Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of Fun comedy Saturday feat. Neil Delamere

• 12-05-2005 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

[No Free advertising - if you want to advertise please contact the admins.]
    grrrr and no cross posting - its a lot of extra work for us to clean up

Joke of the Day :

An old man and woman were married for years even though they hated each other. When they had a fight, screams and yelling could be heard deep into the night.

A constant statement was heard by the neighbours who feared the man the most... "When I die I will dig me way up and out of the grave to come back and haunt ye for the rest of your life!"

They believed he practiced black magic and was responsible for missing cats and dogs, and strange sounds at all hours. He was feared and enjoyed the respect it garnished.

He died abruptly under strange circumstances and the funeral had a closed casket. After the burial, the wife went straight to the local bar and began to party as if there was no tomorrow. The gaiety of her actions were becoming extreme while her neighbours approached in a group to ask these questions:

Are you not afraid? Concerned? Worried? that this man who practiced black magic and stated when he died he would dig his way up and out of the grave to come back and haunt you for the rest of your life?

The wife put down her drink and said. . .
    "Nah... let the old bollox dig. I had him buried upside down!" BOOM BOOM !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chiarraigrrl

my thoughts on the last House of Fun gig (on a Sunday)...

It’s a good sign when you’re doing your weekly shopping on a Monday evening chuckling away to yourself as bits of a comedy show you saw the night before run through your head. Sunday night in the Axis Theatre was the second show of the new monthly comedy night in Ballymun, the House of Fun; introduced by MC Eric Lalor as an evening to put the audience in good form for the work week ahead, it certainly did just that.

Young local talent Garry O’Brien had the honours of opening the first half of the show again, and was well able for the challenge of warming up the crowd, with entertaining tales of youthful confusion (his “blow job” story had the audience in bits laughing, including those that had seen the previous show) and some musical comedy. Youthful confusion was on the mind of the very funny MC Eric Lalor as well, still earning chuckles a day later over his tale of his “wearrr”. I’d only spoil part of the joke explaining, it alone was worth the trip to Ballymun. Dean Scurry was recognised by returning members of the audience as the MC from the previous month’s opening show, and while his informal chatty style with the audience worked well as MC it may not be to everyone’s taste in his delivery of material, although much of it – the bit about the delis in Tesco’s stands out as a particularly entertaining moment – earned well-deserved laughs from the crowd. He would be well described a comedian with a social conscience, with some brave material which went over well with the audience. Headliner for the first half, Limerick man Dermot Whelan, had a well warmed-up audience by the time he arrived on stage, and had some members of the audience in tears laughing with his material. Particularly memorable were stories of watching his wife having a bath (“it makes me feel dirty in my pants!”. oh never mind, just don’t miss his next gig…) and ensuing attempts at his own relaxation in a bath nearly ending in disaster… Still laugh-out-loud funny more than 24 hours later, that’s all I’ll say!

Following a much-needed intermission to catch our breath, local comedian Willie White ably brought the audience back laughing, following up his comparisons between northside and southside pigeons with accurately funny material on the differences between northside and southside winos – and his description of northside winos using the phrase “any odds?” which southsiders hadn’t heard before would come back to haunt us with choked giggles when we heard it again later on. As the final act on a very funny night, Reuben offered skits which I would go so far as to call pure comedy genius at times, particularly “Time of the Month” – of course introduced with the plea not to kill him – and the skit about the hitchhiker. When he broke down laughing at himself – explaining that two brothers were mechanics and this is what he did for a living – the audience was laughing along with him, getting right back into performance mode when he shook off the giggles. Well worth the sore stomach muscles the next day. And when your co-workers start asking what all the random giggles are about as you’re still laughing over the material, just tell them where you were the night before…

Advertisement