Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIP Lab

• 12-05-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

I am looking to setup a SIP Lab , at present I have a SIP SoftPhone (LinPhone), two SIP Proxies (Asterisk), DNS Server (for E164,ENUM) and a FXO Server (Cisco ATA).

Am wondering if anyone has done similar, and if so what testing they performed. Assume simplest test would be to connect two softphones to switch, with Proxy , DNS , and make call ?????

What do you think !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

celt2005
    I have two grandstream phones and Asterik server set-up all voip works ok and have got dialout service from the states, I am looking for a cheap dialout solution to a local legacy pbx and access to company extensions, but don't want to purchase the Asterik E1 card to expensive. Any other cheap solution I can do with cisco ATA by providing multiple pots lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Ive used cheap hfc ISDN cards to connect asterisk to legacy phone systems, see www.junhanns.net for the hfczap patch, you cna pick up these cards for around 30 quid here in ireland!! quality is the same as an E1 with the obvious limitiation of only 2 channels per card, though i have put 4 cards into one system for 8 channels, you need to make a few changes but it worls perfectly. Ive interfaced with meridian's this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

sirlinux,

how did you interface with the meridian? did u need an add-in card for it?

Ive interfaced with meridian a few different ways, what cards do you have in your meridian, is it an E1 (PRI card) or ISDN card?

It's an E1

• Advertisement

The easiest way then is to get a dual port or 4 port e1 card for asterisk (they arent that cheap) and put it in between your incoming line and the meridian, the meridian never knows about it. If you had an ISDN card in the meridian it would be easy to programme up a trunk route and let asterisk pretend to be telephone provider using el cheapo hfc isdn cards, check your meridian system just in case there is one fitted for video conferencing or something. You can get loads more info at www.voip-info.org . Pm me for more specifics no point in boring everyone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

sirlinux wrote:
    Pm me for more specifics no point in boring everyone here.
    Keep it on the forum coz I found it interesting :)

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Off forum for a bit and now back again, apologies for the meandering :
    sirlinux wrote:
    Your exactly right. the meridian never knows what way the call is going, asterisk routes the incoming calls directly onto the meridian (or your sip clients if required), for outgoing calls your meridian dial asterisk picks it up and sends it whatever way you want. If you dont want eircom anymore you could just get a single port e1 card and connect to the meridian that way.
    bhickey wrote:
    ........ You spoke about putting a dual port or 4 port E1 card for asterisk between an incoming line and a Meridian. I assume that this means you have 2 effective connections :

1. Eircom E1 -> Asterisk E1 card port A
    2. Asterisk E1 card port B -> Meridian

If someone only wanted to use VoIP for outgoing calls over a broadband connection to an Asterisk box then for incoming calls on the Eircom E1 do you typically pass the calls straight through somehow to the Meridian as if the Asterisk box were no even there?

The above "should" also apply to any other phone system, but they arent all the same, stay away from analog ata's at all costs with the bigger systems , but it usually works ok with key systems(low end panasonics etc)

sirlinux wrote:
    The easiest way then is to get a dual port or 4 port e1 card for asterisk .

Do you mean something like a Digium TDM400P (TDM11B - one FXO, one FXS)?

• Advertisement

nope, afraid not, that card will only give you one analog channel each way, your looking at a Wildcard TE410P Wildcard TE405P or two Wildcard TE110P, or els look at the sangoma rang of e1 cards http://www.sangoma.com/ again this gear isnt cheap, though a lot cheaper than a card for a meridian. What are you hoping to achieve?

Advertisement