Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialup speeds with Esat/BT

• 12-05-2005 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have an Eircom phone line and use it for dial-up connection to the internet. I usually get arround 48kbps line speed. If I switch to an Esat/BT phoneline is there any possibility I might get lower speeds? Or are modem speeds independent of the provider you get your line from?

Appreciate any advice on this....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Well even if you change - the actual LINE itself is exactly the same as the one you have at the moment.
    And a 48k connection is superb in my book for dialup - stick with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

should be the same speed for all providers + or - 2k , 53k is a superb line IMO but 48k is not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

cheers....I realise the line would be the same, but I'd be dialling into a different modem in Esat. They might have greater loads/less dedicated bandwidth etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

As BT BB gives me a good speed then you will easily have a great speed with dialup.
    If BT can give me a 215KByte/s constant connection I think they can satisfy your need of 6KBytes/s.

As your line is capable of giving you ~50kbits already then nothing will change when dialing into BT equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thats behind the modem mate, the modems would connect at xxK but the bandwidth behind them awould be cack in your scenario.

IOL are OK to be fair to them and so are Eircom and Elive , dunno about the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

My eircom dial up connects at 46.6k all the time.
    If I dial out to esat it can be anything from 38.8k - 44kbps.
    Esat seems to be more "reactive" than eircom though.

Advertisement