fullscreen emulation on psphacker. Still debating whether or not it's real of course :(

dregin wrote:
    How is the PSP not a better gaming device than the DS? The game library even now is far more exttensive and varied. Also they've got a screenshot of fullscreen emulation on psphacker. Still debating whether or not it's real of course :(

One way or another, with the amount of progress that's been made recently, it's only a matter of time before this is up and running perfectly so even if the screenshot is fake it is a sign of whats to come.

• Advertisement

there still hasn't been much movement away from firmware 1.0 . I've seen random speculation on what "could" be done to run code on it, but nothing has been released. When the snes emulator first made an appearance on psphacker they thought that it was running on 1.5 so maybe the people making that speculation believe it could be possible that code is already running on 1.5

I'm still running firmware 1.0 anyway.. Don't see any major need to upgrade at the moment, glad I didn't when I was going to a few weeks ago!

Don't know the details but there's definitely enough people working at it for someone to come up with a solution, just a matter of time.

steviec wrote:
    I'm still running firmware 1.0 anyway.. Don't see any major need to upgrade at the moment, glad I didn't when I was going to a few weeks ago!

Don't know the details but there's definitely enough people working at it for someone to come up with a solution, just a matter of time.
    Ya bastid!
    Mine came with 1.5 :| Apparently there's some very fiddly way of doing it. Apparently someone is workin on an easier way of rolling back. Canb't wait myself.

Petty Sony wouldnt get a bit nice and release some sort of SDK like they did for the PS1 and 2.

[edit]
    forgot there are also psp v1.0 motherboards available to buy online. You could try installing one of them if you're really desperate....
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

****, got a Japanese 1.50 :\

I'd quite happily stay away from new games for now if it meant I had some decent apps to play with. The South Korean psp is definitely shipping with a network utilities UMD. That should be fairly sweet. Hopefully it'll have a proper IRC client.

Just ordered my 1gig pro duo from England. Gotta order the logic3 keyboard soon too. Can't wait for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well seems like the psp is going to be the portable xbox rather than ps2 given all of these homebrew apps popping up, excellent, looking for a way to read text files on the psp, would like to download books and read them on the go, there is one but it involves converting text to jpegs and using the viewer, not a memory efficient system.

There's a text editor out for the PSP. I'm not sure what formats it can read though. I presume it's only stuff like .txt and .html

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well seems like the psp is going to be the portable xbox rather than ps2 given all of these homebrew apps popping up, excellent, looking for a way to read text files on the psp, would like to download books and read them on the go, there is one but it involves converting text to jpegs and using the viewer, not a memory efficient system.

www.psphacker.com has one that reads .txt files, I haven't tried it out yet though. Just scroll down the main page and you'll see it there.

The progress is unbelievable, there's new things being released every day pretty much. I wonder if it's in Sony's best interests to make things more difficult and force firmware upgrades. One of the selling points of the x-box is the way it can be modded and run emulators etc. while I know Sony can't publicly promote the PSP as being able to emulate Nintendo games, wouldn't it be good for them to just not do anything about it and let word of mouth go around. The GP32 console was completely built around it's homebrew support so it can't be that bad an idea.

And I don't think it'd diminish sales of UMDs too much, emulators are fun to play around with but I'm not gonna turn down GTA PSP so that I can play Wario Land or whatever... As for piracy, couldn't they just make sure games fill the UMD disc? Even with duplicate data or garbage, just make sure the game won't run unless its there. Very very very few people will have 2Gig memory sticks so that eliminates the problem.

steviec:
    I keep messaging ste in #lobby thinkikn you're there....5 days idle??? :P
    I want your 1.0 btw. Have a 1 gig stick comin to me in the post from England atm. Want to get some code running on this sooo badly.

Unfortunately they're pretty strict where I'm on intra, so stuck on boards!

Downside of 1.0 PSP: I have sticky square button syndrome. Hasn't effected any of the games I play at the mo too much, just lifting off x is good enough in Ridge Racers most of the time and the other games I have barely use square.

Got my 1 Gig stick last week though, the screen is just quality for movies. The loudspeakers are cack though. And I don't get why, they seem much better during games. Still, there's always headphones. I can see all that space filling up with other apps anyway the way things are going, about half my stick is devoted to mp3s and movies are probably more of a novelty than anything.

Advertisement